One of my friends tried to kill herself because her boyfriend broke up with her.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by LHiver, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Basically this is the jist of it:

2 nights ago her and I went out drinking. Her boyfriend called her and asked what she was doing. She said she was with me having a beer at a bar. He got mad and called her "A stupid idiot" for drinking during the week on a school night. (I should note that school was cancelled for the next day due to Parent-Teacher Interviews, but he wasn't aware of that) So instead of telling him that, she accused him of being controlling, and that really pissed him off and he said "Whatever I'm trying to teach you how to be responsible" and he hung up. She ranted on about how much of an asshole he is for 3 minutes but I wasn't in the mood to hear about it again so I reassured her he'll forget about it.

So when we get back to her place she drunk dials him again and acts like everything is fine, but he's still in a pissy mood and he brings up the "controlling" comment she made earlier. She apologized but he wouldn't let it go and continued to ramble. Then she started crying and I put my ear to the phone only to hear him scream at her that she's a fu*king idiot, she's retarded, your always getting on my nerves etc. I whispered to her that she shouldn't take that from him. She again told him that she was sorry for the 15th time and then he said that they should go on a break. She started freaking out that she didn't want to go on a break and that she loved him but he said that he needs time to think and after a week he'll give her an answer to whether or not he wants to break up with her. She then tells me that if they can't be together she'd rather die. I thought she was joking at first but then I realized she was serious and I told her that no guy is worth dying over, especially if he treats you like shit.

After that happens she cries until she falls asleep and I try to comfort her being as drunk as I am. The next morning I go home and relax. By evening time I call her to see how she's doing but I get no answer. The next day day (today) I log on to Facebook and see a notification that I was tagged in a post/status. Her mom logged into her account and tagged all of her daughter's close friends that she's in the hospital and she won't be able to accept visitors other than family. So I text her cousin and sure enough I find out that she slit both of her wrists.

I've never had a friend attempt or commit suicide so I don't know what to do or tell her once she's released from the hospital. I'm upset that she would think that she won't be able to go on without him, they were only together for a year.

2. Damn. Hopefully she'll survive and realize what she almost did.

3. I'm so sorry man. The relationship seemed unhealthy anyway, I mean everyone knows the guy doesn't care about her drinking on a school night, he was probably jealous she was out at a bar with another guy, i mean he is obviously insecure and he masks it with other stuff and acts like he is always wronged.

I know cause i did it, still sometimes do but i try my very best to cut it short :/

Visit her when you can, just keep it together my friend, she'll need it.

Best of luck, PM me if you need any help.

4. Thanks :) I should note that I'm a girl though. But it's alright.

5. sympathy given.

6. It still applies though, he might've been thinking "Why aren't i cool enough to be with her at a bar?" or "why doesn't she go out to bars with me!" or something like that, and since with guys its not cool to approach feelings in a logical way, he just got mad about it, and convinced himself that was the only thing going on.

insecurity is a bum rap.

7. Ill pray for her man

8. Sounds like she has some problems.

9. True, this isn't the first time he's spazzed out on trivial things.

10. Holy shit he is one controlling motherfucker she can drink whenever the hell she wants. Just be there for your friend try to help her out or try to get them back together. Maybe beat the shit out of her boyfriend cause no one would say that to one of my homies without me getting really pissed.

11. [quote name='"LHiver"']

Thanks :) I should note that I'm a girl though. But it's alright.[/quote]

Sorry i didn't know you're a girl so maybe don't beat the shit out of him haha just be there for your friend.

12. I just don't want to say the wrong thing or come off insensitive. Because in all honesty I want to ask her "What the f*ck is your problem?" and give her a good shake. So I'm trying to find a ground level of empathy. I want to stress to her that there's people that care about her and he's not everything.

13. the girl sounds messed up needs some counseling for sure because thats not very normal like to me she needs to move on and quit thinking about the past.

14. 1) How old are these people? 2) How long have they even been going out?

15. ex bf is an asshole, she clearly had some mental health issues as mentally healthy people dont attempt suicide b/c of a break up.

16. ...I've never understood how people 'attempt sucide'....it's so easy to accomplish.
    ...I vote she has mental health issues, possibly due to the way her parents brought her up.....

17. Damn, hope she gets better.

My favorite part was how you were at the bar because of parent teacher conferences tomoz. Canada, Ey?

18. [quote name='"trichome fiend"']...I've never understood how people 'attempt sucide'....it's so easy to accomplish.
    ...I vote she has mental health issues, possibly due to the way her parents brought her up.....[/quote]

Lol.... i beg to differ. The amount of failed suicide attempts is a pretty good indicator that killing yourself is NOT easy. Physical aspects maybe, but not the mental and emotional aspects of it.

19. ...interesting, I've always figured someone's failed attempt to suicide was actally a guarantee way to get attention.....it's so easy to blow your brains out, or to jump off of a bridge, take a bottle of pills, exc....making a couple cuts on your wrist isn't even close to how people kill people, why would you try that method? ....humans are not hard to kill, we are as soft as butter compared to some of the other animals.

20. [quote name='"trichome fiend"']

...interesting, I've always figured someone's failed attempt to suicide was actally a guarantee way to get attention.....it's so easy to blow your brains out, or to jump off of a bridge, take a bottle of pills, exc....making a couple cuts on your wrist isn't even close to how people kill people, why would you try that method? ....humans are not hard to kill, we are as soft as butter compared to some of the other animals.[/quote]

This is true. It's hard to distinguish between a truly failed suicide attempt and just doing it for attention. Which never made sense to me lol. Why does someone wanna be known "the suicidal" ? Wrong kind of attention if you ask me.