Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

on T break, is melatonin really safe?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by smoke4life, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Im on a t-break right now and this is the third day and i dont want to keep taking tylenolPM, so i decided to look up on melatonin, ive heard melatonin can cause unsafe drops in blood pressure and natural melatonin secreted from animals can be contaminated with a virus.

Anyone know more about this?

thanx!

2. norcalstoner- thats the same drug. hes been taking diphenhydramine and wants something else. yes, take melatonin, it makes me ass out so fast when i take it with diphenhydramine. (takes me 2 hours+ to fall asleep on a regular night)

3. its safe, very safe actually its a natural herb. i take one every night before i go to bed.

4. i always use melatonin when i dont smoke. it doesnt put you to sleep like weed but it does the trick. I also use it even when im high cause I think it helps give you a better quality of sleep cause you dream more

5. I used melatonin as a sleep aid for about six months until it stopped being as effective.
    The first couple of times I used it I found myself waking up pretty often during the night, but I would fall right back to sleep and feel refreshed in the morning. After this initial period, it seemed great, anywhere from 10-15 minutes after taking my nightly 300 microgram dose I would feel drowsy and relaxed and could fall asleep basically as soon as I layed down in my bed.

I also noticed that if I smoked after dosing that it would enhance the high GREATLY. I would pop my pill, wait a while, smoke a bowl, then lay in bed floating through space enjoying closed eye visuals (something that often happens when I am really really stoned). And a lot of the time the high would just keep getting more and more intense as I layed there until I passed out.

After a while I began to up my dosage and found that I would often feel groggy in the morning. Then slowly I began to notice that I was often having trouble understanding what people were saying and would have to ask people to repeat things several times before I could hear the words. For a while I didn't think anything of this, then when it started to become worse and I became socially withdrawn, this is when I finally realized it might have something to do with the melatonin. So I stopped using it, the next couple of weeks were absolute hell trying to fall asleep, but after just a few days I found that people's voices were making sense and I became more socially outgoing.

Since then I have used melatonin a couple of times, and it still isn't nearly as effective at helping me sleep or enhancing weed as it used to be.

So in conclusion, I would say that it is safe for OCCASIONAL use, just don't start taking it every night for more than a week or so at a time.

6. yea its safe. Is it just me or do you dream every night and have some random ass dreams when using it?

7. yup, its quite safe. melatonins are the shit...:)

8. Melatonin for me, just gave me crazy sleep paralysis. Every fucking day that would happen.

I'll stick with good ole' THC. ;)

9. I am an Herbalist and just wanted to add a little factual information here...
    1.) Melatonin is not an herb, it's a naturally occurring chemical found in the brains of all mamals. Melatonin is produced in the pineal gland and acts as an endocrine hormone, so it would be more accurate to call it a hormone than an herb.
    2.) Melatonin is a powerful anti-oxidant that is a direct scavenger of OH, O2, NO, and many other harmful free radicals. It's good for smokers because it has been demonstrated to prevent the damage to DNA by carcinogens, stopping the mechanism by which they cause cancer.
    3.) Studies have shown Melatonin helps build a healthy immune system and might be useful fighting infectious disease, however, the increased immune system activity may aggravate autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis. The same can be said of Echinachea taken in pill form or as tea.
    4.) Many Melatonin users have reported an increase in the vividness or frequency of dreams. This is normal and usually decreases once a person has been using Melatonin nightly for a few weeks.
    5.) Melatonin studies show an increase in learning and memory with regular use as melatonin can alter electrophysiological processes associated with memory. So taken in regular doses (1.5 to 3 mg.) it can increase memory, which is something most smokers would benefit from.
    6.) Because of concerns of transmission of viruses through melatonin derived from animal sources melatonin derived from cow or sheep pineal glands should not be administered. It's safer, and usually cheaper, to use synthysized Melatonin supplements.
    7.) Melatonin DOES NOT raise blood pressure. If anything, it lowers it, so anyone with low blood pressure or a weak heart beat should consult their Doctor before using Melatonin.
    8.) MOST IMPORTANTLY, ingesting high doses of melatonin may cause some unwanted side effects; at more than 3 mg/day: hormone fluctuations, irritability, increased sleep disturbances including vivid nightmares, and sleep walking.
    As with anything you decide to put in your body, do your research BEFORE using it so that you know you are using the proper dosage.
    Hope this helps. :smoking:

10. Ive used melatonin 3mg this week and will for the next few days. I have about 3 different dreams that are normally about what is on my mind alot during the day. I think i have a low blood pressure disorder because when i get out of bed in the morning or stand up real fast i nrealy black out, so i guess ill have to be careful when using it

11. wow!! a lot of useful information there, thanx! I just picked up this melatonin called "MidNite" do you have any knowledge of weather this is synthetic or natural?

:smoke:

12. #2 just made me feel better lol

13. instead of writing a bunch of facts, ill speak from experience. it works! it gives you some strange dreams usually, but nothing bad. its much easier to wake up after taking melatonin vs. tylenol pm. i took melatonin for 3 months when i was on a break, and it worked perfectly with no ill effects.

14. ok im gonna stop using melatonin...every single night I have horrible weird dreams, and although I get to sleep fast, I wake up way too dam early. screw it/ just my experience though

15. I have never heard of a brand of melatonin called "MidNite". If you bought it at a store, it should tell you on the bottle all the really important stuff to know like how strong it is and whether or not it's derived from animal compounds or not. Like I said, stay away from the stuff derived from animal compounds! You don't want to get 'mad cow disease' or some shit! Good luck and enjoy!

16. Sorry to bore you with 'facts' Cork, but it's always best to learn the facts before taking something. I know plenty of good people who are currently 6 feet under because they didn't think it was important to know the facts before using themselves as a drug testing guinea pig. Remember when Ecstasy first came out and people were ODing and shit because they took it without knowing anything about it?
    I try to help because I don't want that to happen to anyone else, that's all.

17. melatonin doesnt do a damn thing for me. at all. shit even temazepam (benzo sleep aid) doesnt do shit and thats a lot stronger than melatonin. i just have fucked up insomnia. i need something really strong to put me out like lorazepam. seroquel does the trick too but that shit is fucked up, i dont like anti-psychotics.

18. Insomnia can be caused by a lot of different factors. The first thing you should do is figure out what is causing your insomnia. Once you know that you'll be much better able to treat it.

Here's an example of what I mean...My father-in-law was always complaining about having insomnia. I got so tired of listening to him bitch about it, one day I asked him a simple question, "Why aren't you able to fall asleep"? After spending half an hour trying to get him to tell me the truth, turns out he had a groin hernia that was so painful he couldn't sleep. He didn't need melatonin or any other sleep aid. He needed a fucking operation! He's just one of those really tough old fuckers who don't like to go to the doctor, so he was putting it off. Me and the rest of the family got on his ass about it, and eventually he had the surgery. Once the post surgery pain was gone, he started sleeping like a fucking baby. Snores so loud my mother-in-law had to start sleeping in the guest room! LOL!

Here are some common reasons people have insomnia:

1.) Maybe you're not tired. I've seen people get up late in the morning or afternoon, do nothing all day (a shout out to my brother-in-law Ray on this, we call him 'the turtle"!), and then wonder why they can't sleep that night. It's simple; you need to be awake long enough, and do enough physical activity for your body to require sleep. If it's been less than 12 hours since the last time you were asleep, your body probably doesn't require sleep right now, so you just lay there thinking, "Shit, I have insomnia." when the truth is your body just isn't tired. This is especially true of anyone who didn't have much physical activity that day. Nothing makes the body want to shut down and rest like physical activity. Hard work and/or daily exercise are the best sleep aids I've ever found.

2.) Ingesting stimulants such as caffeine, sugar, etc. too close to bed time. A lot of people just don't realize how much caffeine and sugar and shit is in soda, ice cream, chocolate, etc. After I get stoned in the evening, nothing tastes better than a big ass bowl of ice cream! But if I eat it within 3 hours of the time I plan to go to sleep, it keeps me awake even though I don't feel stimulated.

3.) High tolerance to sedatives in general. Years ago I use to eat downers like tic tacs. I went to the dentist once for a root canal, and after 4 shots of Novocaine, I still felt the whole procedure! My dentist was cool, so I told him about the downers. He said taking any kind of sedative, pain killers, etc. regularly makes you build up a wicked tolerance after a while. Melatonin probably won't work for anyone who regularly uses any kind of sedative or pain killers.

If none of the above applies to you, maybe you do have a legit case of insomnia. But if that's so, Melatonin should work since it's the primary chemical in your brain that makes you fall asleep in the first place.

Just trying to help,

- SkunkApe

19. if you dont want to take melatonin you could try Valerian if you can find the supplement. i used to take that and it worked so well.