opinions of why its still illegal

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by myrtlemybeach, Jun 4, 2006.

1. I don't buy that argument. If it were legalized and regulated, plenty (millions) of people would still buy it commercially. What about winter in Minnesota when it's -20 outside? You'd be heading straight to the liquor/bud store to pick up an OZ.

Sur, plenty would grow indoors and out, but there would be an enourmous amount that would go to the store to buy their cannabis cigarette.

Billions in taxes would and will be generated by legalizing marijuana!

2. Its illegal because too many are still making money off of it being that way.

3. Lot of things to adress here. First off the topic of the post. Marijuana was first made illeagal(in the us) during the 1930's shortly after the prohibition. The stated reason being of course its narcotic effects. Their were significant pushes by textile companies, in order to get hemp off the market and from racist groups, becuase of its conection to mexican immigrants and black jazz musicians.
    It is still illeagal because
    a) There is no organized, credible, or large group pushing *hard* for its legalization.
    b) It fits niether parties agenda all that well, Conservatives are too family value, and Liberals are too big goverment.
    c)It would make the government make look foolish if it were to admit it has lost the war on drugs, and no politician wants to look foolish.

Now, these are not reasons its still illeagal

The governtment won't be able to tax it. Americans are so lazy now adays, you really think most people are going to go grow thier own shit when they van just walk down to the store and pick up a 1/8 or a pack of J's?

The Tabbaco Companies don't want it cutting into thier profits. I'm not sure on this one, but I've heard from a good many people, including people I trust and should know(my boss for one, a pharmicist on the board of pharmcy in New Hampshire) that certain tabbacco companies already have planned Marijuana products including an advertising campaign

The FDA is anti-weed. They certianly aren't pro-weed, but there are people inside fighting for legalization. The reason smokable weed is considered to have no medical value, is the same reason diet pills and the like have no medical value. They didn't pass enough FDA tests. The results have to beyond statistically significant. Well beyond. Most drugs fail to FDA approved as medical. Thats the reasons the ones to do, cost so much.

4. Thats another thing. They can make it legal for only certian people to grow it. Like the Tabbacco companies.

5. they dont send you to "big boy" prison of mj they send you to a county jail and they could just "drop the charges" and give them all them monie they would have spent on them living i n jail

the reason y i think mj is illegal is i dont think were even a democratic nation any more its a comminust country lead by jesus christ and the fat cat republicans doing "gods will" they follow blindly in there god and do waht ever is told to them which is no fun. and do what is told. america really needs break free from its chains and start being the true supper power and lead the world in tru science and work for human kind not fighting holy wars not excuting jews not working children to extreams not letting there counry starve to death not developing wepons of mass destruction and i dotn hate religoin my famil is catholic i joust dont follow tings blindly like others it is time for the rebillion it is time to live life free

it is time to free your self to make new laws we must break old ones

follow me im am your saver i will lead you to freedom follow me

follow i will lead you to paradice you are the those ones \\ follow me

i will lead you into enternity

jsut follw were so close..:smoking:

6. I think this is absolutely one of the biggest reasons. "We are a Country and government for the people... run by the people" correct? If there was an enormous, creditable organization ...like NORML.org that organized national movements, while exponentially gaining support... Theres no doubt that it wouldn't be legalized...

Or would our government stomp all over our constitutional rights again? - Simply because they have no good motivation to legalize it...

i guess we're all too stoned to give a fuck eh? :smoking:

p.s. if it was ther i'd participate.. I sent compelling letters to my congressmen, and senators today.. every little bit helps.. join the fight ya'll

7. your bible.

the paper indusry

racstism

but mostly your bible

8. ill tell you exactly why
    if they legalized the recreational form they would have to legalize commercial hemp

which makes good cloth, better and more durable than cotton, there goes the cotton industry

which is a reliable source of ethanol, there goes big oil companies

you can make paper from it, there goes logging (saving the forests of the world too)

it is cheap and easy to grow, growing in almost all climates with heat and sun
    and in most soil conditions

so it threatens the companies that run this country

it can also be turned into food with nutricious levels comperable to soybeans, and the seeds contain an acid that lowers colesterol, the only place to find said acid

9. i dont get how thay can say it has no medical value when the a pharmaceuticals company is allredy marketing a product called Sativex ..it just pisses me off how they say it has no medical value when they have a company makeing it that had it aproved by them...

http://www.drugdevelopment-technology.com/projects/sativex/

10. One of the main reasons it's still illegal is because so little is known about it. There are strict laws reguarding marijuana research, so there's so little rock solid evidence as to its effects on the brain, lungs, circulatory system, and the body in general, that people are still scared of the unkown. Like AIDS in the '80s. No one knew anything about it so everyone was scared out of their minds.