On this day in music history...........

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by IMMothership, Jun 1, 2004.

1. June 15,

1999 "No Boundaries," a compilation album created for the benefit of the refugees of Kosovo, is released by Epic Records. The 16-track set features rare, live and previously unreleased special versions of songs by an array of musicians, including Pearl Jam, Alanis Morissette, Neil Young, Rage Against the Machine, Oasis, Korn, and others.

1977 Alice Cooper's boa constrictor, a mainstay of his stage act, dies after being bitten by a rat.

1965 Elvis Presley film ``Tickle Me'' premieres.

1941 Singer Nilsson (Harry Edward Nelson III) is born in Brooklyn, N.Y. His biggest hit is the million-selling No. 1 single ``Without You.'' He scores the film ``Skidoo'' and the TV show ``The Courtship of Eddie's Father.''

2. oh the irony lol

dec 31 1978 the grateful dead perform one last time at the closing of winter land after not having played there for over 1500 days i believe. only cuz i bought the cd i knew this :p good music to fall asleep to.

and uh, may 25 some date way the fuck back when Paul Simon is born, and many years later on that same day i am born. :D

3. June 16,

1994 Kristen Pfaff is found dead in her bathtub with syringes and other suspected drug paraphernalia nearby. The 26-year-old was the bass player for Hole, the band of Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love.

1993 The U.S. Postal Service releases a set of seven stamps featuring rock and blues legends. The featured performers are Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Clyde McPhatter, Otis Redding, Ritchie Valens, Dinah Washington and Elvis Presley. A separate Presley stamp was also issued earlier in the year.

1982 Pretenders guitarist James Honeyman-Scott dies following a period of cocaine and heroin addiction.

1967 Canned Heat performs at the Monterey (Calif.) Pop Festival, leading to a contract with Liberty Records.

4. June 17,

1995 Rod Stewart sets an attendance record for Wembley Stadium with a concert crowd of 90,000. The 1985 Live Aid concert drew 72,000.

1972 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``The Candy Man,'' Sammy Davis Jr. The biggest pop hit of Davis' career, the song is featured in the film ``Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.''

1963 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Sukiyaki,'' Kyu Sakamoto. This is the only Japanese-language tune to top Billboard's pop chart.

5. June 18,

1998 Heart featuring Ann Wilson embarks on a U.S. in Chicago. Other tour stops include Detroit and Los Angeles.

1967 The Jimi Hendrix Experience makes its debut performance at the Monterey (Calif.) Pop Festival. The Hendrix album ``Electric Ladyland,'' released in 1968, tops Billboard's pop album chart for two weeks.

6. June 18,

1998 Sunny skies and a mellow vibe accompany the launch in Portland, Ore., of the second annual Lilith Fair. Special guest Sinead O'Connor opens the day with a handful of songs, stirring up the crowd with her usual polemics and "Jesus Is Coming - Look Busy" T-shirt.

1966 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Paperback Writer,'' The Beatles.

1902 Bandleader Guy Lombardo is born in London, Ontario. Lombardo and His Royal Canadians are the only dance band to sell more than 100 million records. He is most familiar to later audiences for his annual New Year's Eve broadcasts during which he played his theme, ``Auld Lang Syne.''

7. hehe, this is cool but i did a google search and some of that stuff was copied verbatum from music websites :p

8. But I haven't gone to any "music websites".....

9. June 19,

1965 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: "Mr. Tambourine Man," The Byrds.

1953 Cyndi Lauper is born in New York City. Her first single, "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," sells more than 2 million copies and reaches No. 2 on Billboard's Hot 100. Two later releases, "Time After Time" and "True Colors" top the chart.

1942 Brian Wilson is born in Ingleside, Calif. He is the leader, bassist, composer and producer of the surf-rock group the Beach Boys. He quits touring due to nervous exhaustion in 1965. His daughters, Carnie and Wendy, make up two-thirds of the trio Wilson Phillips.

10. he said verbatum... you can be honest with us.

11. I am being honest....I don't go to any music sites. And one would think then that the information I receive is true and correct.

12. June 20,

1998 Charlie Daniels wins the Harry Hap Peebles Lifetime Achievement Award, presented by the International Entertainment Buyers Association at the organization's annual conference in Nashville

1997 Arthur Prysock, a two-time Grammy-nominated rhythm and blues singer known for his deep, sultry voice on songs like "Teach Me Tonight," dies at the age of 74.

1948 Columbia Records announces mass production of 33-1/3 speed records.

13. June 22,

1948 Todd Rundgren is born in Upper Darby, Pa. He leads the groups Nazz and Utopia and produces albums for Meat Loaf, Badfinger, Grand Funk Railroad and XTC. His biggest solo hit is "Hello It's Me," which reaches No. 5 on Billboard's Hot 100 in 1973.

1947 Howard Kaylan (Howard Kaplan) of the Turtles is born in New York City. After the Turtles disband in 1970, he and bandmate Mark Volman join Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention and later form the duo Flo & Eddie.

1936 Singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson is born in Brownsville, Texas, the son of a minister. He attends Oxford University on a Rhodes Scholarship and receives a PhD from Pomona College in Texas. He writes several top 40 songs, including the No. 1 song "Me and Bobby McGee." His biggest solo hit is "Why Me," a million-selling record that reaches No. 16 on Billboard's Hot 100 in 1973.

14. June 23,

2000 Rapper, Ol' Dirty Bastard (Russel Tyrone Jones) is ordered into a 180-day drug treatment program. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge decides that treatment is a better option for Jones than imprisonment for probation violations.

1970 Chubby Checker is arrested after police in Niagara Falls discover marijuana and other drugs in his car.

15. June 24,

1999 Eric Clapton parts with 100 of his guitars and generates over $5 million for his Crossroads Centre at Antigua, and alcohol and drug-dependency treatment center in the West Indies. Among the stringed beauties auctioned off is "Brownie," a 1956 sunburst Fender upon which he recorded his hit "Layla"; the instrument goes for a record-breaking $497,500. The previous record holder was an axe of Jimi Hendrix's that went for $320,000.

16. June 25,

1998 Goth rock band Marilyn Manson is forced to miss its appearance at the Roskilde Festival in Denmark due to drummer Ginger Fish's bout with mononucleosis.

1969 Guitarist Mick Taylor makes his performance debut with the Rolling Stones in Rome. He replaces Brian Jones, who later drowns on July 3. Taylor leaves the group in 1975 and is replaced by Ron Wood.

1967 The Beatles' ``All You Need Is Love'' is recorded live during a British TV broadcast. (Marianne Faithfull sings in the chorus.)

17. June 26,

1998 Italian director Stefano Salvati sues Madonna, claiming that her "Ray of Light" video is stolen from a clip he shot in 1994 for local pop star Biagio Antonacci.

1977 Elvis Presley's final concert. Market Square Arena, Indianapolis.

1947 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Chi-Baba, Chi-Baba,'' Perry Como.

18. June 27,

1993 Singer Lyle Lovett marries actress Julia Roberts in Marion, Ind. They announce a divorce almost two years later. Lovett and Roberts met while filming the 1992 movie ``The Player.''

1971 The Fillmore East nightclub closes with performances by J. Geils Band, Beach Boys, Allman Brothers and Mountain.

1964 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``A World Without Love,'' Peter and Gordon. Paul McCartney and John Lennon write the song. It is the first time a McCartney-Lennon song tops the pop chart for a group other than the Beatles.

19. June 28,

1977 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ''Gonna Fly Now,'' Bill Conti.

1974 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ''Sundown,'' Gordon Lightfoot.

1964 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ''I Get Around,'' The Beach Boys.

1948 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ''Woody Wood-Pecker,'' Kay Kyser Orchestra. The song tops the Billboard singles chart for six weeks and sells more than 1 million copies.

20. June 29,

1991 Skid Row's ``Slave to the Grind'' debuts at No. 1 on Billboard's pop album chart.

1979 Guitarist and Little Feat founder Lowell George is found dead of a heart attack in a hotel room in Arlington, Va., at age 34. Little Feat's best selling album is ``Waiting for Columbus,'' which sells more than 500,000 copies and reaches No. 18 on Billboard's pop album chart.