Opinions about this CFL??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by CrossGore, Jul 10, 2012.

1. #1 CrossGore, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  2. It looks pretty good as long as you plan on using it for flowering and max 2 plants

3. You would be better going with a 150 hps vs a 150 cfl. And at almost 50 that's crazy cause you can get a hps for 60-70 and your par is wayyy better and the intensity is way better.

4. Awesome thanks! does a HPS use more electricity thou?

5. #5 fabfun, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012

step up to hid
    does it use more?
    about same watts more per hr
    u are charged by watts per hours so 150 cfl and 150 hid is same cost
    but i would suggest stepping up to a aircooled 250w but i would go for 400 watt so u dont have to upgrade later

6. It's all about the size your using. If its a 3x3 I would say go with a 600 but you would still be good with a 400. But 600 is my favorite personally.

7. just make sure u get a air cooled hood for that size area

8. #8 zippy657, Jul 12, 2012
    why are poeple always so wrong about this???? Drives me crazy!!
    If you are just doing one plant this CFL would be much better suited than the 150W HPS.

Two things though... I would check out the "lotus or mini-lotus" bulbs from the same ebay store. I use them and like them better because they round out the bottom (youll see in the pic) so if you hang them right over the head of the plant much more light is coming directly from cfl tube to plant.

I use two 105W Spiral 6500k cfl for veg and 2 125W mini lotus bulbs for flower in my cabinet grow closet... Its 24 inches x 15 deep and 5' tall. Two pots side by side at the bottom each 3.5 gal square with 11 inch diameter tops. They sit side by side each with one of these bulbs in 10.5 inch drop light reflectors hanging over them... Lets you raise each light independently as plants grow then when you switch to 12/12 just change the bulbs to 2700k and keep raising them as the plants grow. I then use as many 23 - 26W as feels right (like 6 at full grown with 4 2700k and 2 6500k during flower for good measure).

They are MUCH better suited here because you are using one per plant and not trying to cover any large area so you can cram those bitches literally an inch away from your plant top. How could anyone think HPS of the same wattage could deliver the same light to the plant from minimum 5 times the distance?? Its just complete nonsense. A 400 W lamp 2 feet away doesnt send my light meter to 9500 Footcandles like these do from 2 inches!!

So like i said, check out the lotus bulbs from the same sun god ebay store (same as the 8u store you were looking at), but keep the CFL design for one or two plants... They actually have a mixed spectrum Lotus bulb at 200 Watts for 65 bucks.. that and a few small supplimentary 23 cfls at 2 bucks a piece and keep everything close and its PLENNNNTY of light to keep 2 plants rocking and rolling... I prefer using one 105 W bulb for each plant, but a 200 mixed spectrum for 65 bones is probably what you want if cost and simplicity are of the utmost concern.

And on a side note if i see one more person tell a beginner how much better their 150w hps is than my 125w CFL, I'm a gonna lose it!!! Par dont mean shit and most grow CFL get their photosynthetic wavelength research so per watt the cfls are 80% as good now... and can be kept at the least 1/5 the distance. Much more efficient in this type of grow. I use HID when i need to cover 9 - 16 plants... not 2.

Hope this helps!

9. #9 kushkap92, Jul 12, 2012
    Well the reason I like hps is cause I don't have to worry about moving lights everyday and those burning my leafs. And by the way my test strain area used to have 350w worth of cfl and then got a 150w hps and 2 68w 2700k cfl and got wayy better growth and way better temps in there. And that's just for 1 plant which you are saying bad. People put 1 plant under 600w and even seen 1 plant under a 1000w so I guess they are stupid cause they didn't use 600w worth of cfls or 1000w worth of cfls. Bro I'm sorry you can't say cfl is better then a hid for primary light. And par and intensity are some of the most important stuff! And by the way I have the 150w at 3" off my plant so where the hell is this 5x the distance bullcrap. And look up foot candles for a hps I have the chart just not letting me post. A 150w hps at 4" gets 45,837 and even at 7" it gets 14,967 foot candles

10. Well you guys got me confused.. which one conserves more energy??

11. [quote name='"CrossGore"']Well you guys got me confused.. which one conserves more energy??[/quote]

It's all about how many watts you use bro. When you veg tho do use cfls just a couple would be good even. I have used 2 23w one 6500k and one 5000k and it grow out to about a ft just fine. and for me personally hps saved me money because I switched from 350w full cfl to 280w hps+cfl.

12. they are dumb for using 1000 watts on one plant because at least 80% of that area is just lighting the ground... and "bro," yes i can say they are better for primary light. Because if you use them right, they are cheaper, cooler, and deliver more usable light to the plant per watt input. IE better. Its not to say it doesnt work the other way obv. You went from 350W of CFL to 150 and 140 (290) so not a huge drop, and my guess is you werent using those CFL's correctly.. Ive seen the HPS chart man. my point is if you are trying to make 150 watts grow something you are better off with a single cfl that you can fucken shove the plant inside and pull the leaves through (exageration) then using one you gotta keep 7 inches away (if you can even keep it that close...) the only reason Flourescent lighting isnt always better is that they dont have 400W point source bulbs so using 4 separate lamps for 4 plants gets pricey... so we go HID and cover the area with a mega bulb. CFL's work great esp for veg but also for flower if you can move them every day and shit... but if your looking for the most efficient/effective way to grow one plant with one bulb.. The answer is CFL man... it just is. also claiming you got better temps with the hps is just a lie. again, it just is.

13. [quote name='"zippy657"']

they are dumb for using 1000 watts on one plant because at least 80% of that area is just lighting the ground... and "bro," yes i can say they are better for primary light. Because if you use them right, they are cheaper, cooler, and deliver more usable light to the plant per watt input. IE better. Its not to say it doesnt work the other way obv. You went from 350W of CFL to 150 and 140 (290) so not a huge drop, and my guess is you werent using those CFL's correctly.. Ive seen the HPS chart man. my point is if you are trying to make 150 watts grow something you are better off with a single cfl that you can fucken shove the plant inside and pull the leaves through (exageration) then using one you gotta keep 7 inches away (if you can even keep it that close...) the only reason Flourescent lighting isnt always better is that they dont have 400W point source bulbs so using 4 separate lamps for 4 plants gets pricey... so we go HID and cover the area with a mega bulb. CFL's work great esp for veg but also for flower if you can move them every day and shit... but if your looking for the most efficient/effective way to grow one plant with one bulb.. The answer is CFL man... it just is. also claiming you got better temps with the hps is just a lie. again, it just is.[/quote]

I guess he is stupid just getting a 2 pound plant nothing much tho I guess because you can do that with cfls correct? I'm gonna say my last words here and say words of a veryyy smart grower who has been in this manyy manyy years. "there is no watt like a hid watt" and by the way don't say I lie because I don't. And to the op google cfl vs hid so you can find out the real TRUTH.

14. #14 zippy657, Jul 12, 2012

Nice last words....
    Here are mine:
    HO CFL's are new so your old timey grow champ might have changed his tune. Ask him. After you ask him, remind him that there are watts like HID watts. Actually all watts are like hid watts. Lumens output in usable wavelength ranges is all that matters. <-- Just another case of real science beating out stoner science

If you put 1000 watts on a 2 lb plant its not really one plant its one tree, and it didnt get that big drinking 1000 watts, trust me. If that one plant was raised to that size under fucking 1000 watt bulbs then he still wasted a shitload of energy, and 50 - 100 stems on a scrog woulda destroyed his yield in the same area in half the time.

and here is the kicker:
    for the operation the OP is describing, CFLs are the better fit, because... stay with me here... they are cheaper, cooler, and DELIVER MORE USABLE LIGHT TO THE SURFACE OF THE LEAVES PER WATT, because you can keep them much closer to the plant.

Please, google CFL vs HID. Thats probably where you should have started to be honest lol. This was fun though.

...Oh, i almost forgot, after you google, make sure you interpret what you read and apply it to your situation, and decide which light to get. My vote is for CFL!!

Please let us know what you decide.