Opinions on my grow set up/ shopping list

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MedicalMaryJ4, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Tower fans make the best circ fans. Get a nice 30" or taller one. Those have fans both top and bottom. They're squirrel cage fans.

That design of fan has a neat property where the amp draw of the motor is based on how much air it's moving not the air resistance of it's spinning like a bladed fan. The more a squirrel cage fan clogs the lower the amp draw of the motor because its pumping less air and not moving as hard. The wheel spins in the air with the less resistance when it's clogged. This guards the motor somewhat against burning up even when the fan is not maintained. That is one reason this is pretty much the only design of fan used on home ac systems. it needs a safety if the air filter is never changed or the evap clogs.

Tower fans rotate on their own footprint. They don't swing back and forth and grab branches or suck them into the back.

They take up 1/2 the sq foot of space when they swing. You get a mid canopy fan and a lower canopy fan in one. They fit in mostly unused space tucked in a corner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Get a 6" clip on or another fan for up top to blow on your lights. That and the tower are all a 4x4 needs. Passive intake and 6" centrifugal exhaust fan of at least 400cfm. Variable speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ok, i shall look for a better quality PH tester as id rather buy a good quality and it last longer and be more accurate, thanks for the heads up!.

Tower fans definitely seem to be the better choice, i shall add one next to my intake ducting and maybe one near my extraction to create a vortex type air flow, along with the clip on fan for the lights (Thats a nice touch, i didn't think about this and it makes sense as the lights on top can sometimes overheat and cut out).

Thanks man

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hey Tbone, maybe a silly questions but do you keep the fans running 24/7?, as the tower fans im seeing online are mainly limited to so many hours?.

Thanks.

5. Yes. All fans 24/7 unless you want mold issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. When they burn up buy a new one. They last over 2 years from my experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I only have the lights on a timer. The fans are on an always on circuit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-20...=sem&msclkid=64e28408732b16f7f56cd95ea675d4b3
    Been using these for about 10 years . I clean them by washing them off with a garden hose , never had one fail .
    I grow larger plants and will have six of those 20 inch Lasko fans in one 4 x 8 tent plus a 8 inch commercial active air inline exhaust fan.
    I grow 2 plants per 4x8 tent .
    I have two tents in operation plus a 4x5 walk in closet .
    You need plenty of ventilation …........ the plants are more healthier ………

9. Yeah, i thought they were 24/7 but it threw me off seeing the fans have timers, so thought id check incase. Thanks man!

10. I understand ventilation is a key factor, but i think 6/7 fans in one room is too much for me, not due to cost but the way i am setting it up i can only really have two tower fans and a clip fan for lights, i will be getting high quality fans though so maybe that'll make up for it.

Thanks man

11. Yes I agree ……………………that is excessive BUT I fought Powdery mildew for 2 years and spider mites .
    Plus my plants are decent sized ..
    I was spending 30.00 a month on fungicides and pesticides anyway ...
    It does cost that much to run the fans and my plants are healthier ...
    I yield over a pound per plant now .
    I don't have to fight fungi , or insects .
    I don't have to spray near as much , I am no longer harvesting early because of Powdery mildew or spider mite killing my plants .
    All those problems have cost a small fortune in lost yields
    Adding all the fans might be thee most notable single improvement I have done besides switching to hydroponics .

12. It is true that air movement is a big ignored factor in bud development. Most smaller grow spaces can get by with about 3 fans in the space if you buy good ones. The circ fan need to be a tall oscillating tower fan if you use only one. Top canopy light cooling fan and large exhaust fan.

Two circ fans wouldn't hurt but I won't put more then that. There's almost not enough room for more.

Oscillating fans prevent wind burn by constantly moving. Always go with oscillating for the low and mid canopy circ fan.

Squirrel cage type fans are superior to bladed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have my fans under the plants blowing upward ..