OR--Pot-smoker jailed in friend's death

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by IndianaToker, Jan 12, 2005.

1. By KATIE WILLSON
    Of the News-Register

A Tigard man pleaded guilty Monday to criminally negligent homicide in the October 2003 death of a friend, ejected from the passenger seat of a pickup on Highway 99W.

Brian Erwin Nelson and Jesse Stevenson had been smoking marijuana before climbing into Nelson's truck. Nelson lost control and crashed on Highway 99W near Stover Road.

When officers arrived at the scene, Nelson was performing CPR on Stevenson. But he could not be saved.

"Not a day goes by when I don't think about Jesse," Nelson said between broken sobs in a Monday court appearance. "I feel for his grandparents and for all of our friends.

"If I had a time machine... But I guess we all wish that."

Charges were brought in June, about nine months after the death. The 21-year-old had no prior criminal record.

Judge Cal Tichenor sentenced Nelson to 30 days in jail, five years probation, 250 hours of community service and $2,000 in fines and fees.

Stevenson's grandparents had raised him since the age of 3. His grandmother sobbed as she told Nelson she hoped he would never forget what she had lost - a young man who enjoyed fishing, water-skiing and basketball.

"You have taken away his dream of working for the police department, getting married and raising a family," she said. "You deprived us of becoming great-grandparents."

Link to article: http://www.newsregister.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=189097

2. was there any rain or snow? it just kinda says he lost control.....that a damn shame, Do we really need to send this man to prison?

3. What a fuckin selfish bitch!

Its a shame, and honestly, this reminds me to be more careful.