Organic Soil Amendment

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Corto Malteze, Feb 7, 2009.

1. What specific part of Corto's original post do you find misleading?

Just curious as usual.

LD

2. Haha I respectfully disagree?!that's a good one. It's not my definition and I got it from an online dictionnary. .

the guy, hawhaw. I don't see why it doesn't apply to plants. Organic is organic imo. The post is about how soil is made and what to add to make it organic with manures coming from organic farms, not about biology definitons. :rolleyes:

3. Heya Corto,

Good to see you over here visiting your thread. The whole semantics thing in organic growing gets old IMO. All I can say is that if growing organically the way you do is wrong.......I don't want to be right.

Just wanted to say again that your summer crop was a testament to your organic principles and dedication. Good job on several levels.

Happy Holidays to you and your family bro,

chunk

4. Hi Chunkdaddyo,

it's a question of semantics haha I liked your pun about being right and wrong! I tried my best and there were some risks I took and it worked, I am loaded with dankdity dank! Thanks and Happy Holidays to you, your family and friends!

5. Hi Corto...great thread...and your avatar is familiar, but I can't quite place it...from Porco Rosso?

Anyway, I'm new to growing bud...but not to gardening. Chicken poo is awesome imo. Gypsum is a very good amendment for the clay we have here and I'd like to point you to this crappy looking but very helpful link:

Gypsum and Clay Factsheet - Gardening Australia - ABC

btw, since i read that i've been heaping the gypsum about my bed, but so far no slurry :(

oh, and i totally agree with your stance on airiness..i'm a big fan...but I've seen MANY a monster dope plant grown straight into the dense, red clay we have here...and this stuff is as dense as dense...no air in there at all...ever seen this yourself?

Keep up the good work. OD

6. oh, and i want to see your summer crop! Do you have journals and can you point me there?

Lol, i'm so needy today

OD

7. Hey guys

This will be my first time growing in the ground at my site.
    I usually bring my own dirt in 10 gal pots..anyways
    My site is a grassland wooded area which 5-7 foot grasses and other bushes
    surrounding it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The soils ph was around 6.5 and and it drained about a gallon of water in about 7 mins and yet it held much of it.
    I believe the soil should be fertile giving the surrounding plant life
    but im not sure of what amendments if any I should use.
    If anyone has any thoughts ide appreciate it

8. I'd get a bag of espoma plant tone, and some kelp meal. You could haul in soil, and tons of stuff, but i've grown in much worse looking soil than that. Dig your holes now, and get this mixed now if possible, and come time for planting, mix in some ewc, and you should be set, as long as that area has normal rains and not too wet/dry.......MIW

9. sounds good thanks for the tips.
    I'll add those items to my shopping list

10. Remo

Like MI W said - the soil you're working with looks decent. His advice on amendments is spot-on.

LD

• Like Like x 1

11. Looks like your in great hands Remo......Welcome to GC!

chunk

12. #72 Remo2025, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    girls are coming up nicely
    3rd week
    [​IMG]
    day 3 for the soil prep. I just cleared about another 150 sq feet

Thanks for the help guys ill keep you all posted on the progress
    ^0^

13. I would just like to add, that I think you should seriously consider using mulch, use either tree bark mulch, or coco chips. Mulch will conserve water, and cause the plant to dry out much slower, as well as provide shade for microbes to come up to the surface, and serve as cover for earthworms. I would add alfalfa meal to attract worms, add hormones that speed up growing, and bacteria love it! And use guano, because it makes the bud taste amazing. (not a complete program, just a couple of things I would make sure were in the big picture).

• Like Like x 1
  14. i like everything i'm hearing here....and 420s suggestion of dynamic lifter is good too. Is it just me, or does that soil look a bit sodic?

15. #75 hope2toke, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    I agree with TLO about the water, if you have sufficient water to have a few extra plants it may improve the soil quality... get the dynamics in the soil by planting some comfrey seed or some legumes...

thought id add, i've heard artichoke or thistle may attract lady bugs, and mustard is a useful cover crop also. there are more, for sure

16. #76 WeeDroid, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    If you mean acidic, it might be due to the pine trees. However since the area was over run with grass plants you should be okay. I think your soil looks good, but could perhaps use some aeration amendments.

A great cover crop for you, would be Pensacola Bahia grass. Here are a couple of links explaining why. again, thanks to Microbeman for the links. One quality Bahia grass will give you is to encourage fungal growth in the soil. This helps a lot with aeration concerns.

http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0903/daviddouds.shtml

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20090806/gw1

17. You are welcome. Welcome to Grass Cities organic growing forum. :)

18. Thank you for that !
    Re:Lime it was stated "The effect can last up to 3 or 4 years according to how much was added and the type of soil. For sandy soils, put the lime in Spring. For other soils, the best time is Aug-October. Wait at least one month before fertilising (manures etc…) a soil that was amended with lime. Dosage 1 ounce/gallon. "
    So would you please comment where this is discussed further?
    Thanks,
    Urlove

19. Also this may be misplaced but it might be of use to someone:
    I received 10 lb basalt rock dust from a very nice fellow for $10 plus $30 shipping. His email is Basaltec@roger.com
    Urlove