'One-strike' pot-test rule for job hopefuls OKd

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by CommieNerd, Mar 3, 2011.

1. 'One-strike' pot-test rule for job hopefuls OKd

An employer can refuse to hire someone who has ever tested positive for marijuana or other drugs, even if the applicant is now clean and sober, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

In a 2-1 decision, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said the "one-strike" rule of the Pacific Maritime Association, which controls hiring in the West Coast longshore industry, doesn't discriminate against rehabilitated addicts in violation of disability laws.

2. That is a terrible precedent to set.

3. #3 bobba loo, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
    thats pretty fucked up
    why is the punishment more harmful than the crime?

4. The drug war is turning a corner and is more about punishing people who choose non-Wall Street (government) goods than ever. It's not that its bad for you, but that the fear of what it will prohibit you from doing if caught that will be the fear they use. I suspect any day some sort of ruling will be made whereby parental rights will be affected. Hit people where it really hurts. That is the game.

I view a drug conviction as an early version of the implanted "chip." It will essentially "erase" you from society, and leave people little choice but to turn to crime when they can't get a job, housing, etc. thus perpetuating the intended cycle.

5. good idea! who needs jobs anyway?

6. This is ridiculous. Not just for pot smokers but for anyone who has recovered from an addiction.

If you clean yourself up after years of abusing any kind of drug, the govment around you shouldnt punish you for being clean and sober.

Shouldnt the US government be helping people who have become clean and sober integrate back into the work force?

Im a chef of a bistro, and I know for a fact, that the majority of the employees that I work with day to day in the restaurant have their vices. Whatever it may be, but if this law were to pass here and the owner wanted to, he'd have to fire pretty much all the staff with the exception of 3 people.

Id say if you like to indulge in anything, keep it out of the workplace, and enjoy it at home. When your at work, be sober and work, and you want to chill out, chill out.

Most of the workers know I like to enjoy a pinner at the end of the day, and after a busy day, I dont mind if the cooks around me want to have a few pints once their off duty, their actually entitled to two pints of beer at the end of their shift here.

7. This is up to the employer though. Unless your future boss is a real nazi I don't see why he'd refuse to hire you over a simple possession charge many years ago. If he is then I wouldn't wanna work for him anyway. People could protest businesses that do this by boycotts and the like.

8. IMO someone needs to shoot people like that. That's about as fucked up as it gets.

But then the chill side of me regrets saying that.

9. It's not the drug the ruined the persons life, it's the system that did it.

10. How the hell will they know you failed a past drug test without your disclosing it? Shouldn't that be private information?

11. just another clear as day reason why our government is failing us. And the american people are too retarded, and unorganized to do anything about it.

12. I recently heard that some major federal agency like the FBI or something dropped the requirement of never having smoked marijuana, because they simply could not get enough applicants.

A law like this will "work", until they find that they are excluding too many people for something essentially irrelevant.

The sheer number of pot smokers is the irresistable force, and the government is the immovable object.

13. Why do we keep the same government if it's shitty? Can't we just start over with it??

14. haha, um.. if only huh?

15. How the hell are people supposed to get jobs then?!

Drug testing should be outright done with.
    If there were no drug tests the unemployment rate would drop DRAMATICALLY.

What's the point of looking for a job if you can't even qualify for more than half of them?

16. Drug testing is based in part off the idea that if people do some 'illegal' things they'll do others like employee theft. They don't want the drug junkies to steal from the company to get their fix and stuff like that. The other reason is pressure from the DEA and companies that make money off the DT's.

IMO as long as people don't come in to work high/drunk/whatever then IDC. I've had coworkers come in with a hangover and they're just a bitch to be around. I've also known coworkers who smoke pot and never had any problems at all with them.

17. This is why I work for myself. I am tired of seeing this kind of mentality run amok in our society. This is ignorance.

18. F_ _ _ them, when the sheeple can't get jobs, how will they ship those golden thrones to the wealthy corporate rulers of the world...:devious:

we had a problem like this a little over two hundred years ago in the 'colonies'...:cool:

19. Its all about control its yet another way to enforce a bullshit drug policy on the masses.

And seeing as hard drugs i.e. crack, heroin etc are out of your body in 3 days, and herbs a 2-4 weeks or more the term drug test is laughable its merely a pot test and nothing more....

20. is anybody else ready to riot and take this shitrag of a government down? :devious:

edit : (5 mins later CIA is knocking on my front door invading my privacy to "protect" the people.. aka, their asses)