Organic Fungus Gnat Control

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jakrustle, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I have top secret anti gnat techniques, look out for my post soon.

2. LOL...I could not wait Vic so, made a few of my own....

There are tons of information about eradicating fungus gnats and fruit flies. Every grower has read the cannabis books and done the drill but, we all have different growing techniques, environmental conditions and a pattern of TLC. What works for one dose not always work for another....

Any infestation, weather it be fungus gnats, fruit flies, mites and so on need special attention to eliminating them for your crops sake.

The best way to handle insect problems is to never let it happen in the first place...

Fungus gnats and fruit flies have similar likes and dislikes...Eliminate the likes and the problem need not ever be attended too.

Fruit Flies Like:
    *Moist area...
    *High humidity...
    *Warm conditions...
    *Decaying organic matter...
    *The kitchen area...
    *Kitchen sink drains...
    *Fruit...
    ....and is brought in from the store to your home with the larve on them...There even laying eggs and hatching while their in the fruit bowl on the kitchen table...They frickin love bananas too...
    You can trap them using plastic sandwich bag, a banana peel sealed inside with holes poked in the bag that are large enough for the flies to enter....Probably why someone made millions from inventing the yellow sticky pads...
    *Indoor compost bins...
    If we put fruit skins containing fruit fly larvae into our worm bins, we soon have a healthy population of fruit flies in and around the worm bin. It is advisable not to add any more food to the worm bin until the fruit flies are gone. Since banana peels seem to be the most common bearer of fruit fly larvae, some people prefer to compost banana peels in outdoor bins only.* Banana peels are also beneficial to rose bushes as a source of potassium and can be buried directly into the soil around the plants (not more than three skins per rose bush per week).
    *Outdoor compost bins...
    If fruit flies become a nuisance in an outdoor compost bin, this indicates that the ratio of food scraps to high carbon material is too high. Add enough high carbon materials, such as brown leaves, shredded paper or cardboard, until this material comprises at least 50 percent of the total material in the bin. Try to keep about 12 inches of high carbon material on the surface of your pile, under which the food scraps are buried.

Fungus gnats:
    About the same as fruit flies but, they like the light, worm/compost bins, decaying organic matter,fungus and moisture being the main likes...

It's all about the environment...Need i say more??...Eliminate the likes and you eliminate the problem.

However if an infestation dose occur there is a predatory mite, Hypoaspis miles, that lives in the surface layers of compost and will feed on the maggots if the temperature is kept at around 69-70*...

3. BOOM! there it is in my sig, click and enjoy all fellow growers. goodbye gnats!