One Religion to Rule them All

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Predator1, Jul 24, 2007.

1. So as we all know, theres a lot of heated debate throughout the world on the topic of religion, and the whole concept tends to brew a lot of hostility among people who (I believe) have genuinely good hearts.

I think I want to found a religion. I don't know what it will be called yet, but I've got our "Bible" or whatever you will call it written out. Best part is, it ain't even a fuckin paragraph. Illiterates rejoice:

Don't be a dick. Don't steal shit, break anything that doesn't belong to you, say please and thank you, and don't kill anyone- even if they have different beliefs than you. When you die, we don't know what happens. All we can tell you for sure is that if you are a good person, you can rest in peace knowing that.

Who's with me?

;)

2. This is a fairly secular/atheist position. I would support the argument some have made (like Christopher Hitchens) that this philosophy is innate in us. We are hard wired to act this way and understand this behavior even before we are born.

Children don't need to be taught the Gold Rule through Bible stories, because either they can figure it out themselves, or similar children's fables teach the same exact thing. Any teaching method involving stories is fine as long as you don't actually believe it to be true without evidence, or you don't frighten the shit out of them with tales of hellfire.

So, I ask you, why write down something we already know?

3. It sounds a bit like "Imagine" by John Lennon. Lennon wasn't putting down religion, just the people that tend to segregate themselves with it. I like your basic rules, and I do live by them. The only thing I would add, is to help those in need.

4. a world without dicks... it could work! :smoke:

5. Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

6. You obviously know very little about John Lennon!!

7. Your rebuttal was just an insult.
    Please explain your position. :confused:
    I didnt see anything like what you were talking about in the song.

LENNON: It's not a new message: "Give Peace a Chance" -- we're not being unreasonable, just saying, "Give it a chance." With "Imagine," we're saying, "Can you imagine a world without countries or religions?" It's the same message over and over. And it's positive.

As for Predator1, I think writing a set code of ethics would only be misinterpreted and abused for private gain, just like any other set code. Its a nice idea, but it's a bit unrealistic.

8. It's classic nature versus nurture. Sometimes we go against our nature...sometimes not.

9. no, don't make a new religion. we have enough problems regarding religion in this world.

10. i dont know if you've ever read 'THE SATANIC BIBLE',, i think its wrote by ' ANTON LE'VAY'' but it basically states what you just said,,,,,

so your a self described satanist,,,, google it,,,, it's some good reading,,,

you'd proably be amazed at how much you would agree with it.

11. The beauty of religious freedom is the diversity it allows...

12. In my town we have an "interfaith center" where jews, muslims and christians go to hold their respective ceremonies.

It was neat until they argued about who deserved a certain room on sunday nights.

13. I can't decide whether I'm an agnostic or a Satanist. Honestly. It's difficult.

14. GREAT post man. Props for that!