Organic PH question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ZubeRules, Apr 1, 2016.

1. So a buddy told me that instead of buying PH up and down, I could use baking soda for my up, and lime juice for my down. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

sent from the toilet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. there is no need to balance PH in an organic soil as this is already done by the plant itself.

• Like Like x 6
  3. It is a waste of your time. The simple reason is that 'juices' and vinegar, et al, are very weak acids with low molecular weight and therefore do not have the buffer capacity to neutralize a stronger alkaline base and the same is vice versa for the bicarbonate and a strong acid.

As Sc00by indicated organic based soils containing 1/3-1/2 of soil organic matter (quality compost and vermicompost) will typically not need management of pH due to their very high Cation Exchange Capacity or CEC. There is also an Anion Exchange Capacity or AEC that is rarely discussed but in any event both AEC and CEC are measurements of a soils capacity to exchange negative ions (anions) or positive ions (cations) in the chemistry of the soil. This is also often referred to as a soil's buffering capacity.

Weak acetic acids and bicarbonates on the low molecular weight scale do NOT have any long term and lasting buffering effect to alter a soil's chemistry. This is simply chemistry and it is based on cations, anions, and their number in the mix along with copious amounts of soil organic matter (high net negative charge) to balance things out. For the very large part of the technical discussion on organic soils most of the chemical exchanges occur in the rhizosphere of the root zone.

If you'll research Cation Exchange Capacity of soil it will explain a large part of this in detail which is required for a complete understanding of why lime juice and baking soda are myths at the end of the rainbow. In the end it's all about the +'s and the -'s and their numbers ...:bongin::bongin::bongin:

HTH's :smoking:

• Like Like x 13
  4. You've only described 1/2 of the phases that dictate "soil chemistry", the soil solid (colloid) phase...

What about the soil solution phase? :confused_2:

It is source for the grand majority of solubilized ions adsorbed by the plant...

• Like Like x 7

5. LOL....I'm not attempting to teach classes I'm not accredited to teach, rather, I was feebly attempting to answer the OP's question about lime juice and baking soda as pH adjustment tools in a simplified manner. I know you know that is stoner science but I may have glossed over it. If I missed something or incorrectly stated something....:bongin::bongin::bongin:.....please advise....the OP :smoke:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Sweet, thanks for the info guys! I love when I hear some one say one thing and then hear another side. Keep em green folks!

sent from the toilet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I'm so happy to see how far this forum has grown. CECs, AECs, acids, bases, compost, not to mention the patience and compassion for other gardeners.

I'm impressed as a whole with the entire GC organic gardening subsection.

You guys are all so awesome!

+rep lol

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

• Like Like x 8
  8. Looks like someone should put the question to test? Use the scientific method test ?

Even though it's unnecessary just to see if there's any additional benefits? Who knows...

Half baked "I mean they've got to have papers lying around everywhere ,They Arre scientists".

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. thanks for volunteering:thumbsup: let us know what you find out!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey guys I have a question? What if I started using bottled spring water only instead of tap water. Like Fiji or Evian Arrowhead, the analysis of a bottled water tells you what few minerals are inside.

Do you guys think it be a waste of money? Small grow of course

• Like Like x 1
  11. I just use filtered water from the the outdoor water dispensers before grocery stores. I have great results so far.

12. I believe that would be a waste of money.

If you're concerned with chlorine in your water, you can just set out your watering buckets or whatever you use overnight full of water and the chlorine evaporates off, though microorganisms are very good with handling those chemicals in small doses, so if your soil is thriving, there really isn't a huge reason to worry about your tap water, unless you live in Flint MI, etc...

Also a lot of times bottled water and drinks are shipped away from areas that could really benefit from keeping all their water in their local ecosystem. I think about this with foods a lot. Many areas that are feeling drought pressure are also areas that export a lot of foods and drinks which physically relocates their water....just something to think about...that bothers me just about every day even though I drink things from bottles etc....

• Like Like x 3
  13. what are you growing in?

14. Hey does anyone else have purpling stems with stunt growth, it's a it's a phosphorus deficiency what do you guys to cure purpling stems and stunted growth

I use Roots organic 707 blend 3 gallon smart pots and
    2 LED lights G8 and platinum
    Act teas in veg biweekly
    Fox Farms Happy Frog dry fertilizer fruit and flower (Bloom)

15. Vegged for 4.5 weeks and stayed 18 inches... now at 21 inches little stretchin.

16. I'm going to use the background which has high phosphorus if anyone has any other help or suggestions Holla At Your Boy

17. Bat guano

18. "use Roots organic 707 blend 3 gallon smart pots and
    2 LED lights G8 and platinum
    Act teas in veg biweekly
    Fox Farms Happy Frog dry fertilizer fruit and flowe
    r"

There's the problem... I see zero compost or vermicompost in your soil.

Soil gardening is not about amendments alone.

J

• Like Like x 4