Organic indoor pesticides?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ReefaSmoker6, Apr 10, 2011.

1. So I recently discovered some small white "spider mite" looking bugs crawling around on top of my soil. Could these be spider mites? And if so what is a good organic pesticide that can be used indoors.
    Thanks

2. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Pure-Neem-Oil-Ounces/dp/B0012BGXVQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1302397485&sr=1-2"]Neem oil [/ame]
    ~spacejerk234

3. If they are white and in the soil, chances are they are soil mites and are actually a beneficial in an organic garden. They will be no more than 1mm in length and there are usually massive amounts if they are present.

I'd suggest I.D.'ing them before you try to eradicate them. Under magnification, soil mites will have 8 legs rather than 6 like springtails.

Here is a good read on soil mites, as well as springtails and fungus gnats and how to tell the difference. Soil mites are not a bad thing, but it's important to be able to I.D. what they are.

Spider mites are not white and will be found more on the plant and not so much in the soil . Soil mites eat dead and decaying organic material, springtails and other dead insects and transform the waste into food for the plants to absorb.

Does this pic resemble your critters?

HTH

chunk

4. Thanks for all the info! More advice welcome!
    Thanks again

5. Meaning anymore info on indoor pests that I should keep an eye out for and ones that are beneficial and nothing to worry about.

6. They are practically microscopic and I have only seen maybe 5 of them. I have not been able to get a hold of one to get a closer look under magnification to properly identify them. I also see very small "fruit fly" looking insects whom like to crawl around on the soil.

7. #8 KaosTheory, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011

try what i did, grab some clear tape, but tape over top of pot from one side to the other. thats how i trapped mine, look at the first pic (under 15x)..

Attached Files:

8. Thanks kaos
    I have identified the flies as fungus gnats. Any suggestions on an affective way to rid of these critters?

9. I read that putting a fresh slice of potato in the soil would attract the larvae instead of to the roots of my plant. Has anyone tried this? The tips of two of the leaves are already turning yellow as a sign of nutrient difficentcy.