Organ Donation

Discussion in 'General' started by astro_righteous, Dec 25, 2006.

1. so i know that there are a lot of you out there that dont believe in a god and that when you die you will just decompose. i for one also believe in that. what got me thinking about organ donors is that i got a Guinness Book of World Records 07 book from my mom and i loked through it today and it had a thing about body farms. and this dude that owns a big plot of land and has like 40 dead bodies that are exposed to certain conditions and they test the bodies and study them for forensic data and shit.
    i was just wondering if any of you non believers would give your body to such research. i mean i would think of it as a degrading thing to myself. because i would want to have a ceremony of some sort in my memory and a celebration of my lifes accomplishments. but i still would like to donate parts of my body to science like organs but not just rot away.
    what about you guys?

2. Well... I'm a Christian, and I'd donate my organs... I couldn't see me donating myself to rot in an open grave while scientists do research on my corpse, though. Not for religious reasons, but more-so for my family's sake. I'd want more of a traditional ceremony, like you, but I'm not opposed to organ donation.

The way I look at it is like this - the organs are just gonna rot in the ground anywayz - might as well give them to people who need them so they can have a longer chance at life.

Also, organ donation doesn't go against the beliefs of most major religions.

3. I still do not have a donor card. Thank you for reminding me. They can have anything of mine they want; I'm all for research.

In Holland, it is the other way around; when you reach a certain age, you are issued with a donor card by default, and you then have to choose if you want to opt out or not. I think this is a far better system, as I feel many more people would carry one that currently don't, but have either never gotten around to it (like myself), or do not know how to apply for one.

4. I would make sure my organs would only be used to go in other people, no scientific research, I don't like that. I want to rest after I die, not be poked around and shit

5. I'm an organ doner. I was a bit skeptical at first, not because of religious reasons, but because the idea just kinda creeped me out, but i realized that if i can be helping someone or possibly even saving a life, its worth it. I'm not a religious person or anything, but the way i see it is that if there was a god, he'd totally understand organ donation because its for such a good casue.