Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Opinion/Opposition Research

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by dirtballpothead, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Okay, so for my english 2010 class (Utah State University) we have to write an opinion/opposition paper. One paper on the pro-side of the arguement, another on the con-side of the arguement. I'm sure you've guessed by now, i want to write on teh legalization of marijuana. i'm not talking only medically, but legal for any adult to smoke. Obviously the pro-legalization side will be easy to write. I plan on using information from www.norml.com. great great website. But, the con side will be hard. I know there are reasons out there for it to be illegal, or at least strikes against the legality. Granted i don't think any are legitimate enough for it to remain illegal. So, i don't want a huge arguement, i was just wanting to hear what some people think. So I challenge you seasoned tokers to put all bias asside, think in a mature, academic way, and think of some possible anti-marijuana legalization ideas/thoughts.

Thanks so much GrassCity!!!!!!!
    You help keep my sanity!!
    Toke On :smoke:

2. =\ You made a whole other thread in a different section linking to this to ask for help. Tsk tsk tsk.

3. you know, i realized this now....sorry.
    just trying to be productive in the lab during my english class figured this was the place online for good, legit, information
    ended up deleting the other one, bad style, for sure haha

4. Don't hesitate to use everything you disagree with on the con side. There are plenty of reasons why marijuana should be illegal, whether they resemble reality or not. Just get in the head of the condescending self-professed intellectual we're all used to dealing with and run with the (so-called) research they typically site.

Just try your best to seem objective, although most people's idea of objectivity is skewed.

5. I have to agree with blaked. I have yet to hear of one reasonable argument for the legalization of MJ. In the interest of getting a good grade your instructor probably wants coherent reasons against the legalization of MJ so I can't give you links to all the bonehead articles I have found. Maybe you could state that legalizing MJ would cause other legalization movements in cocaine, heroine, ectasy or whatever. Maybe you could also state that legalizing MJ would represent a win for druggies in our "war on drugs" and "tough on crime" policies. Just some thoughts that might help your paper.

6. okay, i just got a couple of kick ass quotes. Pres. Jimmy Carter when he spoke to congress on the 40th anniversary of marijuana prohibition, Aug 2, 1977. "“Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana in private for personal use.”
    Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young called marijuana “one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.”
    great quotes eh?

i've found some decent stuff against legalization. a lot of the problems that the anti-pot people argue seems to stem from immature, and irresponsible use. The results of irresponsible alcohol use are far more dangerous, yet its legal for 21 year olds. The anti-pot people also claim that marijuana is not only a gateway drug, but also is bad in its own nature. It seems like all good info i find, i can so quickly disgard it with fact. but i will say it is interesting to look at all this from the totally opposite perspective. i think it will be good for me, it'll definitely help when it comes to debating the topic. it never hurts to be well informed.

7. Marijuana makes you crazy, you'll end up in prison and addicted to heroin! not to mention the fact that it makes people gay. I believe these are all valid reasons to not smoke ganja