Organic nutes for hydroponic

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Rude Dog, Dec 21, 2012.

1. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give as to which

organic nutrients I can use in a hydro. setup? Such as sea kelp, etc.

I have done mostly soil, outside plants. I have GH FloraDuo to start with.

So I would like to supplement. Any ideas?

2. Unless there is something out there that I have not heard of, you can not grow organically in hydro. The problem is that the organic nutes plug up the system.

3. Hey thanks for the feedback Marsdude. How about Big Bloom from FoxFarm?

I use this outside. Do you think this would also plug the system?

4. Depends on the system.

FloraNova is not organic, so if you wanted to utilize organic nutrition then you should not use a synthetic fertilizer. Hydro-Organics is known as BioPonics, and it got its start in the aquarium community growing plants on fish poop. The premier BioPonic nutrient line is General Organics.

Organics works by using microbes to break down long complex organic molecules to free up the elements they contain for uptake by the plant. This requires a stable and happy population of microbes to be necessary to facilitate growth. AACT is the way to brew these microbes and add them regularly.

Honestly though, hydro-Organics is NOT the best of both worlds. It's like half as good as each. All the trouble of hydro with the mild growth rates of organics, plus very frequent reservoir changes and absolutely no recirculation. If you want hydro growth rates and organic flavor then join the club man, because that shit don't fly. Organics is best left to the soil crew and hydroponics is best left synthetic.

5. I have been thinking about trying an organic grow in coco. Any experience with that?

6. All right SCMC. Sounds pretty technical. And it sounds like you know what

you're talking about. I use fishy nutes outside, and I am learning how to feed

the microbes in the soil, not feed the plant. I don't use anything synthetic on

my soil because I don't want to kill the microbes. And doing this with the help

of the Rev from Skunk magazine! Kudos to him

But i am going synthetic on my indoor grow. And I would like to know

what you use, or you recommend. I am going to start with about 16 plants in

a RDWC system. Any help would be appreciated SCMC.

7. Hey Marsdude. No experience with coco but I am going to add it to my outdoor

grow. Add it to my ProMix.

8. I had been thinking about trying a soil grow but some friends here that I respect told me that they thought coco gave the some of the advantages of hydro combined with soil.

9. I have more experience in coco and organic coco mixes than anything else. My more recent grows have been a zero-waste system of General Organics lineup in a coco/rootsorganics/ancientforest/perlite setup. It's alright but I still think going all the way soil organic or all the way coco synthetic is still a better use of time and energy.

In an rDWC there are a lot of options and most are about as expensive as another. Especially when it's broken down by cost/harvest. As an American I would try to focus on an American company, rather than a Dutch or Canadian one, but exceptions are made. I think that having some malleability in the ratios is an advantage so a 3-part Macro is ideal. General Hydroponics and Cutting Edge Solutions GMB would both be considerations for myself.

In addition to the GMB line I would suggest some form of enzymatic root health product in conjunction with low levels of H2O2. A micro supplement like Cal-Mag might be useful for RO filtered water to establish a healthy hardness and conditioning.

In addition to the basic stuff - Macro, Micro, and Root health - there are a few products I like for bloom. Botanicare Hydroplex, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud Dry, DynaGrow ProTekt, Cutting Edge Solutions Uncle Johns Blend, and I would use Citric acid crystals as a pH down. I know its quite the list... But you asked what I would use and that's basically what I would use in most hydroponic systems.

There's a lot of good stuff out there and a salt is a salt regardless of the brand name on the bottle. Dry fertilizers like MaxiBloom or Jacks Hydro are alternatives to someone on a dime but there may be some risk with sediment with these products.

For a coco grower there is no better system I know of than Botanicare's CNS17 Coco/Soil grow, bloom, and ripe. Cheap, easy, effective for a drain to waste program. As always, supplements are completely optional but I stick with my trusted additives of Hydroplex, BB dry, ProTekt, and UJB. Although, I concede that Canna Coco A+B in RO water with .25ec of hardness from Botanicare Cal-Mag plus and 8ml/gal of Botanicare Liquid Karma has resulted in the best rate of vegetative growth I have ever seen. In flowering is when Canna AB needs some tinkering and the CNS17 is just easier as a dialed Bloom one-part.

10. Wow SCMC, excellent info. on the nutes. I appreciate the knowlege shared.

How much H202 per gallon?

11. Not much is needed as long as the reservoir temperatures are in a safe range. There is variation in the strength of H2O2 but the standard 3% solution found in grocery stores is usually run around 1/4tsp to 1tsp per gallon. Start with lower amounts and keep an eye out for rot. If the roots are experiencing some issues 1tsp per gallon is probably about right. You can safely use up to 3Tbsp per gallon but that's a bit unnecessary.

Most people aren't too precise about this sort of thing. Generally it's a capful to a 4-5 gallon reservoir every week or so. Lots of variables to consider though so stay on your toes.

This stuff is NOT COMPATIBLE with Organics and/or BioPonics.

12. I was reading a mag. and there was a pic. of a plant in a hydro. grow

with the plant pulled out of the container showing a huge nice white,

healthy root mass. The grower used some supplement to make the

root white like this. What product do you recommend?