Opinions on "Roots Organic" soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by crystal_palace, May 10, 2009.

1. Dr. Earth is a quality brand overall.

I'm using their alfalfa meal and will be buying more of their stuff when i need to restock...check out my plants (sig) if you want

2. Just peeped your latest. Looks great. Good work P

3. cheaper to make your own.

4. did anyone ammend their roots soil with anything?

5. quicker to buy good stuff

6. #26 BlackDogBotanic, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
    Yeah I have to agree. I am using it for the first time and it rocks. I usually mix my own soil, but for the cost and the skipping the mixing, I think I am going to stick with it. I have 16 girls in a 4x4 bed that is about a foot deep. I have barely fed them anything accept fish and kelp and molassass and they look friggin awesome. They are at week 5 and I have fed them two weeks in a row with a very light bloom compost tea with seabird and bat guano, and ewc and molassass and they are the deepest green ever. Putting on quite a bit of weight. Looks like hydro bud. Roots rocks. I have friends that use the whole line and they get great results. In the nw, roots is cheaper than bales of #4 organic, no mixing, no waiting, no turning, im sold.

7. Anyone else have low ph out of the bag? I tested it < 5 out of the bag. Added 1.5 cups of pellitized dom lime and let it sit for 3 days and it still is 5.2. Thinking of adding small amount of hydrated lime to bring it up to 6.2. Thoughts? Application rate would be 1.25 tps per 3 gallons.

8. Buehler? Buehler?

9. By all of about 30 mins. Peat, compost, ewc, perlite, mix, and mix, and mix. There ya go. Now add plant nutrient stuff and water and volia! a "miracle" happens.

That's pretty much it and what you find in a bag. Just saying. Seems a lot of folks these past few weeks are angsting over finding "the bag" of good soil when they can just make their own. That's all there is to it. Peace.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I use Roots Soil and I am starting to get irritated that it cost $20 for a 1.5 cu ft bag.

I am starting to make my own soil and the initial investment is far more costly but in the long run it saves money.

Sunshine Mix: $35 for a compressed yard
    Jersey Greensand: $16
    Perlite: $5
    Alfalfa Meal: $30
    Worm Castings: $20
    Kelp Meal: $13
    Composted Cow Manure: $5

So $124 for all ingredients that makes about 20 cu ft of premium soil compared to $260 for what you would spend using Roots Soil.

By no means am I saying Roots Soil is bad but it is expensive. And it is Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy to mix your own :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Touche'..........:cool:

12. "easy peasy lemon squeezy", I like that fresh jive. And, I like mixing up my own concoctions. It's really great to know what's really in "MY" bag of soil.

And, a double Touche' from me, possum/chunk! If I lost the part of mixing up a new grow soil, looking up new mixes from others, researching the newest minerals and amendments, learning more about what plants need to thrive, this growing of our magical weed would be not near as fun. Hell, it's an art form all its' own.

Hey, if you like the Roots soils, though, that's excellent, too, if that is what you are ultimately looking for. Hope it works out well for you.

Peace

JaK

13. Touche - redux.

14. Organics, drainage, endo, ecto, bacteria, worms and love.

15. I bet FF has lost a ton of business to Roots.. but it's FF's fault for not keeping up on quality. Anyway.. does everybody add perlite still to their roots soil? It has more perlite then FFOF but it's the small pieces that I don't think do as good as the big chunks that I add. I have been adding about 25% perlite but might start cutting back since I'm running low on perlite and see how the plants do.

16. Switched from ffof to roots and the plants seem healthier. I've also noticed in the ocean forest little green pelletized fertilizer that appears to be non organic.

17. ive wanted to try roots organic for awhile. Does anyone know where it can be bought?

18. #38 shawnfierro, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I pAy $12 for Root Organics indoor/outdoor 1.5 cubic yard bag at my grow shop in Santa Cruz, Ca. Love this stuff! I use Bountea compost brew with Hygrozyme and Thrive Alive once a week and Growilla. I use plain water except for once a week when I add an organic bloom food to the water to push the plants a little more as the tea/granular is very low salt and can take it. I use some kind of a sugar in weeks 3-6 and I use a blaster once or twice at week 4-5 and flush for 2 weeks. Best herb I've grown in 6+ years!

19. went to the local hydro n organic store, was pretty i was gonna leave with ffof, the dude in the store said to use Roots, it was cheaper and better than ffof he said, sooo glad he talked me into getting Roots, from all the good feedback I am reading. So with that being said I have 3 bottle of ff nutes, big bloom, tigerbloom, and grow big, would these be alright to add once transplanted in 3 gal grow bags
    ?