Organic Soil Amendment

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Corto Malteze, Feb 7, 2009.

1. This is not a serious post - I'm only joking!

Urlove

$4.00 per lb. delivered? For $3.00 a lb. I'll send it wrapped in paper from Tiffany's - embossed if you want! Monogrammed is an option. Want gold leaf? You got it.

Sweet mother of Jesus Christ.............

LD

2. Yup I got some bad chump karma don't I.
    I can't tell when a joke is a joke except when people point at me and laugh. Yes it sucks. Kind bad being me sometimes.
    Either I am burning some bad ass karma or...wasting more precious time.
    Back to the basement I go. Big mind is lost on what to do with me.
    Thanks for clarifying ,
    No place to hide even if I wanted to.
    Urlove

3. Yes Mother Mary won't even tell us how bad things might get.
    All I can do is pray that Padre Pio was right about humility being "the hard bread of life".
    Please bear in mind that my stash got robbed and I am kind of depressed.
    Yes I am crying.
    Ok so if you would please delete any quotes of mine I will do the same and never post here again thanks.
    Ur

4. urlove,

Nobody is laughing at you...seriously. I think the point is that it sucks that people have the gall to charge 30 dollars to ship something that can be shipped for 10 bucks +/- in a flat rate box through the USPS.

You're not wasting precious time by any means. You're here learning which is a good thing. Keep your chin up and keep your studies up...........You should also know that those of us here that spend their precious time teaching, do so because there are people like you that have a zest for learning.

chunk

5. What would be the rate of application for humid acid per cubic foot.

6. [quote name='"urlove"']Yes Mother Mary won't even tell us how bad things might get.
    All I can do is pray that Padre Pio was right about humility being "the hard bread of life".
    Please bear in mind that my stash got robbed and I am kind of depressed.
    Yes I am crying.
    Ok so if you would please delete any quotes of mine I will do the same and never post here again thanks.
    Ur[/quote]

Come on don't take things so badly, bad things, and people happen but the trick is to just keep on going and make the best out of the situation no matter what. We all get ripped off in this day age, that's just what the world is turning in to. I know that's a sad thing to say but its true, there's almost more cons and crooks than good honest folks these days but you should take pride in yourself that you are one of those few good people left.

Hope things turn around for you and you decide to stick around because like I said good people are in short supply but on here they're bountiful and always willing to lend a helping hand to any in need of guidance, advice or even just a laugh when you feel down and out.

7. Good post Jsmokey, urlove your dealing with a wide swath of characters here that vary by age and life experience with basically one thing in common. That being the herb we enjoy for pleasure and for pain and disease. If we only converse with those just like ourselves we don't really grow, do we? There will be anonymous posters that you may detest or fall in love with, just like in life. And like in real life we can deal with it, or run away. But if you want to learn, it won't happen overnight, hell I still struggle with English, lol. But if you read, question and plug away you will make progress. So I urge you to continue, let the BS roll off your back, like water off a duck, don't let a comment here or there get you down.....best of luck......MIW

8. #88 urlove, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    Nam myoho renke kyo

This duck's ordering up some
    kmag and crab for sure tonight
    before I head to the batcave

After reading again thread on silica the high costs of chemicals I leanred a lot.
    I need dynagro protek for foilar and horsetail/or dandelion/or comfry /or nettle for soil silica.

If I make fpe's and have neem/crab/kelp in the soil,
    I might wait on adding s rock phosphate..

The ammonia probably was from the org composted chicken maure along with all the alfalfa.
    Ok I can nevermind the lime thank you Wee.

Good reading LD's Silica thread again. Ok, got it plant based elements more available.
    Ammend my comfrey bed.

Re the 1 cup of gypsum that I" threw at it
    out of fear of ammonia.

Its slow and painful at times, but sooner or later somebody sends me a good laugh, some music, some good advice and a mother to hack up.

Lucky me
    Thank you

Also why are people not using dandelion as much,or are they?
    url durgahands

9. #89 WeeDroid, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    Dandelion is great to use. Some folks have easier access to it than others. One of LDs techniques is to rattle off a bunch of materials and techniques, and us lucky gardners get to pick and choose the ones best suited for us and our gardens.

Kinda cool I think. :)

I would go comfrey over nettles as it's easier to work with. Maybe once I get a bit more settled into this organic paradigm, I will go out searching the fabled nettles.

LD doesn't recommend liming products, but they can be helpful in certain situations. As I build my own soil mix, I don't see a need for liming. But since I have some left over form previous grows, I am using small amounts as I build my soil just to use up what I have and not waste it.

10. Hi everyone,
    I know what the general thought is here at GC regarding Miracle Grow/Scotts soil so I dont want to stir that pot. I do want to know your opinions on their organic choice soil ammendments. In particular, their bone/blood meal. I was in Home Depot a while ago and saw that they stock Espoma products but for whatever reason they never have bone/blood meal. They do however carry the MG/Scotts brand. The blood meal is 12-0-0 and the bone is 6-9-0. Both bags say that the product is not drived from "cow for higher quality" but on the back it says "porcine derived". I looked up the term porcine and it relates to pig/swine. What makes pig better than cow? It does not have the OMRI stamp on it but from what I have been reading, you guys dont really care much that stamp anyhow (correct?).

I only consider this because its local and I wont have to spend extra for shipped unless this stuff is no good?

As always, thanks!;)

11. #91 WeeDroid, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  12. Thanks, I respect you guys' opinions here so I'll skip the product. I was also thinking that since Home Depot has all the Espoma products except for what Im looking for, I could probably ask them to order the bone and blood meal for me. I might just have to order it online and have it drop shipped to the store. Either way, I'll pass on the MG stuff.

13. You could look for EB Stones Sure Start.

Sure Start 4-6-2
    E. B. Stone Sure Start is a blend of natural organic ingredients formulated to help newly transplanted plants develop strong roots and sturdy growth. Sure Start is rich in natural sources of phosphorous to help your plants develop a strong foundation for future growth. Our gentle and non-burning formula is safe to use with even the most tender transplants.

Contains Blood Meal, Feather Meal, Bone Meal, Dried Chicken Manure, Bat Guano, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Potassium Sulfate, Humic Acids and soil microbes including mycorrhizal fungi.

14. #94 MI Wolverine, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    TripleD, I'd use the espoma instead of blood and bone regardless if it's organic or not. I'm not a fan of blood meal based on preformance, anyway, plus there is a lot more meals in espoma tone fertilizers, including blood and bone meals. It is pretty much a complete package nutrient wise. I personaly jazz it up with kelp meal, and neem and such, but it's not needed. I grew plenty of great ganja with the espoma alone.....anyway my 2 cents. MIW

Edit. I just wanted to add that no matter how you feel about Monsanto, or Scott's politically, their products are not very good anyway. Based on performance alone or even cost we can do much better. Then if your politically aware at all, that pretty much seals the deal.....

15. DDD

MI W's advice is the best you're going to get. The dry mixes from Epsoma (and many others) are all fine products and other than Kelp & Neem meals, you've got a solid program.

And I'll join or at least start the chorus - screw blood and bone meals. They're not needed and in most modern countries they are no longer approved for organic food production. The USA is way behind on this one.

LD

16. That's another point Jorge Cervantes gets right. He doesn't encourage using blood and bone meals.

17. And just like that I learned something else here!;) Thanks guys. I thought that blood and bone meal were essential ingredients. They seem to be a staple in most of the soil mixes I read about (or at least there is mention of them).

So that plant tone from Espoma...is it more like a general purpose organic fert? Reason that I ask is because I was reading the derived ingredients and they are almost the same as those contained in the happy frog 5-5-5 stuff (I have some in my garage that I purchased a while back).

So if I am tracking correctly, I can skip the bone and blood meal and just go with the general purpose fert? Thanks again.

18. #98 LumperDawgz2, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
    DDD

Looking at the ingredients individually, here's what you have to work with:

Hyrolyzed Feather Meal: Another way of saying that this material has been fermented which neutralizes many of the synthetic feed materials fed to the chickens. That shows that this company is going for the upper end of the market - regular feather meal is about 10% the price vs. this version

Pasteurized Poultry Manure: This material gets its bad reputation from the idiots who take fresh manure, add it to their soil and then sit on cannabis infirmary boards pissing and moaning about their soil being 'too hot' - when processed correctly, poultry manure has it all over mammalian manures. IF it's been composted or pasteurized.

Cocoa Meal: I don't have much experience with this one so I looked it up and here's what one source that I trust had to say: NPK is 3-4-3 and is a good material in a fertilizer mix vs. using it alone. Good material, IMHO

Alfalfa Meal: The stuff of legends

Bone Meal: There ya go!

Greensand: No harm, no foul but this is more about bragging rights than Potassium (K) availability. Again, no harm, no foul. Nice aeration amendment if nothing else.

Humates: Okay - not sure what that's about but it looks good on the list of ingredients

Sulfate of Potash: aka Potassium Sulfate - Potassium & Sulfur. A mined product from ancient sea deposits. Good material.

Sulfate of Potash Magnesia: Same as Potassium Sulfate but with Magnesium in a soluble form. Sold by itself it is known as Sul-Po-Mag (retail consumer) and K-MAG (agricultural name for crops, livestock, etc.) Another solid material to use.

There is also a listing of 'beneficial microbes' that I passed over because it's above my pay grade. Organic soil amendments is my main area that I claim to know something about.

When it comes to dry fertilizers (regardless of the packer, label), it's diversity you want to look see and Epsoma has done that with this product. I'd use it with no problem.

LD

19. Thanks for the break down LD!! This is really helpful and I appreciate it...thank you, thank you, thank you!!:wave:

20. Reviewing and certifying soil amendments is an area that I have some level of experience with for both ODA and OT. I would paid for each application reviewed, i.e. like piece work like in a factory.

10 minutes or less per review was my goal - big money! LMAO