Options for getting rid of cable

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by SlightlyStonedSD, Feb 18, 2015.

1. So after 2 years of non-stop monthly poundings from cox, I've decided not to put up with the astronomical prices and terrible customer service anymore.
    [​IMG]

My goal is for this thread to include entertainment options, pricing, and opinions.

I already have Netflix for $9/month but I don't use it daily. Only to binge watch older TV series occasionally.

I'm currently on a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime ($99/year after that I think) but I haven't explored much of the content yet and it seems a lot of it overlaps with Netflix.

I am currently looking into Amazon Fire TV and the optional add-on "Sling" television. Fire TV is a one time $99 fee and Sling TV is $20/month I believe. Sling comes with ESPN, Adult Swim, TNT, TBS, and other networks I was concerned about losing.

So I don't know if this thread will get any interest but if you have alternatives to cable please respond with the cost and your opinion of it. (hulu, crunchyroll, crackle, etc...)

2. Yeah, Cox is pretty fuckin' expensive.

I hear Hulu is pretty solid, but I'm still on my Netflix kick so that's usually my go to service.

there's gotta be some cheaper options out there, hope ya find 'em bro.

3. #3 SlightlyStonedSD, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
    It's such a waste, I'm paying over $180/month for Internet and cable. it started at $120 and slowly [actually quickly] went up.

If I cancel that then even if I buy netflix, hulu, amazon prime, sling tv, and internet service I'll still have enough left over for an eighth and a 12 pack lol

4. Yeah, it's rough. I'm paying the same for Cox and I'm pretty much over it.

Gotta find something else.

Never cared for Hulu because they have ads. I'm not paying for something to be interrupted by ads. They can fuck off.

6. Yea it can get expensive when you tally it all up.
    I cancelled netflix wasn't using it.however gonna have to get it again for "better call saul".

I have sky which is expensive with full package. And then on top of that everyone in the UK with a telly has to pay £150 a year for the privellage haha

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. just remember ;
    "when it comes to your local cable company, the customer is always our bitch" ahaha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Crunchyroll isn't that bad if you watch anime. The subs vary from show to show but it's mostly stuff like honorifics and name order being changed. If neither matter to you then I say go for it. I prefer torrents though since I don't like streaming.

9. The $150 a month I used to send to Comcast can now be spend at Amazon buying up shit loads of TV series and movies.  And that's not even counting all the stuff I get free with my Prime membership.  I'll never pay for cable again.  I got an HD antenna for the local channels for football and news which is basically all I need, except for the stuff I actually want to watch I get off Amazon.

10. #10 SlightlyStonedSD, Feb 18, 2015
    How do you set that up? is it just the major networks?

Oh I didn't know it was amine. I never got into it.

11. #11 V1K1NG, Feb 18, 2015
    $80/month - T-Mobile (Unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE Data) I travel to Canada a bunch and T-Mobile is there as well so I get text and data for no roaming charges
    $8/month - Netflix
    Free - SolarMovie, Twitch, YouTube, Hulu 

With the above, I was able to get rid of both AT&T (poor customer service) and international offerings, and Comcast (they kept throttling my internet speeds and didn't watch that much cable anyway).

I tether my iPhone to my laptop, so I get 20-30mbps speed wherever I go.

12. #13 CMGarcia55, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015

They also have Japanese, Korean, and Chinese shows if you're into that.

13. My wife and I cut our cable years ago. We use Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

Sometimes we get OTA or find stuff online to stream.

14. So the plan seems to be coming together. I'm gonna keep my high speed internet and buy an Amazon Fire TV and probably a Fire TV Stick for the second tv. I have netflix and I'm on trial runs of hulu and amazon prime (I'll probably only keep one or two of the 3). I'm gonna sign up for sling tv for $20/month to get espn and some other live channels. Also looking into HD antenna options.

I don't even watch a ton of tv so I might cut down as I go I just want to try it all out. Even with all this I'm still looking at <$150 initial set up and about $90-100/month with internet. Cutting my bill in half.

I was looking at that one too but I might need the 50mi range for $50. What does it plug into? do you need another box?

Nice, what is OTA?

15. #16 Buffalo Beano, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    Sorry, OTA means over-the-air. Basically using an antenna.

You can use this website to find out what channels are available in your area, how powerful, and what kind of antenna you would need.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

16. consider internet only.    it's quite liberating.