opinions on best design for my needs

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by takingiteasy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hey everyone I am wondering what would be the best set up for me. I've grown a few plants in my closet under cfl but the smoke was always not as good as the stuff I usually pick up around my way. I understand that cfl isn't the best option and I was wondering if someone could recommend a hps I could get. should it be a built in ballast or the one that's seperate. Is Mylar a must compared to white spray paint? What about ventilation? The closet has 2 sliding doors. Its about 5 foot high and then there is a bar and ontop of the bar is a shelf with about 3 foot of space ontop. the closet is like 3 feet deep and around 6 feet from left to right. Sorry if that's hard to understand im a little baked but (length-3ft, width-3ft, height-5ft) and the top shelf is the same except its only 3ft in height.

2. Hey there Bud,

You should check out my thread I made yesterday because you have almost the same size closet that I have my setup in.

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/1094330-first-closet-grow.html

I have Mylar on the walls (really not expensive for closet and can only help) with 600 watt MH/HPS HID light (separate ballast) in vented reflector hood exhausted with 720 CFM Fan set at 45% power with controller. I have a A\C unit in the space because my house A\C is switched off during the day when I'm not home but I live in a area where temp can climb to 90oF in the house(when I'm out) during summer.

Doing searches on google/amazon can get you good priced equipment with good reviews.

Cheers,
    XB :smoke: <THM>

3. Did you have to cut holes in walls and stuff? I dont really want to do that and the closet isnt neccesarily close to the window. I can keep the closet doors open during the light period if that makes a difference. nd is 600w really necessary if im only planning on flowering about 4 plants at a time? Thanks for the help

4. Hey,

Yea I cut two exhaust holes in the ceiling and feed 6" ducting up. This is because I have the door under lock and key and never opened as I have enough room inside to work with closed door.

I have read that closet grows work just fine if there air is exchanged by opening door but my situation does not have proper temp for that. Also I forget where but I read a good rule of thumb is 50-100watts per plant, so 600 for 4 is overkill by a long shot.

Cheers,
    XB :smoke: <THM>

5. Or you could split the room in two and run two 400watt, more yield, and you could crop every month!

6. 600s are generally more efficient than 400s I believe, so if you wanted to do that maybe be better off with a 600 flowering room and fluorescents for veg. Anyway yes ventilation is a must, and a separate ballast will result in less heat in your room than in built. Mylar is optional but recommended.

7. I have another closet in another room that I plan to start new autos under cfl when the ones in flowering are nearly done to cut a week or so off the veg period. So should I get a 400w hps or 250w hps for for flowering 4 autos?

8. Normally I'd say go with the 400 because again more efficient than the smaller light and can be adapted more easily if you change your setup, but I assume you are flowering under 24/0 or 20/4. In that case it might be worth using the 250 for electricity savings, it is certainly enough for 4 autos but not much more.

9. Ya thats all that will really fit comfortably without it being too cluttered for my liking. I have a few 40 and 25 watt flowering cfls I could stick on the sides too. Now for ventilation....can I just run a standing fan or 2 with the closet doors open for the 20 hours and have the 4 hours of darkness without any kind of vents running thru my closet? I can keep the AC at a certain temp and it turns off when the room is that cold. Like 75.

10. You'd have to try it and see, I should think it will be fine though.

11. It should I've grown from seed to bud without the fan but there wasnt a 250w hps. What kinda nutrition should I use for flowering? I wannna do it pretty much organic. Like vegetable peels and molasses? Is that ok?

12. HPS is going to bring a big increase in heat. Not sure about your nutes I don't really do organic but it needs to be something with P and K. Try the organic forum they might be able to help you better.

13. Hey everyone ive got some bad news. Ive been told I can only have a 150w hps for personal reasons. can I properly grow 2 healthy autos with this amount of light and if so what size pots should I put them in for best results. Please say the pot by gallon instead of liter. Thanks.