Opinings on my first grow/ Should I cut the fan leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by justinmel17, Sep 26, 2009.

1. First time growing here just wanted to post pictures of the plant I took today and get opinions from people with more experience growing then me. All the picture were taking today which is day 27 veg. Also, should I cut the large fan leaves?

Thanks,

Justin

Attached Files:

2. Those look real healthy dude, pretty good growth for 27 days, i dont know about the fan leaves myself im pretty sure they say to leave em on there, i'm on my first grow and i was thinkin that if i took the fan leafs off more light would get to the new growth but like i said its my first grow.

3. no need to trim fan leaves till late flowering or not at all mabey lst to get more light on the sides or just get more lights

4. #4 cody8892000, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023

5. Im on my first grow - nearly finished.
    I found that you shouldnt cut leaves off, they will serve their purpose first by feeding the bud areas then when ready they will just drop off.

If you cut them off the plant will have to work harder to find its essential feed, which could stress it..

Good luck dude

6. Thanks for your opinions I will post more pics in a week or so. Right now I have 3 23w cool white cfl's putting off 4,200 lumens. Should that be enough light until I start the flowering stage? And once I do start the flowering stage, I know to switch to 12/12 but should I keep the lights I have or add more or switch to warm cfls?

7. Hi again.

The more light the better you are fine now for vegging but as i quickly found more is defo better when in flower.

I started with just 2 cfls and within a week of veg had 4-5 cfls and by the time i went to flower I had cfls 3-each side of her and a 70w HPS (BOUGHT OFF EBAY FOR 10QUID) Above her, and as you can see she looks pretty damn good.

Its not so much how powerful the light - my lights are perfect for 1 plant but cover her all over with lights and as the photo shows you get good budding all round.

If you aint got hps or cant get one aim to get 6-8 cfls (i would have 4 above her, and put 2 each side).

Good luck

Attached Files:

• NICE.jpg
      NICE.jpg
      File size:
      345.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Should I use warm or cool cfls for flowering or both?

9. #9 cody8892000, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023

10. Ideally like me you wanna get a HPS aswell - But if moneys tight get as many warm as you can (i dont think it hurts having cool aswell, but try to get at least a 70w HPS (these are usually sold as floodlights so for a 70w or 100w you will only pay 10-15 quid)

Obviuosly the bigger the light the better, but I couldnt possibly even think about getting a 250w or more, and for 1 or 2 plants its not absolutely essentil=al (but obviously better)

Ive just had look on ebay, and for less than 30 quid you can get hps heres one i found for 15 quid + P&P ---http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100w-hps-growlamp_W0QQitemZ200388009401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item2ea80e5db9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14---

If you cant get an hps just get loads of cfls around her.

Peace

11. warm light cfls are either 2700k or 3000k,daylight/cool cfls are 6500k.the best ones are 2700k for flowering,same spectrum as hps.you can tell the 2700k light by the yellowish oragnge color of the light,the cool ones look more white.

12. Hi mate thats the same light as mine, so yep it would work.
    Maybe oyu could find a 100w or even 150w for that price.
    But anyway that would work and it may take a 100/150w bulb youd have to try.
    I have 3 cfls each side and are daytime bulbs - and as you can see the plant grows!!
    (i mean obviously the right lights and conditions would always make a slightly bigger plant)

But then again if youre going 'pro' thats another thread.
    But yes that light and some 'warm' cfls if you can get em and you'll be set for a decent grow.,
    Mine was a clone and was only properly vegged for 4 weeks, It could have gone longer and possibly made it bigger, but im well happy.
    So if people say this and that always remeber if you are happy with what youve grown - theres no point in saying 'could have/would have/should have.
    we gotta grow and do what we can afford but with what ever you use just use it to the best of its potential (i.e. raising lights up N down for all over coverage, rotating plant for the different aspects of the light, and just generally treating it well) stick to that and you'll be set for a good grow..

Good luck and MAKE A GROW JOURNAL - then we can all help (like people do with mine):wave:

13. Thanks for the info!

I think I will start a grow journal. Can you send me a link to yours?