Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Oregon hospitals denying life saving organ transplants to legal MMJ patients

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Royksopp, May 15, 2010.

1. #1 Royksopp, May 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
    This makes me sick. :mad:

*I didn't know if this should go here or politics....so I just put it here*

Russ Belville: Oregon hospitals denying life saving organ transplants to legal medical marijuana patients

2. Ok, that's just fucking wrong. Didn't even occur to me this was happening, so thanks for posting it.

Hopefully, somebody (or organization) can get legislation or a referendum to address this but it goes back to the age old problem...If it isn't dispensed (read prescribed) like other medicine, the protections just aren't there.

Either it should be available over the counter (like other herbs) for adults, or it needs to be prescribed by a doctor. Until one of those happens, this kind of shit will continue.

3. It is hospitals that depend on federal money who do this. The Mayo clinic is private and does not discriminate.

clinton

4. Thank you Clinton, it's good to know that SOME hospitals do not practice this type of discrimination! And sadly, this is not just limited to Oregon! The first study is what they based this all on!

Fatal aspergillosis associated with smoking contaminated marijuana, in a marrow transplant recipient. (full - 1988)
    Fatal aspergillosis associated with smoking contaminated marijuana, in a marrow transplant recipient.

The debate about marijuana usage in transplant candidates: recent medical evidence on marijuana health effects. (abst - 2008)
    The debate about marijuana usage in transplant can... [Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2008] - PubMed result

Should Hepatitis C Patients Who Smoke Marijuana Be Eligible For Liver Transplants? (news - 2008)
    Should Hepatitis C Patients Who Smoke Marijuana Be Eligible For Liver Transplants?

Marijuana Use in Potential Liver Transplant Candidates. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Marijuana use in potential liver transplant candidates. Journal article abstract

Granny :wave:

5. This is upsetting. Both my brother and I had kidney transplants up at OHSU. My brother has to have another one soon :( and he's trying to get his ommp card. I guess I have to break the bad news to him. This also means I'm screwed if I ever need another transplant... Me - 0 , The Man - 1.

6. thirdworldarmy, rather than "weeping and moaning", start working to change this discrimination! Get mad enough to do something! :mad:

Get a copy of my list, and start a letter campaign! Write the heads of the hospitals, the doctors, and politicians. Educate them! Because if you don't, they'll end up getting their info from the DEA! :eek:

Granny :wave:

7. thanks for bringing this to our attention, Royksopp. +rep.

This is atrocious. I bet they are worried about their funding is all. I comes down to the almighty dollar. Plus an aversion to this "new" drug, Cannabis, and those who partake of it. God have mercy on their souls.

Sammy

8. That is just plain murder... hospital should be held responsible. I bet if he had morphine and Methadone in his system he would have gotten that transplant! :mad::rolleyes:

9. Recently had a kidney transplant in Michigan. I am a registered cardholder and transplant team was aware of my marijuana use. Its messed up that Oregon is doing this to patients.