Opinions on plant ripeness? *Pics*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ignatz451, Aug 9, 2012.

1. [quote name='"Ignatz451"']

Thanks, Cola!

So, it's not indicative of anything useful, except that my seeds have run their course?[/quote]

For 7 weeks flowering, wether that's day you switched to 12/12 or counting it from 7-14 days after, impo those plants should be farther gone by now. By that It could be a number of factors.... 1. Not enough light. 2. Bad seed genetics. 3. Bad overall growing conditions ( soil quality, nutrient def or overdose ) .
    I think on most strains of mj you would be seeing more trichs than you have from your pics.
    I'm not slating your grow by the way, just saying what I see from my limited knowledge.
    I would say for your next grow invest in some proven seeds or clones if thats an option for you.
    You said you have grown this plant before, how was the plant at the same stage and how did it end up. You must remember if it was covered in trichs or had very little.

Smokey

2. Ripe? Very misleading concept; as you mentioned the trichs come on in waves, meaning different areas will ripen at various times. If I understand, this is from seed so the smooth edges could just be a pheno. I think you'll agree that each plant has it's own character and silhouette so you'll need to keep this in mind as you try to develop your "eye" for readiness. As you mentioned you've had several grows with this "strain" and I'd be willing to bet even with the clones there were differences of the overall look to each. Plumb your memory and layer the vision of those grows over this to decide with your own intuition if this is indeed ripe. Great work under CFL; mind mentioning the dimensions of your box and the height of this current plant?

3. Ya their could be other factors, but I am leaning towards it's re vegging or, poor genetics from bagseed.

Although you have 366 watts of cfl(should be actual watts) you could always use more light and hid would be best for penetration and fulfilling the plants need for light. You want your lights for flowering with cfl's @ 2700 K.
    The lighting could account for the leafy bud, airy density and fox tailing you describe....

There could be a light leak or, your 12/12 is not accurate and they are getting more light in flowering than you think.

Improper ph can lock out phosphorus and lack of phosphorus can slow the flowering process....

So, their is the possibility of other indicative reasons.

I would make sure the grow is optimal before deciding that it is poor genetics, even though bagseeds are normally not the best but, who knows.....

They still look more like sativa or, sativa dominant. Some sativas can take up to 16 weeks to ripen ....In that case you could still have a long way to go before noticing better bud set.

4. Yup. This plant has never been very frosty looking till quite late, like , the end of week 9 late (I've grown it twice before), and even then, it was still the least frosty-looking of any plant I've grown before. However, the smoke was good.

Why, thank you very much. It's flowering under 400(not 366, as stated above) actual watts 2700k cfl's, (10 40-watter's). The box is two 52-gallon rubbermaids stacked-up, dimensions are 32" tall X 42" wide X 18" deep, lined with foil tape on the inside, and an inline fan mounted in the top/side sucking air through the box.

The plant has the bejesus LST"d out of it, so I really don't know how tall it is, no taller than 8" from the top of the soil with the LST, and the branches were all tied down however they would fit.

Thanks! I noticed the foxtailing a day or 2 after flushing with some 15 gallons of water. I suspect that my temps were on the high side, (upper 80's) and, I suspect I had a light leak. This is my first grow in the new place, and my growbox is in my kitchen, which is quite bright. My old place was VERY dark, so the box being totally light-proof wasn't that big a deal.

I've covered the windows better, and layed a heavy quilt over the box which seems to do it.

I'm thinking light leak because this has never happened with these seeds before, and last week I cut a 'door' in the side of the box, to allow my sister to water the plants and take pics every few days without making her futz with the box-top, fan, lights and everything else (Next week I'm going out of town for 16 nights for work).

Anyway, the 'door' closes, kinda, but it's absolutely not light-proof. My guess it that it started revegging, as you say.:eek:

Here's a pic from one end of the growbox to the far end, taken 2 days ago.
    I never took into account that it might be a sativa, though I now have no idea why I assumed that it was all indica. Looking at it now, I suspect its some kinda hybrid, but I don't know.

At any rate, it's all the more reason to pay attention to the plant instead of trying to follow some schedule I pulled out of my ear.

Attached Files: