One Plant, One Light: The most efficient single light source

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mr. Hazelton, Dec 22, 2008.

1. I've been growing for a while now and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it, but it's time for me to hang up the multiple plant life. However, I still wanna grow but just for me. I'm planning on building a 2'x2'x5' cabinet for a single DWC plant but I want to be as efficient as possible with my lighting. HPS lights are out of the question because I don't want to deal with heat/exhaust issues. I'm thinking of using 2 150w CFL's, but I'm not sure if that's the best option. I've heard that it's not wattage that matters when it comes to growing, but the lumens and nm spectrum. I'll be able to adjust the distance between the light and the plant in the cabinet so hopefully it'll be absorbing as much spectrum as possible. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them! Thanks!

2. I dont think they make 150 watt CFL's....

3. Pretty sure I saw the 150w cfl's at the depot earlier this week...just throwing it out their.

4. t5 light 4 bulb 4 footer run vertical 200 watt or a 4bulb 2 footer.can run 2 veg and 2 bloom for full spectrum

5. those most likely arent real watts

6. I'd reccomend 24" T5 Fluoros, I use three of them in my 3'x3'x5' closet grow. total of only 72 watts and gives off over 6000 lumens. Very little heat output, plants have to be almost touching the tubes before they'll go all southern-fried on you. CFL's could give you the same results, but T5 tubes seem to take up less space and can be easily arrayed horizontally as well as vertically.

7. #7 LongWay2Grow, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  8. not at wall mart they dont

9. try LED

10. I deffiantly wouldn't go led. T5 honestly seems like the best choice. Look around you can find some decent output ones for cheap to. like htg supply has a 2 foot that puts out 10,000 lumens. Goodluck

11. i dont know about LEDs. no personal experience but i have read here lots of places that they are not as good as other types. just do some research for what you want and go with the best option :smoking:

12. I feel confident in you guys' T5 recommendation. Thing is, my box is gonna be 2x2x5, the ceiling and floor of the grow being only 2x2 feet. Is that enough space for T5's? If it is, I'm definetly going to consider using them. I just figured in a small space like 2x2, CFL bulbs would be the only option.
    And yes, they do make 150w CFL's, though the 150w rating is the incandescent equivelent. I don't remember the lumen output off the top of my head, but it's decent.

13. If you haven't read Kamel's CFL Guide then do so now as it's a must-read for CFL growers.

14. Ok, I've been thinking and reading about this and what do you think about moderately strong T5's on two sides of the growbox and a light (that'd be stronger than the T5's and height adjustable) above so it doesn't grow sideways?

15. because the plant will get bushy and touch the lights on the side and burn zem :*(

16. Bushy is ok, I usually grow my plants so most the yeild comes from a few strong colas. I'm not worried about the plant touching the sides so much since T5's don't get very hot and I'm good with care/maintainece of grows, so I'll be able to trim if they get TOO close. My main concern is vertical growth. I don't want them to grow funky. I've read CFL's don't really get good leaf penetration, hence the reason I thought the T5's on the side would be a good idea.

17. yes, this sounds very good, the fluroescents are cool enough that the leaves can touch them for long periods of time and not get zapped and i have seem some decent 100% cfl grows. i would say your target is 10k lumens. 10k and you will do that plant justice and not regret it. good luck my dude!

18. thanks man, I think 10k is good too. I'm gonna go with the 2 T5's and 2 150w CFL's above and see what happens. Dunno when I'll start it, but I'll post pics to show how I made out.

19. I am using six 150 watt CFLs right now (43 actual watts) and they work fine. The T5 floros would also be an excellent choice for your space. I have been happy with the results so far.