Opportunistic Grow - First ever CFL's

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by mikethemate, Sep 2, 2012.

1. #1 mikethemate, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
    Hey guys

This is a opportunistic grow, my parents are away for 7 weeks my friend recently got some DNA Gentics Kandy Kush seeds as he lives alone but I reccomended the strain to him after trying it Dam a few weeks ago... Since I have 7 weeks I may not get into the flowering stage but I have a plan if time runs out.

As I have no experiance started just by germing it put it in some mix put it under a random flood light and just hoped for the best.

The next day.
    [​IMG]

The day after that I found the plant really burnt it seemed that the flood lights were wayy too hot so the next 3 days I just put it outside and see what happened it there appeared to be some growth so I did some research and figured out how to fix the plant.

So im using closet set up just got a lead with 4x26w CFL's with Aluminium foil around the pot and plant.

This is Day 5 and about 5 hours after putting it under the lights.

[​IMG]

As you can see the first leaves still are growing well, and there is new growth for a second pair.

Day 6 (next morning)

[​IMG]

Seems to be enjoying the new lights steady growth nothing outstanding but growth is growth I watered it later on in the night.

TODAY Day 7 in the morning.

[​IMG]

Much more rapid growth now this was taken earlier today and since then it has grown a fair amount I will take a picture tommorow and post it up.

Thanks for reading.

2. #2 mikethemate, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
    Day 8

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Quick question guys, My roots are starting to come through the bottom is it time to transfer her into a bigger pot?!?

4. You could of transferred long ago. Progressive transplanting is not a requirement. I germinate then st8 to my final resting spot. Never fails.

Ditch the random flood light it does absolutely nothing but introduce lots of heat. It may be bright but bright does not equate to proper.

What kind of soil is that.

For your CFLs insure there close 2-4 inches from the plant.

Foil you use may look reflective but its actually a poor one. Mylar or if the walls are white then thats all you really need. A. Foils main purpose is to reflect heat not light.

If your plant makes it Reserve Privada is primo genetics. Good luck.

5. #5 mikethemate, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
    Flood was gone as soon as I got the 4 CFL's and they have been 2inches on top the whole time since I got them.

The soil I used was like 20% sand and Scotts Premium Mix Osmocote Professional Premium Potting Mix.

Yeah I was thinking I could of used just a final pot straight up but I thought it wasnt going to be as serious or successful as it is, How long can I get away with using that size of a pot for ?

Thanks for the help!

6. Plants know how big of a pot there in hence there leaf structure tends to develop based on that. Roots hit the walls plant limits growth. Plants do not infinitely grow inside a pot as that would lead to issues like falling over etc. Nature wants it to survive.

So how long well there still small.

Be careful of adding nutes. Your using essentially what Miracle Grow is and that is a big no no as it can lead to disaster.

7. I wont be adding nutes for another 2 weeks atleast.

So should I transfer this thing sooner than later?

What do you think is best?

8. Might as well sooner.

9. Alright cool, should use the same soil? it seems to be fine to me haha.

Cheers

10. #10 mikethemate, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
    Day 9 :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im going to prepare a new mix shortly.

Worm Castings
    Perlite
    Soil

With the Worm Castings its my parents in the yard and I had a look it looks really good apart from a lot of tiny tiny white bugs does anyone know what these are? this compost has been there for about 6 years and its been fresh and still is...

11. #11 mikethemate, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
    Day 11 :

I transfered her into a bigger put with a new soil mix.

Soil
    Perlite
    Wormcastings
    Sand
    Lime

Its been 12+ hours no signs of it being in shock no drooping leaves good signs...

[​IMG]

12. Day 12 :

Good Progress it looks like it likes its new home and soil, Also I have changed from 24/0 to 18/6.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Day 13

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put some very very light nutes in today, it went outside because it was really hot and sunny today looks like it loved it.

I also pulled off the old dead leaves that were blocking some nodes to grow, I tried to do some LST but the plant needs to grow another node up imo its a bit too early.

Thanks for reading.

14. Day 14 :

[​IMG]

I think it could be time for LST in the next few days fan leaves are getting in the way.

15. She looks good! You can probably begin LST any day now. :)

16. Hey guys havent updated in a while, I had a accident and I have being trying to fix it.

Basically a CFL rested on my plant over night and took out a third of my plant but it all seems to be fixed now.

Pre Burn

[​IMG]

Burnt with LST
    [​IMG]

Recovery

[​IMG]

This morning sun baking.

[​IMG]

4 hours later in the sun

[​IMG]

It looks like this plant is going to require more lights or more wattage, im Currenting running 4x26 cool white CFL's maybe I should upgrade to 48x4.

17. #17 mikethemate, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

Ive got some strange very old leaves on the bottom it kinda looks like nute burn or lack of sun it has been pushed down against the soil during LST I hope its nothing serious.

Heres some result of LST

[​IMG]

18. Quick update :D

[​IMG]

19. Good news shes a girl white hairs appearing.

[​IMG]