One stop shop grow guides?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by machoman805, Mar 19, 2022.

?

What has kept you from growing weed yourself?

1. Prefer to buy it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dont know where to start

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Dont care for it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tried it, bad results

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Illegal where Im at

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hi all! brand new here, so much info for the beginner, indoor, smallscale grower. I want to grow the best I can as easily as I can, are there any guides that JUST tell me exactly what to do? I would gladly pay for this service. Is there anyone else that feels this way? Just like a lot of things nowadays, theres so much info, misinformation, conflicting information etc.. when you look something up and it gets overwhelming.
    Anyone know what I mean?

2. #2 GroBuddy, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    Check out the grow journals. Growing weed is basic and extremely easy, once you get your feet wet. Poke a hole drop seed and water. If using liquid nutrients rotate water feed if using dry amendments feed once a month and water when dry. Harvest when pistils change color and curl with mostly cloudy trichomes. Waste of money to buy a grow guide book when there's thousands of free ones on here. There's so much conflicting information because there's so many different ways to take a plant from seed to harvest. What works for one grower may not work for another different environmental factors and differences in setups can vary plant health and outcome. Just have to get to it do a couple shitty runs to dial in your setup then easy peasy

Sent from my SM-A102U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Right on, I hear ya, thanks for the input, guess I just need to settle down on something. Theres just a lot to consider it seems. Which mediums best, top nutrients, lights etc

4. This forum, GWE guides, and youtube, was all I ever needed, and I was bombarded with info.

I do recommend a couple good books, Ed Rosenthal has a nice one, worth keeping around and sifting through.

5. #5 GroBuddy, Mar 19, 2022
    All that depends on what's easiest for you. Each medium has its pros and cons. Nutrients as long as you dont get a bs brand are basically the same and lights as long as you have 30 watts per sqft minimum no worries. Coco is good for
    Slightly faster growth and hard to over water but you have to feed early and every watering, watering every day to multiple times a day. I use soil ( fox farms ) because to me its simpler as most soil comes with food amended just have to water every 3 days to a week depending on plant growth and pot size. Again just have to see what works best for your life style and growing technique.

If you choose coco just make sure you get a prewashed/ buffered brick. Unclean coco will absorb calmag and lock your plant out. You can wash and buffer yourself by rinsing and soaking in a calmag solution but as a new grower that's added stress

Lights multiply your grow space and divide that by lights actual wattage. That'll give you watts per sqft. 4x4=16 16÷720=45 watts a sqft

• Like Like x 1
  6. Think of there being no best. Until you've tried a few methods, learned the pros and cons first hand, and realize what YOU like to do, and what works for YOU, you may bounce around.

I remember trying to grow in coco for a while, we just never got along, I wasn't up on the watering habits, and my water didn't like the coco, too many lockouts. I was fudging around with other soils, some heavy and wet, some too light, kind of settled on a mix that works for me and that I like.

Same for pot size, and lights. I was using plastic pots, tried some fabric pots, back to plastic, back to fabric. I was hanging my lights way too low, way too high, and in between. Sort of figured out what worked for the equipment that I had.

Sure starting from scratch there is a lot I could have done different to improve right out of the gate, but I wouldn't have learned as much along the way.

7. Generally Soil (Dirt) grows are a good place to start as they are the most forgiving of newbee screw-ups.
    Starting in small pots and a couple of transplants will keep the tendency of new growers to grossly overwater causing damage and slow growth to a minimum.

Figure out where you want to grow. Inside or Outside. Start reading a few journals related to how you plan to grow. Ask questions. Most of us are more then willing to help coach a new grower.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Didn't see the poll, I guess my answer is what stopped me was it being illegal, and not being able to grow inside. Outdoor in my area is too hard because of weather.

After legal, the only thing that stopped me was my own ignorance. I thought it was like cooking meth, you needed thousands in start up equipment, a degree in biochemistry and a massive place to do it.

I got a cheap tent, cheap light, soil, water, and some bag seeds, voila.

9. I was a newbie, now I'm on my 5'th crop. I did this for each decision. example, LED lighting. Read/watch everything you can on lighting. You'll find that 80-95% of people agree on something. Do/buy that. Read up on soil, you'll find that 80-90% of people do it a certain way, then do it that way. When I started Fox Farms soil and nutes were what a high percentage of people were using. I still use Fox Farms. There will always be someone telling you to try something new or different. Nothing at all wrong with that, some of it is actually great. But for my first crop and simplicity's sake I generally tried to copy what MOST other people were doing. I was set(in my mind) to supplement with CO2. Until I realized that that isn't really cost effective at my level of grow, nobody else was doing it. As far as a one stop grow guide, this Forum is going to be as close as you can get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Great info, and great help. Sounds like some trial and error and experimentation needed. Nothing is worse than investing some time and money into something that doesnt work or yields minimal results, but it is a learning experience like everything in life.

11. lol my point exactly, where do I go for help?? These forums seem legit, but then it comes back to too much knowledge when people start saying different things on the same topic, so its like wtf what do I trust

12. Bruce Bugbee is a legend.

13. Yea that's what the first grow or 2 will be trial and error unless you're lucky. My first plant turned Male my second run only pulled like 7oz out of 4 plants now it's a pound to 1 and 1/2lbs from 4 photos or more I dont weigh anymore. I get around 14 32oz mason jars and 3 or 4 medium zip lock bags of trimming for edibles or wax. For me it was a light investment veg time and pot size, with good defoliation to remove all the unwanted sites that wont amount to anything due to being low not recieving adequate light.

• Like Like x 1
  14. If you're feeling overwhelmed with all the different info you're getting, just chuck it all away. If you've browsed enough to get overwhelmed, you've probably already heard the basics a million times.

There's lots of different 'aspects' to growing good weed, but try not to focus on any one topic, just look at the big picture, make sure your basics are covered, THAN start to focus in on things as they come up.

Get started with what you can get, what you KNOW will work, common things that everyone else is already using (Whatever style tent, decent light with enough output, whatever size and style grow pots or bags you want, and soil)

If problems come up, than you will have specific questions to ask, specific things to look for, and study more on.

Lots of things about growing don't make the most sense from people until you run into the problem yourself and can sort of make sense of it your own way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Definitely read threads on here even if it doesn't seem to apply to you yet. You'll find out things to ask about and research before you even knew you had a question about it. Other then that you just need to make mistakes and get some help on how to fix it. I effectively killed about 25 viable seeds before I started reading on here. I've never grown a plant a day in my life before and now I'm flowering my first 5 plants and I'm pretty impressed with how well they turned out and how much I have learned. I would highly encourage doing your own research but there is so much information that can be easily simplified for new growers and then more advanced as you go. I was just looking on Google before here and you are definitely right the information is overwhelming and inconsistent, much better asking some questions here. You can still get inconsistent answers on here but usually if you let the debate run it's coarse you'll get your answer.

I would recommend starting in soil, fox farms ocean Forrest, mixed with perlite #4 at around 30%, and fox farms trio for nutrients. Picking out a light I would be more picky with, so I would determine the size of area you want to grow and then start getting some suggestions based off of your price range. I would not recommend just buying one that fits your price off Amazon without some knowledge first. Get some seeds from a good proven breeder to start off, you can get a lot of recommendations on this site. Then just go for it and learn while doing.

Sent from my BE2028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Keep dropping knowledge people, all very much appreciated. Im grateful.

17. #17 GroBuddy, Mar 19, 2022
    Imo the easiest way at least a 4x4 tent at least 550watts dimmable. Oscillating floor fan, 2 pole fans. A large room humidifier not a smaller bedroom one. A 8in ac Infinity automated inline fan. Large hanging sticky traps if growing in summer in soil you'll get fungus gnats sooner or later. Small starter pots or pods, 2 gallon transplant pots if growing fems, 5 gallon pots if growing autos. 5 to 7 gallon pots for fems for finishing. Use happy frog to start seeds. Happy frog has mycorrhizae which is symbiotic association of the mycelium of a fungus with the roots ( helps promote root growth ). That starter pot can house a plant for 3 weeks with just watering when dry. If you start in a dome you can get away with watering every 4 days to a week due to the dome holding in humidity and moisture. If no dome water daily or every other day when pot is light. No food no special treatment yet just light and water with a little bit of air movement no need for inline fan yet I run mine on auto through veg. At week 3 transplant fems into 2 gallon pots 50% happy frog on top 50% ocean forest on bottom. Thatll replenish the soils nutrients no need to feed. At week 3 transplant autos into 5 gallons 20% happy frog on top 80% ocean forest on bottom. Autos can go another month to month and a half in that mix with no food, I've had autos go 2 months before I've had to feed. Photos stay in the 2 gallons for 3 weeks to a month then transplant into 5 to 7 gallons all ocean forest. Thatll feed for about another month. Now this isn't specific for every plant you can have 4 of the same strain and run into 4 different issues or no issues. But imo this is the easiest way to go from seed to harvest. Minimal work besides training and defoliation. Personally I would get all plastic pots I've used fabrics for years I'm transitioning to all plastic because I dont like how slow you have to water fabric pots in order to keep water from seeping out of the sides. Light I would recommend is horticultural lighting group, growers choice, chill led, mars hydro FC-SERIES ( only ) good flowering lights or dimmable to be used for veg and flower

Use fox farm, Dutch, or dry amendments imo I'm sure there's good maybe better ones but I know these are good

I also add worm castings to all my mix around 25% besides the initial starter pot

• Like Like x 2
  18. Here's "my" simple seed starting method. I'm sure most guys agree it works, can adjust as needed, like we're all saying. There's no 1 way. Some will say drop right in soil, some will say soak X amount of hours, than this than that. Some say paper towel, some say no paper towel. Whatever works. If my seeds are fresh or I'm not too concerned for them, I will plunk them right in soil.

I had old seeds, so I soaked them in a shot glass of water for about 12 hours. Warmth is key for germination so I stuck them in a humidity dome I have going that is on a heat mat. If you don't have that, top of fridge works, top back of a PC tower or near electronics with fans, anywhere that'll keep the water warm.

I planted into little square cell pots after the 12 hours, and two days later, look what I've got. Again, warmth and humidity is key for germination so I used what I had, put saran wrap over the cell pots to keep them humid, and put them in a warm (but very dry) area. If I didn't cover them, I may have risked them drying out, but if I didn't warm them up, I would have risked slow or no germination.

Every step is just about figuring out how YOU can solve the problems that need to be solved. For germinating, it's heat, and humidity. Solve both problems and you'll win.

IMG_5248.JPG

19. First figure out soil, coco, hydro. Than I would adding pieces too ur grow as u go. Unless u have plenty of money. Get good lights don't buy crap. U can add lights as u go

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app