On Delay Timer aka Hot Start delay

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Thubabri, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Was minding the growroom when the lights flicked out then tried to restart. Lots of buzzing and the sort so I unpluged the ballast to let the light cool. My question is, since the delay timers run about 70 bucks could I make one cheaper?

Well I found this item on ebay ICM Controls

My question is to those who have a working knowledge of these types of products, could I wire this into my light controller. I don't see a problem but maybe you do!
    Again I have a lighting controller so this will be wired to the relay, not to the output/ballast.

It looks like I could pick one up for about 15 bucks shipped, so the price is right.
    Write back with your input, and maybe we can turn this into another valuable DIY

2. you'll ruin your ballast unplugging and plugging it in like that... its called a hot start or something... don't do that again, if you did

3. I just ordered the part will wire up and report on performance.

4. Well I got ahead of myself like I usually do and wired up the timer quickly to a light bulb to check it out. Figured a 23 watt cfl wouldn't overload the circuit. Don't know if it did but the time delay took place then the light bulb blinked on and off and that was it. Must of fried it. I tried using the multimeter and i think its junk. I found another style I'll see when I can afford to order that and try that one. Will keep reporting.

5. and ill keep reading

6. Bump?

I'm now looking at building one myself. I need to kill 20amps' worth of lighting. The problem I run into is the DOM timer's only good for 1.5amps, but the relays I need it to operate all have 3amp+ coils, which would fry the DOM (what happened with your CFL).

Do I need to run a smaller relay, to trigger the bigger relay?

-Bender