Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

One Hitters of the 60s/70s

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by OldSchoolStoner3, Jan 18, 2019.

1. I’m going to get a dugout and one hitter soon, but I have a few questions for all the old stoners. How long have the cigarette looking one hitters been around? As long as the brass bats? Just curious because all the old school stuff is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  2. #2 Joker1121, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Hope you're enjoying the forum, welcome. Good, fun question.I started smoking in 1968 junior in HS, 10th grade. It was mostly joints where I came from. I got to be excellent at using one zigzag rolling paper.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I don't remember one hitters, maybe because there wasn't much one hit pot going around.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Can't say for sure how long the cigarette style one hitter bats have existed. I can say without a doubt that they existed when I started toking in the early 90's. Though I suspect they were around much longer than that. Likely at least the 70's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I used the dugout 1 hitters for a while. Make sure to get the quartz one, not the metallic one, they are nasty. Actually, they are both nasty but to each their own.

6. 1970’s

• Like Like x 1
  7. We used bamboo chilliums in the 60’s. Usually everyone packed it as a one hitter. Cigarette looking one just came about in the late 90’s.

8. From Wikipedia: A chillum, or chilam, is a straight conical pipe with end-to-end channel, traditionally made of clay and used since at least the eighteenth century by Hindu monks, known as sadhus in India. It was invented in India. The culture of chillum-smoking has spread from India to the rest of the world since the mid-1960s.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I had a dugout in the early 80's.
    Not sure what year.

I have a hash pipe I was given in 1972, still friends with the woman who gave it to me. I may package it in a box and leave it to her daughter in my will.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Back in the early 80's my friends and I used to think we were cool and sneaky by smoking the cigarette looking pipes. Pretty sure they weren't new back then.

11. Bought my 1st dugout at a flea market in jersey, maybe 81'-82'. Still have it but use it for ground since I only vape now. Have another with butterfly top that guests are more than welcome too.

12. I just hit a glass one hitter. Only bought it for the dabs tbh, but works fine with da bud too

13. Joined a frat in '73 , and never saw or heard of a "one hitter" , and we usually only had access to brickweed and seldom could afford concentrates (and they were harder to find in Salt Lake City anyway). Joints were much more discreet than bongs and such, and pipes were just never seen.

14. I’m 64, started smoking in the late 1960s and I always remember those being around. I have a friend who has been using one for years. I’m going to have ask him how long he’s had it.

15. We used to make them out of toilet paper rolls as kids.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. one-hitters3.jpg

I now own 3 of the cigarette one-hitters however like many from our counterculture generation, only smoked joints for a long time because paraphernalia was illegal and many got busted because of it. Thus one did not want to be putting anything solid that could not be tossed or easily swallowed in one's pockets or cars.

As an occasional smoker that dislikes tolerance build up, I don't need to smoke as much as daily consumers so one-hitters are fine as long as I'm in no hurry. Outdoors in the city I prefer a really small pocket pipe and these one hitters are as small as they get plus look like cigarettes so are useful on the sly in public. The worst thing about carrying any pipe around in a pocket is the strong smell. One can easily cure that by buying a cheap package of small water balloons and then covering the pipe ends per above. The balloon open end diameter is perfect for easily slipping on or off.

• Like Like x 3