On the quiet, the US is legalising marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Superjoint, Nov 3, 2009.

1. #1 Superjoint, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
    From The Sunday Times
    November 1, 2009

Andrew Sullivan

The humble joint can save lives. We look forward to the end of senseless prohibition

[​IMG]

You know things are shifting in America when Fortune magazine, the bible for business journalism, runs a cover story titled “Is pot already legal?”. You also know it when Barack Obama’s Department of Justice publishes a long-expected memo signalling that the federal government will no longer raid medical marijuana dispensaries if they are legal under state law. That happened formally this month.

It was not, moreover, a symbolic gesture. Marijuana for medical reasons — to tackle chemotherapy-induced nausea or Aids-related wasting or glaucoma, among other conditions — is now legal in 13 states, including the biggest, California. Next year, 13 more states are planning referendums or new laws following suit. Last week a California legislative committee held the first hearings not simply on whether medical marijuana should remain legal, but on whether all marijuana should be decriminalised, full stop. The incentive? The vast amounts of money the bankrupt state could raise by taxing cannabis.

Now look at the polling on the question. In 1970, 84% of Americans supported keeping marijuana illegal. Today, that number has collapsed to 54%. The proportion believing that marijuana should be legal has gone from 18% at the end of the 1960s to 44% today. On current trends, a majority of Americans will favour legalisation by the end of Obama’s first term. In the western states, 53% already favour legalising and taxing the stuff. Support for legalisation is strongest among the young — the Obama generation — but has climbed among self-described Republicans as well.

But the reality is already ahead of the polls. Take a trip, so to speak, to Los Angeles today, where one would be forgiven for thinking that marijuana was already legal. There are more than 800 marijuana dispensaries in the city — and an estimated 7,000 in the state of California as a whole (many times more than in Holland).

Getting a doctor’s recommendation for marijuana is easier than getting health insurance — just look at the ads in the papers, where a consultation costs about $200. The dispensaries range from the dime store to elaborate palaces of capitalist taste. Seminars are held for entrepreneurs who want to start a business selling medical cannabis. On display are sophisticated strains that can provide exquisitely tailored effects: some best for countering nausea, some for building appetite, others for going to sleep, others for staying alert or for watching movies or for general relaxation.

The concentration of THC, the active compound, is much higher than in the past. But since no one has ever overdosed on marijuana, it’s difficult to say why that matters. Yes, if someone has a history of mental illness, it’s not that smart to experiment with the cannabinoid receptors in the brain. But it isn’t smart for such people to take any drugs — or too much alcohol — for that matter. For most people, stronger pot merely translates into a need for less of it to get the same effect. Too much and you’ll likely nod off — and wake up later with no hangover. If pubs served pot rather than beer, crime rates would plummet.

Americans, for whom the use of marijuana is almost a rite of passage in most colleges, know all this. And at some point they stopped pretending otherwise. The past three presidents smoked marijuana in their earlier days, even if only one has openly written about it. (Obama, when asked the Clinton question — if he had inhaled — responded: “I thought that was the point.”) In an online press conference with his younger supporters, the first question was about whether legalising and taxing pot would be a good thing to help raise revenues. Obama laughed it off. With an annual deficit of more than a trillion dollars, he may not be able to laugh it off much longer.

The key to the shift has been the emphasis on marijuana’s medical properties. Human beings have used marijuana as medicine for millennia. It was once sold in the States by Eli Lilly, the pharmaceutical manufacturer. Allowing this compassionate use for a few soon revealed, accidentally, how harmless it is. It is not chemically addictive, although some mild withdrawal can happen if you are a regular pot-smoker and go cold turkey. Its side-effects are minimal compared with those of most authorised drugs for similar conditions. It is far less addictive than tobacco or alcohol. It leads to no measurable degree of antisocial behaviour, as is the case with, say, crystal meth or cocaine or heroin. Many of its users are successful, productive members of society who simply prefer it to alcohol as a relaxant in the evening or as a way to get through cancer treatment.

Denying Aids patients a tool to stay alive tips the balance. I have one friend who would never have been able to tolerate the medications that saved his life without it. That’s pretty persuasive stuff and lots of people have similar first-hand experiences. A gateway drug? Yes, many users of hard drugs smoked pot in the first place. But almost all started out with alcohol as well — and that is not illegal.

Of course, nothing is inevitable. The police still police it and hundreds of thousands of Americans — disproportionately black and poor — are in jail for it. Los Angeles’s failure to regulate adequately its hundreds of dispensaries may lead to connections with organised crime that could come back to delegitimise the whole thing.

I give it a couple of years to become a non-issue or to go into reverse. And my bet is that in a decade’s time, the banning of cannabis will seem as strange as the banning of alcohol. In the end, unnecessary prohibition undermines itself. And this time around, there are millions of cancer and HIV patients who are on the side of legalising and some truly desperate branches of government looking to see what they can tax next. In fact, I’ll go further: sooner rather than later, marijuana may be more acceptable than tobacco.

The need for taboos is eternal. But the object of the taboo is always shifting. The age of tobacco may be ending; and the millennium of marijuana may be about to begin.

2. Fuckin' beautiful, SJ. Thankyou :)

3. Amazing article. Times are a changin! We need more aticles like this and more mainstream coverage, with the help of televison news legalisation will almost be a reality.

4. awsome post man:hello::smoking:!! Times are indeed a changin. I say everyone on gc marchs to DC and everyone lights up a fatty while protesting for decriminilization :D

5. I wish the big news organizations would cover this stuff more. It's only a matter of time now though...

6. Awesome post SJ :D

7. Please tell me that was an article somewhere. That was an awesomely written post if not and should be published somewhere. Accurate and simple enough for the average American to read and understand.

Again well done man

8. This gives me hope...and this is why I love this site!

I learn more here, than I would watching the news 24/7...

:gc_rocks:

9. Yes, I learn so much here, lol. It's like a news station, hahaha.

This is a very good article. LOL, people are so stubborn. Just do it already!

10. Who wrote this?

-mu

11. that was a good read! nice find OP,thanks for sharing

12. Nice find SJ, really interesting read.

13. An amazing read!
    For quite some time I've just plain been disheartened by the stream of bad news, the opposition...its enough to wear someone down to the point that all you can do is say "I alone cant help it"
    you soon realize you are one of the many drops of water pushing down stream but sometimes you feel as if you've lost your way, and you're unsure of whether or not you want to see the end of the river.

14. Prohibition is rapidly losing support in the US and the trend will continue – at least in regards to marijuana – because people are being educated. If alcohol was illegal instead of weed I doubt we'd have this big of a pro-alcohol movement going on. In fact, I would be willing to bet it would be demonized as much as cocaine and heroin. ;)

Keep going and we will win. California 2010 is the first major battleground and whether or not we get past it we will win within the 2010's I believe.

15. Forbes ftw. I saw Forbes in an interview frontin on the Fed too, that was pro.

16. #17 prez420, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
    I do think the government is legalizing cannabis in a round about way. I think they are doing it this way because they don't trust cannabis legalization will work in the long term and want to keep the ability to put the clamp back down of cannabis without dirtying their hands. The worst thing we can do now is make the same mistake the hippies made and try to rise up against the government because the gov will just spin it around and blame cannabis like they did back then. The last thing we need is the soccer moms and people of the like to grow fearful of cannabis because of gangs of potheads gathering up in large numbers talking about overthrowing the gov. People need to feel that cannabis is safe for society the only reason nixon and his cronies was able to drop the hammer down on cannabis like they did was because the hippies were scary to people that loved the American way of life and the gov was able to convince the people that cannabis was causing the hippies to act the way they did. That was very believable to the people of America because the whole time the hippies were talking about overthrowing the government they had joints in their hands and nixon and his cronies pointed that out every chance they got.

That doesnt mean we should sit down and forget about the issue because we have come so far it would be a waste to to put down the proverbial sword now because we are so close to our goal. Now is the time for us to push harder than we have ever pushed before to finally show the world that cannabis is harmless and its prohibition was wrong from the start. So tell everyone you know the facts about cannabis. There are still alot of misconceptions out there about cannabis we need to show those people that much of what they believe about cannabis is little more than lies the propaganda machine of the anti-pot people came up with and it hold no truth. The biggest one I come across is "Pot is addictive" every time i hear some one tell me this i cant help but laugh to myself on the inside because of all the proof i have seen that shows it to be less addictive than just about every other substance, but then my sense of logic kicks in and i realize maybe these people just haven't seen/heard about all the studies etc... So i tell them about the studies and i tell them the truth that its only addictive mentally the same way tv, video games, food, and internet are. There has even been a couple times i have taken a TB for a couple weeks to prove to family members that cannabis isnt physically addictive ofc i started smoking again after a couple weeks and when they say ha see i knew you couldn't leave it alone i ask them why i should deprive myself of something I enjoy when it does me or no one around me any harm. I then go on to say that its like telling someone not to eat pie simply because they like pie (that one usually hits home because who doesn't love pie). The truth will set cannabis free all we have to do is spread it.

17. No alcohol is pretty embedded in western culture. Alcohol was illegal but people got pissed. Weed was always foreign to us, something that pagans or exotics did. It is tabooed, whereas alcohol is the all American way to get fucked up.

18. Fixed! :D

19. when we grow older were gonna be tellin people about how stoned this decade was.