On this day in music history...........

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by IMMothership, Jun 1, 2004.

1. 1969 During their noted ``bed-in'' at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, John Lennon and Yoko Ono record ``Give Peace a Chance'' with friends Tommy and Dick Smothers, Derek Taylor, Murray the K and Timothy Leary.

2. Okay how bout this one: June 2, 1967 The Beatles release the landmark album ``Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.'' The album tops Billboard's album chart for 15 weeks and features songs like ``With a Little Help from My Friends,'' ``Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'' and ``When I'm Sixty-Four.''

3. June 3, 1946 Bassist John Paul Jones (John Baldwin) of Led Zeppelin is born in Sidcup, England.

4. cool ...Sgt. Pepper's is a sweet album and zeppelin kick some ass too.....

5. Where do you get this stuff, babe? My memory is pretty well toast. I have to look that kinda' thing up. I usually go to All Music Guide for my facts. What/ where do you get yours. They're too damn accurate. If that's your memory, then my hats off to ya'. BluesMan

6. Mr. Bluesman...what can I say....It's just there! :)

Today's music history is just for you:

June 4, 1998 Ray Charles celebrates his 50th year in the music industry by performing with an all-star reunion band at the 15th annual Chicago Blues Festival in Grant Park. He is joined by David "Fathead" Newman, Hank Crawford, and Leroy "Hog" Cooper on saxes and Philip Guilbeau on trumpet. Mabel John, a former Raelett performs guest vocals.

7. Damn, girl, you're good. I looked it up. He was scheduled to play at 8:25pm! What, like you were there? How was the rest of that gig. Inquiring stoners wanna know! Keep up the good work. I'm diggin' it. BluesMan

8. June 5th

1984 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Time After Time,'' Cyndi Lauper.

1980 The Grateful Dead celebrates its 15th anniversary with a concert in Phoenix, Ariz.

1971 Grand Funk Railroad sells out New York's Shea Stadium within 72 hours, breaking the Beatles' box office record there.

1956 Elvis Presley performs ``Hound Dog'' on TV's ``Milton Berle Show,'' resulting in protests by some viewers.

9. June 6,

2000 Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood checks himself into rehab in London. Wood, who is accompanied by his wife, is admitted to the Priory Clinic in an effort to overcome his addiction to alcohol before the Rolling Stones launch another world tour.

1995 Pink Floyd releases its two-CD live album, ``Pulse.''

1966 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Paint It Black,'' The Rolling Stones.

10. June 7,

1979 Chuck Berry performs at the White House at President Carter's request. Little more than one month later he is sentenced to four months in jail for income tax evasion.

1970 The Who performs its rock opera, ``Tommy,'' at New York's Metropolitan Opera House.

1969 Blind Faith makes its live debut in a London park. 150,000 people attend the free performance.

1969 Johnny Cash debuts his own network variety show on CBS-TV.

11. June 8,

2000 Eminem pleads not guilty to weapons charges in Royal Oak, Mich. The rapper is accused of pulling an unloaded gun in the midst of an argument with Douglas Dail, identified as an associate of the group Insane Clown Posse, outside a car stereo store in the Detroit suburb.

2000 Sony Music U.K. launches its first free Internet download of a complete song. Irish singer/songwriter Paddy Casey's "Whatever Gets You True" is available as a download in the Windows Media format for one month at www.paddycasey.com.

1970 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Long and Winding Road,'' The Beatles.

1966 The Elvis Presley film ``Paradise Hawaiian Style'' premieres.

12. June 9,

1970 Bob Dylan is awarded an honorary degree in music from Princeton University.

1967 Everett Dean Felber, bassist for Hootie & The Blowfish, is born in Bethesda, Md.

1963 Johnny Depp is born in Owensboro, Ken. Depp, a high school dropout, begins his performance career by being a floating member of numerous garage bands. His band the Kids opened for Iggy Pop. Depp is a permanent member of the group P that also includes former Sex Pistol Steve Jones and Red Hot Chili Peppers' bassist Flea.

1934 Blues guitarist Wild Jimmy Spruill is born.

13. Well, babe, you got me again. I looked it up, too. I thought maybe you were confusing Johnny Depp with Johnny Rotten. But then I was never a fan of Punk Rock. Keep up the fine facts. At least one of us is payin' attention. BluesMan.

14. Today is also Les Paul's birthday. :)

15. Alright, happy birthday to Les Paul....puff, puff, pass.....

16. June 10,

1998 Record companies win a victory on the House floor as lawmakers agree to a measure that would prevent recording artists from filing for bankruptcy in order to void record contracts.

1975 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Sister Golden Hair,'' America.

1910 Bluesman Howlin' Wolf (Chester Arthur Burnett) is born in West Point, Miss. Four of his singles make the top 10 on Billboard's R&B chart. He dies of cancer in 1976.

17. June 11,

1998 Stone Temple Pilots lead Scott Weiland skips a scheduled Superior Court date in Los Angeles and checks himself into a drug treatment facility. The court date stems from charges filed in the beginning of the year for possession of heroin.

1978 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Shadow Dancing,'' Andy Gibb.

1965 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Back in My Arms Again,'' The Supremes.

1942 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Tangerine,'' Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra.

18. June 12,

1994 Bandleader Cab Calloway suffers a stroke at his Westchester, N.Y., home. The 86-year-old is later moved to a nursing home and dies Nov. 18.

1988 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Together Forever,'' Rick Astley.

1977 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Dreams,'' Fleetwood Mac.

1965 All four of the Beatles are named to receive MBE's in Queen Elizabeth's Birthday Honors List.

1943 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: ``Taking a Chance on Love,'' Benny Goodman Orchestra. Steve Allen portrays the King of Swing in the 1955 film ``The Benny Goodman Story.''

19. June 13,

1998 Lightning strikes more than twice at the Tibetan Freedom Concert in Washington - to disastrous effect. Numerous people in the huge crowd are injured and the multi-act show is halted as heavy rain pours down on RFK Stadium. A 25-year-old woman is the most seriously injured from the lightning strikes.

1995 Country star Ty Herndon is arrested by an undercover cop on a charge of drug possession - 90 minutes before he is to perform at a Texas police convention. He pleads guilty.

1986 Big band leader Benny Goodman dies of a heart attack at the age of 77.

1975 John Lennon makes his last TV appearance to sing ''Imagine.'' He retires soon after to become a househusband and raise his son Sean.

20. June 14,

1994 Composer Henry Mancini dies of complications from liver and pancreatic cancer in his Beverly Hills, Calif., home. He wrote '''Moon River,'' ''Days of Wine and Roses'' and ''The Pink Panther Theme.'' He won four Oscars and 20 Grammy Awards, including the first best album Grammy for the 1958 ''The Music from Peter Gunn.'' His biggest hit was the million-selling No. 1 single ''Love Theme from Romeo & Juliet.''

1980 The movie ''Roadie,'' starring Meat Loaf, debuts. The soundtrack also features Blondie's Deborah Harry, Pat Benatar, Cheap Trick, Joe Ely, Alice Cooper, Styx, Teddy Pendergrass, Roy Orbison and Emmylou Harris, Jerry Lee Lewis and Asleep At the Wheel.

1969 Mick Taylor is introduced to the media as the new guitarist in the Rolling Stones during a photo call in London's Hyde Park. He replaces Brian Jones.

Grasscity Deals Near You