Organic or not?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HazeyOG, May 11, 2012.

1. If I add Nutes to my soil does that mean its not an organic grow?

2. [quote name='"HazeyOG"']If I add Nutes to my soil does that mean its not an organic grow?[/quote]

It does if you use chemical nutes. You can buy organic nutes though, so it really depends on what nutes you use.

3. you know, it's supposed to make a big difference in taste using organic. i've always used chemical and my bud tastes great. they plants can't tell the difference, so i don't care, lol

4. I think chemical nutes get way too much hate. All the shit I eat has been grown with chemical nutes and probably sprayed with chemical pesticides, how's bud any different? Not to mention I looked at the prices to go organic (worm castings, blood/bone meal, guano, etc.) and for a 2x2x2 hole I'll be putting in about $150...so unless I make my own compost organic is out of the question for me. OP just make sure you flush a couple weeks before harvest.

5. I'm going organic out of genuine interest, and I'm having fun learning about it. ^I don't have a problem with bottled nutes, I'm just bored with them. To me it's like buying a tent instead of getting creative and building something, both get the job done, it's just a matter of personal preference. If I harvest lots of good pot then I've reached my goal, I'm just taking a different path this time.

6. it costs $150 dollars to go organic.....which will probablly last you a few grows.....but how much do you spend on chemical fertilizers and pesticides each grow?

do you even know what pesticides you are using & what they could do to your health? (not to mention the birth defects any future offspring of yours can get)

you are right about the making your own compost thing.....i make all of my earthworm castings, compost, pick dandelions to make tea, etc.

to OP and everybody....it is work, but.....you end up saving money, you never have to pH, never have to PPM/EC your stuff, none of that garbage. not to mention how much easier you are on good ol' mother earth by not supporting the manufacture of chemcials.

if you are really interested, head on over to the organic section of grasscity. there are tons of threads that will answer all of your questions - all ya gotta do is read :) .

heres a great thread:

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/988488-ready-grow-bagged-soil.html

if you buy some liquid nutrient out of a bottle - it isnt organic!!

growing organic isn't for everybody. i do strongly encourage it. once you get it right you will receive the same yield, if not better......not to mention the quality. ive also never had a root rot problem, insect problem, anything since ive went 100% organic.

i hope you make a good decision!!!

-OSUB

7. It's my understanding that adding bottled nutrients to organic soil throws off the balance between the plant and the microbial life feeding it. "safe for organics" just means it won't kill all your microbes. That being said, I suppose there's a need for it if your organic mix isn't dialed in and your plant is suffering more without the nutes than it would be without a few microbes.

I say this having fucked up my plants using both organics and bottled nutes at the same time, could just be me though.

8. chemical nutrients dont kill all the microbes.....some delicate ones get killed off......but not all.

what microbeman believes is that chemical fertilizers reduce the amount of sugars the roots excrete, because the plant almost gets "lazy" and stops excreting these sugars to attract microbial life.

the best analogy would be to compare a domestic animal with a wild animal. they get lazy and dont work for food - they expect it.

Microbe Organics

-OSUB

9. ^^That's what I was trying to say... :p I knew it had something to do with the relationship between the plant and the microbes, thanks for clarifying it :)

10. Multiple grows sure assuming we return to the same spot next year, but still if I'm doing say 10 plants I'm not willing to go $1500 on soil for a guerilla grow. Chem nutes aren't that expensive at all. As far as pesticides I wouldn't use chemical ones ever I was just pointing out that if I'm going to have health concerns I should start with the food I eat. For now I'm going chem nutes for the learning process, thinking I might make my own compost next year and see how that works out (too late for this year). I'm all for organic don't get me wrong, I just don't think it's an investment I'd like to make while learning the ins and outs of growing.

11. #11 hope2toke, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
    that figure is waaaaaaaaaay off... at wholesale cost you could plant a field with a great diversity of premium amendments peat moss and worm compost tea for around $300-350, it's nutritive content will remain stable for at least a year or more:

#50 bags of:
    redworm compost and worms - $15
    fish meal great nitrogen- $60
    kelp mea - potassium - $60
    crab - $26
    gypsum - $12
    alfalfa - $20
    peat - $12/ 3.8 cf bale
    glacier dust - 12
    neem cake - $80
    rice hulls- $20
    pumice- $30 a yard

if you don't find such a shop these are the costs you can find similar sources by talking to local farmers, who will have the down low on it if there are any half decent sources in the area.

12. ^^listen to hope2toke, it really isnt that expensive. its even cheaper if you make your own EWCs, compost, and tea. $60 worth of kelp would actually probably last me 3 years.....i use a pretty decent amount of kelp but i only spend about $25 bucks a year on it.....kelp is my biggest tea additive next to comfrey.

oh, and im glad you dont use chemical pesticides. you never know, ya know, so i just had to be sure :D .

im not against chemical growing. i believe people should grow however they feel. i will preach organic gardening, but hey if its not your can of worms dont go fishing. :smoking:

i will however blast anybody using chemical pesticides, lol. shits not good for our health.

-OSUB

13. i don't know man...i don't think i've ever heard of anyone's sperm mutating from smoking weed.....and if anyone ever did, i think it would happen both organically and chemically......n is n, p is p, k is k...

14. #15 hope2toke, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
    uh oh, not the N is N argument... don't tell me you work at a hydro store...

I am fairly sure oh-sub was referring to some growers who regularly "fog" their room with chemical (more powerful than nautral stuff like pyrethrin) to kill off any mite eggs, or watever.

I think it's kinda funny that hydro growers will allege that soilless growing has less pests, but they regularly need to use foggers, other pesticides. A big thing in organics is IPM - using compost, foliar spraying vegging plants, to build resistance etc. So the harsh pesticide is rarely needed.

15. [quote name='"TwistedPuppy"']

I think chemical nutes get way too much hate. All the shit I eat has been grown with chemical nutes and probably sprayed with chemical pesticides, how's bud any different? Not to mention I looked at the prices to go organic (worm castings, blood/bone meal, guano, etc.) and for a 2x2x2 hole I'll be putting in about $150...so unless I make my own compost organic is out of the question for me. OP just make sure you flush a couple weeks before harvest.[/quote]

You should prob try making a change and start eating organically, remember you are what you eat. You don't have to exactly make your OWN compost just yet to start organic, there's plenty of sources for quality bagged product.

16. this wont happen from smoking just any ol' weed.

you know that out there, somewhere, there are fucks that dont give a rats ass about what pesticides they use on their plants. IM NOT SAYING YOU or anybody in this thread.

i am mostly referring to large operation guerilla grows that are solely in it for money....not for the well being of people.

working in the hort. industry i see many different types of systemic pesticides......stuff that kills pests like no other, yet most are known to cause cancer and birth defects in humans.

now if you are a mexican drug lord with 100 acres of marijuana plants......what would you purchase? a systemic pesticide to cover the crop, or enough neem oil to spray 100 acres down? the way the industry is designed, it is way cheaper to buy a systemic pesticide in bulk compared to neem oil (or other organic pesticides).

this shits out there. grow your own, smoke your own. smoke shit your friends grew. dont trust "work."

-OSUB

17. Saying npk is npk, is like saying Pepsi and Coke are the same thing. They may both be coals but there completey different at the same time.

BeZ...V

18. Clearly it varies with where you live, trust me when I say my area is limited in what I can get and very expensive. I'm having hard enough time with perlite as the best value I can get is $6-7 for a 9 litre bag. Maybe local farmers could help, guess I could hunt them down.

19. And you dont think that all these un natural additives are going to have an adverse affect on your health in the long run? I'd rather not chance it and just spend the few extra $ for organic.

And honestly it's not the expensive like $20 for a 35lb bag of worm castings?

Degenerative disease or a little pricey organic nutes, I guess it's just something you have to weigh :confused_2: