Orange, rusty color on bud leaves and pistols?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DJBT, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Any idea what this is? 4.5 weeks into flower. Bottom leaves are yellowing and dying due to lack of nitrogen, but this has started the last few days. It's only in two of the bud sites.

image-1816764051.jpg

2. Yeah I guess that would help eh? Ill try and remember everything:
    Chocolope Kush
    4.5 weeks into flower
    Enriched potting soil with added dolomite lime and 25% perlite
    Fan for circulation
    19000 lumens CFL 2700k lights
    Water about once a week ph'd to 6-6.5
    FF trio every other water
    And BlackStrap molasses
    No bugs
    Seems healthy only problems are lower fan leaves are yellowing and some leaves show (what I think to be) magnesium deficiency. About a week ago i top dressed more dolomite lime in with the soil and last watering I put some big grow nutes at 25% strength. Just for a bit of nitrogen. And I'm a total noob :)

3. #4 mmman, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
    Tell me, why do you add black strap molasses?

4. Looks similar to TMV tobacco mosaic virus.

6. I thought TMV spreads through the whole plant. This is kind if localized to one spot.

7. Yep... but everyone has to go to bed and rest sometime, and you never answered my question? Why the Molasses?

8. Helps promote healthy microbes in soil and remove some of the salts from around the roots. Sugars also add some carbs for production and apparently it affects the flavor as well. From what I've read...this is my first kick at the can(nibus) lol

9. I've also noticed that if I look from under the plant the light shows that the rusty look is actually dots on the leaves. I think it was magnesium deficiency. Again I'm assuming this from my own research.

10. In 38 years of cannabis cultivation I have never used such a product on my plants... doesn't make sense since nature tells me otherwise. Logic dictates to my mind that's it's totally unnecessary. Your problem appears almost like a Molybdenum deficit except this deficit raises it's ugly head when the PH is very low which isn't your case and the tips of your lady are yellow and not red as will be the case of advanced Molybdenum deficit although the margins of the leaves will be orange and advancing toward the red zone. But now that you say you have the rusty dots... that's indicative of calcium deficit or manganese. With only one picture it's difficult to get at your problem and further a diagnosis.

11. I have a solution that's been sitting for a month or so. It's crushed egg shells sitting in water. I was thinking of using some of that with some Epsom salts. Good idea or bad idea? Thanks for your help. 38 years! You're the man...

12. Can you shoot me some more pictures? Never used such concoctions... can't recommend.

13. image-1906292165.jpg

There's what I have now, ill put some close ups of the problem area in a few hours. It looks generally healthy. Just seems to be in two bud sites at the very top. The pistols look more orange than the rest of the plant and about 4 or 5 leaves have the rust spots. I thought the top dressing with the dolomite lime would help but maybe I didn't use enough.

Attached Files:

14. #15 mmman, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
    Your problem is Molybdenum... it's evident with the pics... it's locked out at PH less than 6.5 in soil. In soil-less it's locked out at 6 and lower. Keep your Ph up and I hope it improves before it gets worse. If your anxious that it will not improve, flush your system with clean, pH'd water that contains about half the correct amount of nutrients needed by the plant.