Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Opening a headshop?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Amber, Jan 9, 2014.

1. I'm wanting to open a headshop/"magic" bakery in SoCal, Colorado, Oregon, or Washington.  I'm not sure where to start, though!  If anyone has any tips, information, or opinions, please help me out!  

I'm 19, about to go to school for my business degree and very committed to opening this business.  I don't know anyone, and I don't know where to start to get "connections."  Any help is greatly aprecciated!

2. ^ this is one of the only reasons I hate this site sometimes.

He was asking a more specific question that atleast to my knowledge doesn't get asked a whole lot. And even if it does, who cares?

OP, as far as connections, If you're meaning you're "magic" flour, I'd start by getting in touch with the dispensaries in the area you're wanting to work on. Explain you've got this idea, and etc etc.

And as far as pieces, you can do the wholesale avenue and look around on google, find manufacturers* and get in touch with them,

OR

An even better option, find some college art student who's knowledgeable in glass-blowing fresh out of school looking for work, explain you've got this idea and blah blah blah.

Are you doing the baking and whatnot yourself?

I love this idea, and honestly haven't heard it alot. I honestly don't know if you really need to go the college route for business unless you really want to. If its only for starting this business, I suggest maybe talking to local business owners, ask them for tips, read up on ALL the regulations and codes for the state you wanna start up in, come up with a sound business plan, and try to find people to invest in it.

If you have the drive, you can make it.

On the idea alone i'd invest into it.

3. The College route may set you back more than actually help you. There is more than enough information on the public domain pertaining to opening and running a business. 

4. [quote name="AmBear420" post="19307349" timestamp="1389254458"]I'm wanting to open a headshop/"magic" bakery in SoCal, Colorado, Oregon, or Washington. I'm not sure where to start, though! If anyone has any tips, information, or opinions, please help me out! I'm 19, about to go to school for my business degree and very committed to opening this business. I don't know anyone, and I don't know where to start to get "connections." Any help is greatly aprecciated![/quote]Be careful, businesses are either a hit or miss. Good Luck though.

5. #6 Amber, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
    Thank you guys so much for your feedback!  I'm a she, by the way, Guitarguy 1821(;  I'm so angry!  I just had an entire page typed out and my computer messed up, so I have to type it all again!

Stoner Scholar, can you explain why you think college would be more of a setback?  I was thinking of not going simply because it's so costly and I don't want to be in debt before I even start my business!

I've done a bit of research, and it seems that if it's not legal or decriminalized, headshops are pretty much in a "gray area" of legality.  I know that in either Washington or Colorado, if not both, you have to 21 or up to buy or sell, so I would have to wait at least a year to open shop there.  I was leaning more towards SoCal, though, simply because I like the warmer whether and the beach.  Haha.  Only problem, I'm worried about how much business I would get there.  I know there's a lot of shops already open there.  I'm not sure about magic bakeries, but most definitely headshops.  I google mapped it, and wow.  Haha.

I was also thinking about trying to find a business partner.  I know opening a business would be hard work; I've also heard that a lot of businesses go under the first year.  I believe having a business partner would better my chances of keeping it alive.  I know the first year at least, cash would be a bit tight, so I would have to limit the number of employees.

I've asked my cousin her opinion on it and she suggested I try to "network," which I'm not exactly sure how to do.  She suggested I start with forums, so here I am!  Haha.

7. Obviously, I'm new at this.  Haha.  I'm not sure if you get a notification unless I quote you.  So, I'm sorry if you got mulitple notifications!

8. Well the reason I would caution against college is because it's very, very expensive. My loans are large and slowly yet inexorably creeping closer. Not to mention that when you get to college sometimes you get...distracted. You may mess up and have to repeat classes or you may have to leave for an extended period of time putting you behind. I'm too far down the rabbit hole not to finish my education and I'll admit part of the reason I went to college was to enjoy the "college experience". 

9. If you could get job in a head shop, that would be very beneficial. Great way to learn the business. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. ^ exactly. School costs a butt load, and to be honest, if you're starting a business, experience is gonna be way more valuable.

And my apologies, my phone doesnt load pics! :p

Yeah, I've considered not going to school simply because of it's cost.  I can't get a second job at the moment.  I work at General Motors, and that pretty much takes up a lot of my schedule.  I can maybe try to get a part time job if they would be willing to work around my schedule.

12. it seems very silly to me that people think they can move to cali or CO or WA and open up a headshop and be successful. Those markets are already saturated with top quality shops. It'd be like moving to downtown tokyo and opening up a sushi bar as a young person with little funds and no knowledge of the business 

13. Yeah im pretty sure you dont need to go to college to open a business. I could be wrong but im pretty sure you dont, you just have to acquire the proper locenses. As far as where to open shop i personally wouldnt go to those states, its too flooded already. Its like the people that say they want to move to a legal or medical state to grow for a living, then the few that actually do usually fail because theyre trying to break into an already established and flooded market. Stay where you are or move somewhere where its not so flooded. The only real way to make money in a flooded enviroment like thise places if your new is honestly to be the suppliers supplier. The people moving to CO to open headshops arent making much $ but best believe the people selling wholesale glass to them are.Theres just too many headshops to make a good profit coming in as a "newbie" to the area

14. This, although there are small towns all over america that could use a headshop.