Opportunity to work at a shop

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by TCUB, Nov 25, 2013.

1. So right now I'm taking classes at my local community college to study for my ged and we had to write a paper in class about a career path we wanted to take.

Obviously I wrote about the automotive industry, and my teacher left a note on the paper saying she knows a shop in the next town over and they could use my skills.

Later in class I found out it was her dad's shop before he passed a few years ago.

I've never had a legit job before so this could be a big opportunity for me and It seems too good to be true.

What I'm looking for is people who have experience at a shop to let me know what they think of it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Worked in a body shop for about a year and a half in high school learned a fair bit about bodywork and enjoyed it. I did start just sweeping floors and washing cars and eventually learned basics of prepping a car for paint and doing some bodywork. Id say jump on it if you plan to be a mechanic their is no substitute for experience. If you get the job always show interest in what they teach you, ask questions. Hell if your done for the day and someone is doing a rebuild on a engine/tranny/anything stick around and hand them tools and watch. Absorb every bit of information you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. What are u trying to get into? Body work mechanics customs? I worked in a body shop for a few years And still build cars at home as a hobby. Personally I loved it just not a lot of money unless you own a shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. I'd like to be a head mechanic, but I'm not too fond of bodywork.

I've been wrenching for a good few years and it would be crazy not to do what I'm good at.

I have her class next so ill ask her if I can get an interview.

Thanks guys!

5. The shop is a trek from my house and I don't have reliable transportation at the moment so I've been procrastinating going to talk to the shop manager. I plan to go soon though,I've got too much time on my hands.

6. i worked in an auto mechanic shop after graduating high school.needless to say, it wasnt for me. youll be shop bitch for a little while, paid like 12 bucks an hour, relying on other mechanics to guide you through repairs, when most of the time theyre in pissy moods and dont want you around