on/off/on/off light cycle question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xplar, May 16, 2012.

1. I'm going away in a few weeks so I am automating my grow a bit more. I have a small light leak that I don't worry about usually but I wont be home so someone might sneak around the room and may notice the light. I want to turn my light off for 1 hour in the morning and 4-6 hours in the evening when people may be around. Will that type of light cycle kill or do anything noticeably negative to my plants? They are currently on 24 hour light.

2. Messing with a plants light cycle is a good way to make it hermie. Just lock your room up so no one can enter it.

3. That's what I was afraid of :( I guess I should just fix the light leak. It's going to cost me about $60 to do it properly but it's gotta get fixed eventually. Thanks for the info.

4. Theres also some little tricks you can do to see if someone has entered your room while gone. Like a small piece of clear tape along the edge of the door and frame on the outside, clear tape and light colored thread and if the thread is seperated from the door or floor then you know your door was opend.

5. I saw that trick in a James Bond movie, he used a hair across the door I think. I have a motion detector in the room and one in the box itself. I have almost everything automated and logged using an Arduino.

6. that's pretty cool man, does the motion detector turn on a camera or alert your phone?

7. Currently it just logs it to a file and sends me an email when it triggers. I have one sensor at the door to the room so if anyone comes in it turns off my fans and air pump for 5 mins so there is no noise. You can buy a sim card module and have it txt you when it triggers but the email works fine too.