One Step Closer to Legal Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by agent0064life, Jan 2, 2009.

1. From The Toker's Table:

http://thetokerstable.blogspot.com/

2. so, anyone can vote? You don't have to be american? Looks cool...

3. Yes. Anyone can vote.

4. would be funny if they made alcohol, illegal along with pot, due to them being informing bout how bad alcohol is.. just saying

i hope they legalize the herb

5. you can already vote. its been up for a few days atleast

6. I think you are thinking about change.gov... this is a different site, change.org

It's not government sponsored but the top ideas will be heavily lobbied for.

7. Theyd never do that due to so many great contributions from alcohol companies to so many different members of the government. One example would be that i bet alot of budweisers money went to pay for mccain's campaing seeing as how his wife is high up in that company.

I always say that they should either illegalize alcohol and tobacco or legalize cannabis. Stop waiting its just so hypocritical.

8. So, despite all of these awesome actions, do you really think Obama will pay any attention to it all?

I mean, im voting, its awesome i just am worried that all this isn't going to be payed attention to right now. Obama needs to do change something and give america hope, otherwise he won't be voted in for term 2. And in my mind at least, i think we have a seriously good chance at getting him towards leglazation in term 2 rather then now, right away.

just my 0.02

-BW

9. Dream on. The more you get stoned- the more believable this scenario is. Reality is unless congress hears the state's request for legalization of medically prescribed marijuana- then there's absolutely no chance marijuana will be legal in your state- despite however many petitions are filed and all the pot rallies. Never gonna happen cause it's a mind-altering drug first off. Second off if it became legal then stores would sell it and the state would want taxes from it and all that stuff- and since you can grow your own there's no way to control it. Work around those to stone-cold facts and pot will be legal as cigarettes.

I honestly don't see the big deal though. I mean pot smokers got it pretty good: they can get stoned and buy weed almost anywhere in the country- so legalizing it wouldn't be too much help anyway.

10. yes that'd be funny. Alcohol is pretty bad. I mean the statistics are there, but they base it on individuals who abuse alcohol- and the government looks at smoking weed without a prescription from a doctor as drug abuse. Kinda makes no sense when you compare the two, huh?

11. the government would tax it and it would sell because people are too lazy to grow it themselves... Attitudes like yours KEEP it illegal. Work around these facts? There's nothing to work around. The facts are there and have been there. Successful business models are already in place in California and Amsterdam and they make tons of taxed revenue, so I don't see why that same business model can be spread across the states for everybody.

12. In my mind, if we could get people to actully listen, couldn't marijuana be a potential saving grace to this econonmy? Really think about this. You know that rising un-enpoloment rate? Massivce debt to other countrys? Marijuana leglazation could seriously help out America, it seems like a prime time for everyone to move towards leglelazation. And not just smoking cannabis either. Think of the massive hemp industry!

-BW

13. Absolutely. The repeal of alcohol coincided with the economic turmoil of the great depression.
    The "green" economy that hemp could create has huge potential. If there is any continued pursuit of "biofuels" for our nation's (and the World's) future, hemp must be mentioned. We can't afford to keep making food crops into fuel. Add to that being able to save all those trees from being cut down for paper, and the environmental impact could be huge. Not to mention it would help our neighbors to the south with the cartel issue.

Businesses that would suffer or have their bottom line shrink as a result of prohibition repeal:

Alcohol
    Tobacco
    Big Pharm
    Chemical Companies
    Ethanol producers
    Cotton Producers
    Big Oil
    Law Enforcement
    Timber
    etc., etc.

When you see who is against it, it's easy to see why it's so difficult to change the laws. Prohibition repeal makes sense to everyone except those who think they have something to lose.

14. i have to slightly disagree with some of those.

I think the tobacco and big pharm companys would become producers of marijuana/hemp.
    Law enforcement, i don't think that effects them to much i mean, itll become like alcohol is now.(DUI,underage shit like that). im not sure how it would efect timber....cotton and ethanol producers? couidn't they expand to the hemp industry as well?

oil i think is one of our biggest troubles.

-BW

15. It's morally WRONG to arrest of 2,000 people every day and cause the brutal deaths of more
    than 5,000 people last year alone, just to ensure that big businesses have less competition :mad:

Especially when the outcome of that policy is drug dealers in our schools, less public security,
    and easier access to marijuana by minors. The only people gaining from the prohibition are
    leo and the cartels.

16. Tobacco may become producers. However, just like people can home brew beer, they would presumably be able to produce small grows at home. Considering tobacco is much more addictive, they have a reason to want it to be the "top dog" of smoked goods. People are hooked and can't quit. Could they have the same control with MJ? Not unless they 'doctor it up" to make you hooked. Who funds the anti-drug programs? The worst offenders of addictive chemicals there are- the alcohol and tobacco producers. :rolleyes: Big pharm wouldn't want people growing their own medicine.

Law enforcement budgets are bolstered by Federal programs for the eradication of marijuana. They seize property and that goes right into their budget. You don't see any "no-knock warrant" situations with alcohol and peoples' doors being kicked in for having a beer. The impact would be large. When you add in the prison systems (many of which are privatized, for-profit entities) and drug testing companies, there would be a lot of people that would be pretty steamed because their business would be going out the window. Why do you think law enforcement officials all stand behind our nation's "Drug Czar" when it comes to this issue? ;) The prison guard unions? Some medical boards? They all have something to lose.

As to other businesses "converting" to hemp: They already have their production and distribution channels in place. It would cost a mint to convert. They might be positioned to diversify. However, would the profits be as large as they are now? If hemp will grow as easily as it is said to, the profit margin would likely be low and volume growers would make up for it. Compare that to a tree, which takes many years to mature to timber size. More supply with hemp with more of a chance of "upstart" companies taking the reins. The "established" companies don't like that idea much.

17. People would not grow their own for the most part if they could get a pack of 20 joints ( medical grade) equivalent to a pack of cigarettes for 20 bucks. That's about a dollar a gram for dank.

That's at the very low end of the price spectrum. People STILL wouldn't grow it if 20 gram packs of chronic were sold for 50 bucks, because that's still damn cheap when you consider how much people smoke.

And why are you arguing for the prohibition of cannabis? It doesn't matter who profits from it being illegal, what matters is that cannabis prohibition is wrong, especially so when alcohol, tobacco, and synthetic heroine are legal.

18. I would also have to disagree,they may not make more money but how would they be losing money? People who like alcohol will still buy alcohol,Even more so with cigs.Pharmaceutical companies would be able to make medicine and most of the other companies could switch over.Law enforcement is the biggest isssue i think,The DEA won't have peaceful stoners to harass and ruin thier lives for a living.The DEA has to be the most immoral job out there :(

19. Exactly. We have to realize that people are already spending money on cannabis. No one will be losing money unless more people decide to use cannabis over another substance. But as of now, there is already a large industry for marijuana, it's just an untaxed one.

20. Holy cow! You read my post and deduced that I am in favor of prohibition?
    No, my friend, re-read. ;)
    Understanding the challenges and who is in opposition to the repeal of cannabis prohibition is essential if we are to advance this cause.

Call me cynical, but I don't exactly TRUST big tobacco to grow me some organic cannabis. :D
    Cigarettes are so successful as a product because they are so highly addictive. They would not have that "return customer" with MJ, or at least not as high a rate of return.

I totally agree that most people would like the convenience of going to the store to pick up a "pack" of joints. It would be a shame if Mj was only available in "packs" of joints though. I think some people don't exactly want it to become yet another commercialized giant like alcohol or tobacco. The idea of "coffee shops" or just growing your own is very appealing to some.