Online Poker

Discussion in 'General' started by Baker, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Does anybody have any experience with this?
    I remember hearing some shit about not being able to win money if you live in the U.S, does anybody know anything about this?

I want to start playing for money but have heard bad things and am worried that it'll be lose lose even if I win money because of the U.S

2. I play alot of online poker, been my income for a while. The laws with the US are kind of sketchy but i dont play for SUCH high stakes, like my currenty bankroll is 3k. (i had like 6kish but cashed out and lost a whole lot) so im not too worried.

If you are new to online poker, the sites that allow us players are full tilt poker, and pokerstars. Stars is currently the number 1 site, most players, and best customer support. I would highly recommend it as the site you first start playing on.

Deposit $50, try to work with it, dont play outsite your bankroll and its a great way to pass time and make some money. I have been playing for years and only now am i a winning player so dont expect to win right away, it takes a lot of time and patience and the ability not to through your computer away if you get bad beated. If you want any help feel free to im or pm me :)

3. That was just the answer I was looking for :D.
    Good to hear. I had an account on Fulltilt back in the day but was always sketchy to try it after hearing rumors about all the new laws passing.
    I'll try pokerstars I guess, I'm new to online play, but have been playing Omaha/Stud/Holdem for years now, and for pretty big stakes at real tables so I'm not too worried about losing, and I can deff handle a few bad beats :p

Thanks

4. Online play is so much different from live its weird. When i first started playing i dont think i noticed much, but as i got more into it, it really showed.

I really only play hold em multi table tournaments. Anywhere from $11-$55 buy in and 180-2000 people. I play some cash games too, trying to get good at $1-$2 no limit but its rough:D

I dont know if you want to take online poker seriously and try to maintian a roll or just something to blow around with and try to make a couple of bucks, but if you are serious about making money a key concept is bankroll mangment which is very important or else you will go broke online in no time.

Here is a very good article to help you understand varience and online poker and how its very different from live. http://www.pocketfives.com/5C57520F-8A89-43F3-97E6-54D240CB3E59.aspx

I hope i dont seem like condesending if you know all of this already im only trying to help :D:p

5. I like www.poker.com.

The laws in the US are weird, but there are workarounds. You normally can't deposit directly from your bank account or credit card into a site, you have to go through a third party, but you can definitely play for money - I do it all the time.

I would say practice in some play money games first. Read some books - ones I'd recommend are all published by two+two publishing (great company), but good ones to start with are Theory of Poker by David Sklansky, and No Limit Hold Em Theory and Practice, also by Sklansky (if you play NL Holdem, I assume you do). If you're going to play tourneis, check out the Harrington on Holdem series. Reading these books will make you a much better player.

Also try checking out the forums at http://www.twoplustwo.com/.

Online is weird though, people are usually a lot stupider and a lot more crazy, just a warning.

Good Luck dude, just play within your means and read up on theory and you'll do fine and have a blast.

6. I think that certain types of ppl are better at online than others...

Me...I am a visual person...so if that's you too...then online poker might not be for you.

it's been up and down for me...I seem to win much more consistently in live play for some reason...just the way my mind works. I am really good at reading ppl, and online this is much more difficult to do, for me anyway (fewer tells).

I've been playing for 5 or 6 years and online for 3 or 4, and I'm still on my learning curve. Poker is very much a game of luck as well as skill. It's a tough living...to "grind" it out. I don't think it's for me. It may not be for you either...I still plan on playing high stakes poker, anyway. I just need a much bigger roll to do that. I have a bad habit of playing higher stakes than my bankroll will allow, this is a common problem.

Read Mike Caro and Doyle Brunson, maybe a little Sklansky...if you want "good" poker theory.

7. Deposited $50 on full tilt like 2-3 weeks ago. First mtt i played. Brag post :D:D:D

[​IMG]

(I am the boss)