Opinions On Cheap Hydro Options

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BenAndChons, Jan 13, 2013.

1. That kit looks like pretty much an all in one type deal. I have some concerns and questions. First off the lack of customer reviews worries me. Without any feedback it's a gamble as to whether or not that drain will hold without leaking and the reliability of the pump is to be questioned. Also do you intend to use the provided nutrients or purchase your own? For the price and a little more work you could build your own with a pump you can research for reliability first. In all likelihood the pump you purchase locally will have a higher rating in terms of how much air it actually provides.
    I guess when it comes right down to it I'd certainly recommend a first timer use a bubble bucket but to keep down costs and insure reliability I'd strongly recommend DIY. You may spend a little more by the time you figure in purchasing your own nutrients but you will almost definitely end up with a better setup.
    This tutorial should give you a solid idea...
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-*step-step*.html

2. If you're not going to build your own bubble bucket get a waterfarm

3. I have both, and will grab my DWC buckets every damn time. To easy not too!

4. #6 BadAxe, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
    You are really better off building your own. For one, its cheaper. Second, when you end up having bucket issues, , for example, your setup develops a leak of some sort, since you now know how to build them, its a snap to build another real quick, and move on, instead of having to order another one, and wait for it.

A real good thread to get started on building your own is below. It is really a piece of cake. I can now build a bucket in 10 minutes. I have extra PVC pieces laying around just in case i need a quick build. I had a bucket leak on my about 4 weeks ago, with a monster plant in it. If I could not have taken care of the leak immediately, I would have been screwed and would have had to harvest a month early. Instead, I built a bucket, filled it with nutes, and the wife and I carefully transferred the plant to the new bucket, all within an hour of discovering the leak. Anyway, take a look at the thread below if you have not already seen it. It really is easy to do.

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-*step-step*.html

One other piece of advice. If you are not growing the same strain from clone, don't grow multiple plants in one container, give each its own bucket. Reason is, different strains feed differently, some more than others, some less. If you grow multiple strains in one container, you are not giving each plant what they need. You have to sacrifice and pick a medium ground. Even if you grow multiple of the same strain, but from seed, they grow at different rates, and will still feed differently, as each seed can give you a different pheno. So its best to grow one plant per container, unless you are growing the same strain from clones, which then, they will all feed relatively alike, so you can then grow multiple plants in one container. Just one man's advice based on his experiences.

You can take a look at my buckets and my setup in my journal links in my sig. Good Luck. Peace. :bongin:

5. first of all thanks for the input guys.

I am certainly interested in building my own buckets but would like to start with something already assembled and then start working out my own bucket design during my first cycle and have some ready come round 2 when I can afford more lights to expand my setup.

And I would be purchasing seperate nutes, not the ones that would come with any of these types of kits.

So would something like this be better? Or am I still stumbling around in the dark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-SITE...055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e61f577

6. Honestly Ben everyone that has replied is right on building your own. Follow rumpleforeskins DIY bubble bucket its simple and quick to build. I think for barely 30 bucks I built one in like n hour n I already had half the stuff lime bucket lid airline tubing pump from having reptiles as pets.

7. You can even buy just the lid with a net pot built in if you dont want to cut anything

8. Thats not bad they're prob making 10 bucks on it..might need a stronger air pump though

9. Okay guys I'm sold. Thanks for the help. I will look in to a DIY kit. But how much should I be looking to spend for a single HIGH QUALITY bucket. If I'm going to do it myself I intent to do it right

Also how complicated would it be to build my own expandable ebb and flow setup?

10. Just a bucket from Lowe's with lid is like 4 bucks. Now I don't know where to find a black bucket but I'm sure they r like 5 bucks max. Idk about the ebb and flow system so sorry man can't help ya there but I'm sure there are plenty of ppl on here that know all about them

11. I should've been more clear. I meant how much would the parts for a fully assembled DWC or bubble bucket run me

Also where can I find the buckets with pre cut lids and net pots?

12. Thanks man. Would their 5 gallon bubble boy setup be something good to start on? I have zero experience with building anything like this, and the sooner I can get started the better. That would give me time to learn my way around a DIY system and expand after my first crop

P.S. +rep for the help guys

13. Yea i watched the video and the air pump looks big enough and a it has big air stone so its good