Organic No-till start.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Skip I am, Oct 15, 2018.

1. #1 Skip I am, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    So i have 2 10x10 raised beds that vegetables have been being grown in year to year. I'm converting them to no-till for next year's marijuana crop. This year I left all the vegetation added about 25% course sand and mixed the soil up vigourously. Added kelp meal and alfalfa meal to the mix as well. It's been planted pretty heavy with crimson clover. Does this sound like a good start for no-till? Once the clover gets established I plan to chop it down and just leave the clippings right on top and let it grow back one more time fully by February or March and then chop and cover it with straw. I will probably top dress amendments to the beds at each cut with the final goal of having my soil totally amended by March. The soil also has a pretty good population of earthworms as well.

I will use additional amendments as finances allow. I plan to add bat guano, insect frass, blood meal, rice hulls, earthworm castings, oyster shell, neem seed meal, and humic acid as finances allow. Is there anything I'm missing? Which amendments should I work on adding first? I feel like the benefits of rock dust I will get from the course sand as it appears to be a very fine sand by-product from rock crushing. it's definitely full of various types of rocks but the size of sand.

All input is welcomed as I try to get away from the costly bottled sewage I grew my ladies with this year.

2. i have a couple small bags of mychorihizae would there be any benefit to adding this to my soil as a top dress as well? I've read that they need to be in contact with roots so I feel like I would just be wasting these.

3. #3 Skip I am, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Top dressed fish meal, cottonseed meal amendments, as well as common Vetch cover crop. The sprinkler waters both beds every evening just before sun down. Hoping to get this cover crop growing strong by February.

I am slightly concerned about water pH as my tap water is always 8ish. From what I've been reading the organisms in the soil will actually handle maintaining the correct pH. Is there any merit to this and/or is there anything I can do to insure that my soil is setup correctly to allow this to happen?