"Optimum" Indoor Veg Growth Time: 2 Weeks, 3 Weeks, or 4?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Spazik, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hey all. Right now I got a little closet grow going on, nothing fancy, 1000 Watt HID with regular fans blowing air around and another one venting from a side, 15 plants in Coco fiber with Smart Pots in a kiddie pool.

Soon I'll be "upgrading" to a 3 room set up, with 2 5x5 rooms for vegetating and mothers/clones, and 1 10x10 room for flowering plants.

Basically, this is a question for others who run this "3 room" set up. I'm trying to figure out what the "best" amount of time to vegetate a plant is. Obviously, I want to keep the plants rather short for this type of set up because it's better to have more light hitting the canopy space rather than shaded buds deep down towards the bottom of the plant. So a shorter veg time would seem to be better. Does going for 3 week veg or even 2 impact the yield too much, or is it worth the extra time bought?

Also, I read in a book once that "giving the plants a shorter veg time causes it to grow dense, tight buds, and the point is to grow buds, not plants". Sounds logical but would like to hear from others. Thanks!

2. what you're basically talking about doing is a perpetual SOG? also sounds like you want to lollipop them (single main cola structure) most of the larger indoor grows i have seen they keep em on a 2 week cycle. 2 weeks in the clone box, 2 weeks in veg, and rotate the plants from room to room as you take more clones, etc.

if you're starting from seed stock i would veg em for 4 weeks, this should put a lolipoped plant at 18"-20" in height depending on the strain.

3. Yes, it impacts the yield substantically. You may want to tell the folks which strains you'll be working with, your preferred growing style, your expectations, and the height of the room and its setup (10x10 with 1K, really?). This was said under the assumption that you'll only be working with clones. If it were me, this how I'd veg the plants. Wait, that is how I veg:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=187887

Good luck.

Simon

4. The longer you veg the more budsites on each plant you will develop.

If you are taking clones for a SOG then you may not need to veg, but if you don't then you will need to put more of those smaller plants tight together in the flower room. You can get roughly the same yield out of a small number of big plants or a large number of small plants that take up the same amount of space.

5. Yea when I went to Oaksterdam one of the teachers there told me he puts the clones straight into the flowering room but honestly that would feel too counter-intuitive for me. Plus he did clay pellets instead of coco. I am honestly considering switching to pellets and trying the ton of little plants strategy though.

6. Oh no that's for my closet right now, maybe like 5x4. When I upgrade I want to use maybe 8-10 600 Watt water-cooleds to flower and some high powered florescent for veg and clones.

7. If 5-6K is the plan, read this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=88332

Simon

8. Dude this guy totally copied my plan lol