Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

oral cannabis bioavailability-questions for data

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by clayi21, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Hey y'all,
    I'm Clay and I've been a daily consumer of cannabis for the past 12 years. I prefer edibles and tinctures and have been researching the low bioavailability of orally consumed cannabis. I'm currently in Business School at the University of Georgia and have a project regarding a theoretical business involving cannabis infusions and their absorption issues. I need to conduct a minimum of 10 interviews per week for a total of 8 weeks to collect data about the target consumers. My ideal consumer is someone consumes cannabis orally on a regular basis and who makes their own cannabis infusions at home (oils, tinctures, glycerin etc...). If that sounds familiar and you feel like helping me out here are the questions I'm asking. Please feel free to post answers here on the thread or message me privately. I won't use anyones names/profile in my report, its strictly to gather consumer data and habits. Many thanks to those who have already helped me out and I really appreciate any help from the edibles community, thanks!

Please state your Age, Male or Female, State of Residence

1. How long have you been consuming cannabis and how often do you consume it?

2. How often is it orally consumed cannabis (edibles, tinctures etc)?

3. Do you use cannabis for medical or recreational purposes?

4. How much money do you spend on cannabis per month?

5. Do you make your own cannabis infusions? If so, what types?

6. Are you aware of your total dose amount (active ingredients) every time you consume cannabis?

7. Do you feel consistent effects from orally consumed cannabis?

8. Do you believe orally consumed cannabis has high or low rates of absorption into the human circulatory system?

9. Do you use any specific methods or ingredients to try to improve the solubility of your infusions? If so what?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I assure you I’m not the police, I just thought this was the best place to collect consumer data from people who regularly make/take edible infusions. I’m supposed to be conducting these interviews in person as much as possible but it’s difficult to find regular oral consumers who will be open about their habits here in Athens, GA. I have no problem finding cannabis smokers around, but infusion/edible makers are a different breed and it’s more of a niche community. I’m surprised to find such resistance here where people come to share insights and ideas about cannabis. I’d appreciate any feedback, thanks y’all!

• Like Like x 1
  3. That's what they said right before the cuffs went on....

• Like Like x 1
  4. This thread is actually a great example of how to survey our members;
    No external site to go to.
    No collection of IP addresses.
    etc.

@BrassNwood
    @PsychedelicSam

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Would you mind explaining what question(s) make you feel like this is a threat against you and may put you at risk with the police? I thought these were all pretty straight forward questions. Its 2019 and half our country is practically legal. Hemp just became legal nation wide. I openly talk about my use and habits here in Georgia (an illegal state) and feel no risk (as long as I'm not directly using in front of police).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Exactly! I appreciate the support, this survey is totally anonymous! Those two gentlemen are some of the few who have actually helped me out and responded with their answers when I contacted them privately. Thanks guys!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. @clayi21
    I'm Clay and I've been a daily consumer of cannabis for the past 12 years. I prefer edibles and tinctures and have been researching the low bioavailability of orally consumed cannabis. I'm currently in Business School at the University of Georgia and have a project regarding a theoretical business involving cannabis infusions and their absorption issues. I need to conduct a minimum of 10 interviews per week for a total of 8 weeks to collect data about the target consumers. My ideal consumer is someone consumes cannabis orally on a regular basis and who makes their own cannabis infusions at home (oils, tinctures, glycerin etc...). If that sounds familiar and you feel like helping me out here are the questions I'm asking. Please feel free to post answers here on the thread or message me privately. I won't use anyones names/profile in my report, its strictly to gather consumer data and habits. Many thanks to those who have already helped me out and I really appreciate any help from the edibles community, thanks!

Please state your Age, Male or Female, State of Residence
    Over 60, Male, California

1. How long have you been consuming cannabis and how often do you consume it?
    44 years. Daily.
    2. How often is it orally consumed cannabis (edibles, tinctures etc)?
    Daily since 2013
    3. Do you use cannabis for medical or recreational purposes?
    Medical now, Recreational for most of 40 years
    4. How much money do you spend on cannabis per month?
    Since I grow I spend very little
    5. Do you make your own cannabis infusions? If so, what types?
    Yes, Kief-Hash, Coconut oil, Lecithin Capsules
    6. Are you aware of your total dose amount (active ingredients) every time you consume cannabis?
    150 milligrams per day (estimated)
    7. Do you feel consistent effects from orally consumed cannabis?
    Yes.
    8. Do you believe orally consumed cannabis has high or low rates of absorption into the human circulatory system?
    High.
    9. Do you use any specific methods or ingredients to try to improve the solubility of your infusions? If so what?[/QUOTE]
    Lecithin
    =====================================
    I've answered privately but since everything Cannabis related I do is an open book here I'll post again to help encourage any others to assist publicly or privately as they see fit. Everything I've answered can be found in my public threads anyway.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lecithin
    =====================================
    I've answered privately but since everything Cannabis related I do is an open book here I'll post again to help encourage any others to assist publicly or privately as they see fit. Everything I've answered can be found in my public threads anyway.

BNW[/QUOTE]
    Thanks so much for getting the ball rolling on this thread! I appreciate your openness and hope some others may follow your lead.

• Like Like x 2
  9. And I'm actually responsible for the first question in the survey. My thoughts on the subject are an open book as well and are spread out over 1000 pages in this very forum. There's no way I could say no to clayi21's request.

This was my private response. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

You should probably add another question to your study and it should be at the head of the list. It's a very important factor in how folks view cannabis and colors the answers we provide. For example, users like myself who grew up in a different culture are going to lend a more visceral tone to their responses than someone who's experiencing the modern marketplace. That question is "How long have you been consuming cannabis?".

I'll answer that question. It's been fifty years of heavy usage.
    I'm male
    I live in AZ
    I consume cannabis as often as possible. Not as much lately due to fixed income but I still use it daily.
    If I had the money to spend it would be hundreds but that's not a good question now due to income. I may not spend a dime and still use cannabis daily thanks to friends who gift me enough to get by. When I was doing those tests you were inquiring about I spent several thousand dollars at once buying a few pounds to experiment with and I have good friends. I may not always have something to smoke but I do have other things.
    I prefer to smoke
    I consume for both medicinal and recreational purposes.
    I ingest edibles in some form about 5 of 7 days per week.
    I make my own.
    I am aware of my dosages
    They are consistent. I know what I'm doing.

I hope this helps.

One question I left out: In my late 60's.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Much appreciated PSam! You guys have been very helpful! Hopefully some other may contribute, thanks again.

11. Why do you say "low bioavailability of orally consumed cannabis"? Are you saying it takes more to get medicated when eaten? Or that cannabinoids in general have a lesser effect when eaten? Just looking for a little clarification dude.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Lipophilic compounds like THC, CBD and terpenes aren't very soluble when consumed orally. The majority gets destroyed by digestive acids and enzymes in the GTI or filtered out by the first pass through the liver. Even still, edibles/tinctures have been some of the strongest forms of cannabis I've ever ingested. I'm just trying to gather more data on other regular edible/tincture consumer's perceptions of their homemade infusions, and any attempts y'all may use to help improve solubility/bioavailability. I would appreciate your and anyone else's help in my quest to gather data. Again, feel free to message me privately or post to the thread. Thanks!!

From one of the better studies I've found on the pharmacokinetics of cannabinoids in humans:
    "Several factors may account for the low oral bioavailability of 4−20% (as compared to intravenous drug administration), including variable absorption, degradation of drug in the stomach, and significant first-pass metabolism to active 11-OH-THC and inactive metabolites in the liver."

Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics

13. Soluble with what? They are FAT soluble. Bioavailability depends on a fat carrier in the DT. That's literally all there is to it. I've learned that what I eat with the weed and when determines the level of effect. The best method I've come up with so far is to use de-carbed, powdered weed like a salad topping with any sort of meal containing a decent amount of fat. I had it on a bowl of beef chili and cheese yesterday and got pretty hammered.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nice! Do you ever make your own fat infusions or tinctures as well? I too have found eating before, after or during ingestion plays a very strong role in perceived effects. Only a theory (never seen this discussed and have no data supporting) but it seems like if you were to eat just before or even during ingestion, the digestive system would be in full swing and the acids/enzymes breaking down the food would also destroy more active cannabinoids. My best results, at least with tinctures usually come from ingesting on an empty stomach. What are your thoughts?

Sorry, when I said "aren't very soluble" I meant their ability to be absorbed into our circulatory systems. They aren't very soluble in water bases like the human body (60% water, and average of 18%-30% fat). Thats what I meant by Lipophilic:
    1. tending to combine with or dissolve in lipids or fats.

15. Tinctures - made with an oil carrier and directly absorbed under-the-tongue. Direct absorption, no digestion involved. I've made a couple in the past year, with good results, but it's a more fussy, much more time-consuming prep method, so done with that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cool, I appreciate the feedback. Yeah definitely if you hold under your tongue, the oral mucosa absorption directly enters the circulatory system. I find it easier to hold glycerin/oil based infusions under my tongue than those made with 95%abv grain alcohol. Thanks again!

17. Inconsistencies in the decarb lead to crappy edibles with weak results. The pass made through the liver via digestion is exactly why edibles work so well.

As far as low bioavailability goes, we use fat as a carrier. That way when you eat you take advantage of you digesting fats first. Cannabinoids are fat soluble so digestion the fat in the oil is digesting the cannabinoids.

Out of everything I have tried, oven activation at 240*F for 40 minutes is the sweet spot. A little lecithin, a fatty oil like coconut and its all you need. Add a freezing cycle, then a 220*F for 20 mins, then another freeze, then 220*F for 20 mins and its ready to go. Add to anything or eat it straight from the jar.

Dosage is about 1/4 of a gram per dose for most average users. 1/2 of a gram is about right for me. Also, you dont green out on edibles, if you eat to much youll get higher and higher till youre horribly ill. Like for days ill.

The hardest part of it all? Getting through the bullshit and find real info on making potent, consisten edibles. It comes down to the oven decarb. Get that down and youll be set. Everything falls into place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Exactly. That is why I have promoted the Ardent Lyft every time I get on this topic. It takes all the guess work and actually all the work period, out of decarb.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Totally agree! I got the ardent Lift about 6 months ago and use about once a week. Worth every penny, and I've been getting more consistent results from all my infusions. Acewiza, do/did you ever use lecithin in any of your infusions?