Opinions on harvest time

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by SicNazT, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Hey can anyone help me judge harvest day, don't have a magnify glass to check trichomes. Another way?. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412010812.641022.jpg Gotta be about 5th into flowering/budding or whatever you call it ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412010678.298025.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412010710.383540.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412010724.351858.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412010746.185973.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412010759.904912.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412010779.771897.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412010800.624231.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

2. anyone? alot of the hairs look orange now but still alot of white baby looking ones. the buds arent huge maybe the width of a quarter, im sure its gonna swell up a bit more but i just dont wanna miss my window, this is by far the hardest part to judge

been smoking 10 years have seen tons of different weed but weed thats on a plant is a whole other ball game, its like iv never seen weed before, does the weed change alot once clipped dried and cured? the living look to it throws me off a ton

3. What strain is it? if its been flowering for 5 week only let it run for another 3 week.

4. its just bag seed, also my first grow, i was thinking mid oct should be about right

5. yes, also the pistills might turned brown because its wet when the sun is out. Is it sticky with trichom on it?

6. ya im in florida so it rains out of nowhere all the time, its actually very sticky and it has trichomes, i dont have anything to look at them with though

7. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412018393.181916.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412018411.657916.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. A quick and easy way to judge trichs without a scope is to check how they look in the sun. If they sparkle and gleam like diamonds they're still clear trichs. When the plant looks like it was sprinkled with frosty white snow, the trichs are cloudy. If they start getting a golden tinge to them you know you have a lot of amber. Try to harvest when the trichs on the leaves get a little golden and the buds look like powdered snow. DO NOT harvest when they still sparkle in the sun. Thats a sure sign your bud isn't ready yet. Judging by the pic I can see a few trichs gleaming, so I'd wait another week and check again.

9. thanks guys will def look into it. i did end up cutting off a tiny stem with buds towards the bottom of the plant that are growing decent but def. were gonna be going into the batch of scraps thats gonna make cupcakes or something anyway once i read about it.

so from what i learned inspecting it so far is.... its sticky and it smells like weed, but it doesnt have any solid bits to it, does that come when it drys and shrinks, so the shrinking causes that thick compact bud feel? opening the bud just seemed like i was looking inside a living wet plant or does that mean its not close to ready yet and needs to fatten up more ( im in florida so i heard that my buds wont get to big here) a little info on this topic would help

also off the stem i picked im hanging 99% to dry but the rest i tossed in the oven and smoked in a bowl, and although its not great i am a bit high, and i know most the high comes from properly dried/cured bud, so im not too worried ( again this is my first grow so its mostly a learning experience, so im willing to waste some to learn for the future)

i think the part thats confusing me is my several years of weed experience just picking up bud to smoke, compared to 0 experience of living bud on and fresh off a plant, and im just not sure of the cross over changes
    ill post a pic in a min from my ipad of what i picked.

10. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412112307.378839.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412112316.745103.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412112326.464961.jpg

So as you can see it's the maturist of the premature buds if that makes sense haha

Attached Files:

11. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412112507.162308.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412112549.881551.jpg

12. Do you normally smoke compacted weed or are you used to smoking high quality nuggets? If you are used to getting good buds then the fresh off the plant shouldn't look that foreign to you but if you are used to Mexi schwag then yeah they are 2 totally different species lol. Here is what some drying buds look like... You just break off a little piece and put it in your bong... no need to pick out seeds or stems.

Attached Files:

13. lol no dirt weed for me haha, i think my confusion is a mix between, the buds being picked are premature (the top buds look awesome no worries there) and i guess compact isnt the right word, not sure the one im looking for, thought that might help someone understand where im comin from, it makes me believe iv got several weeks left like some have said

14. Let it go at least another 2.5 weeks. Preferably 3.5

15. Ty Ty. Using the sun idea I'd say the trichomes are turning cloudy hairs starting to recede. Gonna chop around the 20th I think