Opinions vary ALOT.. do I got this right so?!?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SirWurm, May 10, 2011.

1. This is my first grow and I'm doing 3 plants in a small "half-sized" room. I'm using 5 floros and 1 additional clamp-on light with a cfl bulb totalling around 150 watts. I've got the lights within a couple inches of the tops at all times, lined the walls and floors with styrofoam for some reflection and open 2 large windows that let in additional sunlight during the day. The temp stays around 80 - 85 degrees f. and the humidity around 45%. I've got a little "poor mans" setup using yeast to add co2 to the room. I use fans to circulate the air as the room has no vents and only one door I keep open, water with tap water that's set out for 24 hours only when the soil (Scotts premium topsoil) shows it needs it, and use 20-20-20 nutrients every other watering at about 1/4 strength. Am I good? Enough light? Thoughts/notes? I realize I'm being anal, but I really want to get it right and this forum seemed to have the some of the more educated growers. [​IMG]

2. Sounds good. Yeast wont do anything. Co2 generation for plants really only works if your displacing alot of regular atmosphere. Usually Co2 setups happen in a sealed set up. Theres already alot of CO2 in the air as well. As soon as its releases that stuff disperses.

On other stuff alot of it all depends on the plant. Sounds like you have a plan and have read just have to go with it and adjust accordingly. One plant may take well to your nutes while the one next to it might not. Its more of a practice growing this stuff then a set art.

Im on my 2nd grow but have been a gardener for years and usually no plants are the same and every year different issues.

3. Thanks for the response. Yeah, I had read varying opinions on the co2 thing, so thought it worth a try.

Do you think that's enough light? I added one more bulb cfl today making it something like 175 watts total. They seem to be stretching and my seedlings are very top heavy.. even had one topple over..

4. More lights is always better. You will know if there not..slow slow growth..stretching for the light etc. On CFLs there use drops off dramatically when you get like 5-6 inches away so find the happy spot for closeness and heat.

5. first, rhapsody is right on with co2 advice! don't waste your time with anything other than a real deal co2 system. i.m.o. any suggesting anything different is just fooling themselves! temps. and r/h sound good. air circulation is always a good thing! actually, topsoil is not good to grow in. it really needs some amending with perlite, cause it can totally compacted. just use something like foxfarm ocean forest. remember though, preferted mediums aren't good until the seedlings have matured to about 2 weeks old. to that point, theey need "no" nutes. every other watering with nutes is fine, as long as the every otehr takes a week. feed only once weekly in soil.
    peace :)

6. Right on. I did a lil research on soil before starting. It is topsoil, but it has perlite added. I do see it clump a little, but seems like good nutrient-free dirt. You're actually the first person I've heard say top soil was bad. Hm..

7. I added some photos to my own thread.. not sure how to link to it here, but the subject is "My babies... all advice welcome!"

Let me know what you think all.

I went ahead and traded out the topsoil for some potting soil. Think I should repot them right away or wait until they are big enough to put in the bigger pots?
    Check the pics. :) Thanks!