Organic Soil Amendment

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Corto Malteze, Feb 7, 2009.

1. I don't mean to spam your thread but I have been reading on here about soil amendments and leaning a lot but I am still not sure enough about what I am doing to trust myself with the mixtures. I would be devastated if I did it wrong and burned my girls up. If anyone would care to take the time to help it would be so greatly appreciated. Here is the link to the thread http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1035998-please-help-soil-mixing-new.html

Again. Thanks you all so much in advance

2. welcome to the section! Post here any time! :wave:

3. Hey thank you. I have been growing indoors for years with chemical nutrients and I have that down pretty well. But mixing organic properties has me stumped. I am trying to figure out how to give the soil I am mixing just enough of everything to get it through until harvest

4. Does anyone have any experience with cocoa shells. I found them at the local nurseries and was wondering if you could use them in a organic soil mix.

5. #125 blackey, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
    Do you mean coco coir the fibers taken from coconut shells? If so yes that stuff is very organic unless you buy it from a not so great source or a cheap source than you should give it a good wash before using it. I just bought 11 pounds of coco coir from ebay for 34 dollars if ya want the link I'll link you to the page.

Just as an update this is my new soil mix

I just ordered coco coir 11 pounds.

I have my native soil but it is very very rich in clay so I bought the coco coir I will be going a 50/50 mix native soil to coco coir. than from that I will be adding perlite and a bit (a smidge) of peat moss.

However i can say that MG peat moss, if it is used in soil that does not drain freely insects will thrive in it. On 2 cups that had improper drainage bugs created this sort of web around the sides and on the top.

I also have neem cake that will be going in the center of my soil mix. The remaining neem cake will be put in water and i will distill that for 24 hours and spray the plant with it.

I now have 7 sprouted plants 4 are afghan 3 are some bagseed thaey are sativa I can tell by their looks. I have 6 more seeds in a cup i started germinating yesterday I really only have room for three more so I think I may grow the others in pots and hope for a few males to make more hash.

6. Nope I am talking about cocoa shells, like the stuff they make chocolate from. The shells are the left over husk from the cocoa bean. They appear that they would make a great replacement for perlite.

7. Yup cocoa shells can be used to make mulch and has good properties to enhance soil aeration and soil structure. the shells contains 2.5 percent nitrogen, 1 percent phosphate, 3 percent potash and has a ph level off 5.8

8. #128 urlove, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    Hey,

I was wondering if dust from a brick making company would be as useful as other naturally occuring rock dust?

Thanks,
    urlove

9. HOP Plant scraps and any other green veg matter is good for composting, eg hardwood leaves, grass clippings, fruit peels, and blackstrap molasses diluted in water in a small amount for your compost heap or bin.

• Like Like x 1