One seed..Multiple spouts?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by happygrowlucky, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Just as the title says, wondering if this is normal? I have two plants just a few days after sprouting and this is probably the third day above ground. I wake up to take a peek and i see one of the plant has another sprout coming out and the other plant has two!

Anyone know what to make of this? I wasnt high when i planted. I havent smoked in over two months( a sin yes i know lol) but im more interested in growing than smoking at the moment.

A few thoughts what could be the problem:
    -Cheap soil i bought. Product is called Sta Green moisture control? Purchased from Lowes, Maybe contaminated

Thats the only lead i got so far.

Setup consists of:
    -4 26w 6500k bulbs( have 6 of them but two are off. Having trouble keeping temps down)
    -4-23w 2700k bulbs(not yet installed but will do as soon as i figure out the cooling prob.)
    -Temps are consistenly around 85-95F with humidity around 40

Oh btw..i pulled the other spouts out cause i thought they would drain the main plant of any nutrients it would be trying to get but not sure if that was necessary. If anything they will grow back in a few days and i'll snap some pics.

2. crappy soil that comes with a variety of seeds that you dont want or need. could be grass, normal weeds, some other type of plants, whatever. theyll keep popping up. just yank them.

3. and to answer the main question, no, one seed means one plant. no more than 1, sometimes less then 1.

4. Yo man it is way too hot in there for your babies. You should be looking at 85 max, and there you can still see problems. 95 will torch them, I just had a traumatic experience with that he he.

You should post of pic if this. Are there two sprouts coming from the same spot? Do they look attached? Don't play around with it and I'd wait to see if it grows more to learn it better.

5. thanks for looking out guys.

yea i had to unscrew two of the lightbulbs to bring the temps down to aroun 83 but thats still not comforting. going to compusa to pick up a few things for this

and yea i figured it was probably the crappy soil. next ones that pop up i'll grow them to see what they are and i'll post pics as well

thanks again.

6. I had a ton of seeds sprout from my general hydroponics cocotek bale so its not just cheap medium that gets a little seedy now and then.

Now that I think about it coconuts aren't grown or processed anywhere near where I live. I wish I had kept some of the plants just to see what they are :(

7. yea now that i think about it, i wish i had not ripped them out cause now im curious to see what they would've been.

anyways thanks for lookin out. im currently deciding on another grow space cause the stealth spot i made into one out of my closet was 2*2*2 and the temps just wouldnt go down. i was using 6x26w cfl's and i bought an 80mm comp. case fan but it didnt help much. i bought two but since seeing one didnt really help at all there wasnt any point. currently reading up the grow room/design thread looking for ideas. throw me some good, reliable ideas that are known to work.

8. one of my plants did the excact same thing. my guess would be genetic twins, either way i gave it a chance to live and you should see it now. pics of it soon. if it happens again, just think of it as a two-fur yo, cause the plant that did that it me is my biggest one i currently have outside.

9. Sorry, but it does happen, and is becoming even more common with the more hybridized versions of various strains. Often one will grow normal, the other will be mutant. I have seen a couple times where they grew exact twins.

Another thing that seems to be more common is triploids. Some of this is the result of using Colchicine in one of the parents in an attempt to produce better yields. It is not spoken of often in the breeding world, howeve rI do feel some breeders are using this to increase plant productivity. Colchicine is highly toxic, and what research is available shows signs it can remain toxic intot he next generation, and can effect the genetics for several generations.

We need to be aware of issues like this, especially in breeding, for what may seem a gift could actually be a genetic fail.