OpenToke - the Open Source Water Pipe

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by zetafruit, Aug 5, 2013.

1. #1 zetafruit, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
    Dear Druggies,

As an member of both the toking and hacking communities, I've come here to share my brainchild which combines my love of the open-source model and all things combustible. Though I'm new to this particular forum, I feel that this community, being one of the largest and most active out there, is the perfect place to introduce OpenToke, the open-source water pipe. Attached to this post is a product proposal including a schematic and several discussion points surrounding the first open-source, DIY water pipe. Gone are the days when a DIY piece meant carving an apple, twisting a plastic water bottle and looking like an utter fool. Here are the days of a beautiful, complex yet easy-to-build double chambered, cooled-water pipe which can be easily cleaned and discreetly transported.

The idea here is to create, first and foremost, a quality piece. The top objectives are, safety (naturally), quality of smoke produced, cost, and simplicity of assembly, in that order. This is NOT a commercial product and these schematics and information should always be available free of charge. While anyone interested in manufacturing and selling water pipes to the specifications in this document may do so, the product described is not inherently commercial.

For your convenience I'll include the text of the proposal in this post, but I encourage you to download and examine the schematic. Please share any relevant knowledge, suggestions or questions you have about the product. Keep in mind that this is the first iteration of this idea, and that the point of open source projects is to improve rapidly and effectively. You know what you like in a water pipe, share it with the community and build yours accordingly! Most of all, enjoy it!

---TEXT OF PROPOSAL---

Code:
    OpenToke V0.1 Open Source Water Pipe
    Code:
    The OpenToke is an open source schematic for the construction ofa quality, convenient, and versatile water pipe.  The OpenTokeintends to fulfill the needs of casual and frequent smokersalike, through a double-chambered design and cooling system toprovide the coolest and smoothest smoke possible while being arelatively low-cost alternative to traditional glass waterpipes.
    Code:
    The OpenToke aims to have the following qualities, listed inorder of priority:
    •A safe alternative to expensive glassware
    •A quality smoking device
    •An inexpensive piece
    •A flexible, modifiable and convenient piece
    •A discreet piece which can be easily disassembled and
    Code:
    reassembled for convenience in transportationWhat the OpenToke is not intended for:
    •Use of illicit substance
    •Use by persons under 18 or legal smoking age in their area
    Code:
    V0.1 Solutions NeededThis is a list of potential problems/discussions which need tobe had regarding the current version's design.
    •Bowl: Current Ideas
    •Bowl from the small metal pipes found in most tobacco shops.
    Code:
    These are easy to obtain, and though they usually require a    mesh filter, they are already the perfect size and easy to    pack. The only problem may lie in attaching the bowl securely    to the piece.
    • Mouthpiece from a Trumpet
    These are also easy to obtain, but may require additional work to properly fix to the assembly.

•The mouthpiece on V0.1 is a small 1” opening intended to be
    Code:
    used more like the mouthpiece on a glass bubbler, as it is    easier to create an oral seal on this size pipe than on the    4-inch pipe used in the chambers.  However, as the    traditional bong mouthpiece is much larger and is meant to    encircle the mouth rather than be encircled by it, this piece    is open to discussion before the piece moves to V0.2.

• PIPE
    •While I am unaware of any transparent PVC pipes, these may
    Code:
    exist, and in the event that they do (and are usable at the    same or higher temperatures than standard PVC) I realize that    this would be ideal.
    Notes:
    Code:
    Material: PVC (Excluding bowl) NOTE: PVC material is approved    for temperatures up to 140 ÌŠ Fahrenheit. It is recommended    that both chambers are filled with crushed ice alongside the    standard water, and STRONGLY ENCOURAGED that the first    chamber is filled with ice. NO COMBUSTION IS TO OCCUR WITHIN    THE PVC OR IN CONTACT WITH THE PVC.
    Code:
    This project is currently seeking people with expertise orexperience in any of the following fields:
    • plumbing • chemistry • physics
    Code:
    And the project is open to contributions and suggestions fromany interested parties.
    Code:
    The schematics included in this document were created byZetafruit and are intended to by modified and shared by thepublic with attribution to the creator.  This schematic isprotected under the Creative Commons Free Culture License,meaning that these schematics should not be sold or bought, butshould be shared in the same manner as obtained.  The licensepermits for the sale of the final product.
    Code:
    Zetafruit and any contributing members of this project are notresponsible for any consequences of using the described product.

Attached Files:

2. I apologize for the wonky formatting of parts of my post, I'll try to fix it soon.

3. sorry to say no1 gona give up glass for pvc.. and if u think this forum is full of druggies your tripping lol gl but i think it  a flop

• Like Like x 1
  4. I disagree, I think this is actually a pretty cool idea. Idk if PVC is the ideal material to use but I'm sure that it could easily be replaced with something else.

5. I think you should reconsider glass. Glass doesn't care people, and can have a shell around it to increase durability if thats what your worried about.

6. #6 AlpacaBowl_, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
    You're tryin to reinvent the wheel bro.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lol, awesome username.

• Like Like x 1
  8. When you said open source I wanted somethin arduino >=[ lying is bad sir! Lol sorry no hate I'm just super high

9. #9 Giese48, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
    sorry   to  hear  that...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]