ominous text message

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by thatbakedbitch, Aug 1, 2012.

1. can't tell if I'm over reacting but I had this really great long distance sort of friend. he was incredible and I guess he liked me because he was hands down the sweetest boy I have ever talked to. but we were just friends or whatever and I was always occupied with someone else.

he took meds cus he was depressed and tried to kill himself a few times, though you definitely wouldn't believe it just talking to him.

anyways, I had a busy week and didn't contact him all week. last time I contacted him he told me he ran out of his meds and was being really sad about me/down on himself.

so I texted him today saying hey and I got a response hours later that said 'you must be looking for ____'...I can't tell if I should be worried. I tend to over exaggerate. I texted back twice and they didn't respond.

should I be worrying? I would fall to pieces if he hurt himself or something of the sort

2. p.s. he barely used Facebook but it says he was last active a few days ago.

3. I guess there's no way to know. Its really dumb to get connected to long distance friends, I did with some girl a month ago, and she only ended up playing dumb texting games and it got stupid. You end up getting feelings for some person who happens to be hundreds of miles away and it turns into a pointless cycle.

IMO just a complete waste of time and it's funner going out and meeting friends that way. Lots of fish in the sea right in your city.

4. I mean I have a handful of irl friends but that's completely and totally besides the point of this post

5. Thats cute lol. Try contacting some of his relatives or messaging him on facebook. Stay high my friend.

6. Oh, I thought I answered the question pretty clearly

there's no way to know, so why worry about it? I meant to say that overall, long distance friends= pointless...bit pathetic too.

Aka, no, you shouldn't worry. I mean all you did was text the guy, and even though its nice to develop feelings for the person behind the phone, no, you shouldn't put too much dice in worrying when they stop texting you.

But I hope he's alright. wouldnt lose sleep over it though..don't take that literally

7. [quote name='"eazey18"']

Thats cute lol. Try contacting some of his relatives or messaging him on facebook. Stay high my friend.[/quote]

but like I said, he barely uses facebook. like his profiles fuckin empty. I don't wanna go that crazy and find his relatives on there or anything :///

8. No need to worry yet. You could try calling instead of texting though...lol

9. #9 thatbakedbitch, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
    [quote name='"Prism Tino"']

Oh, I thought I answered the question pretty clearly

there's no way to know, so why worry about it? I meant to say that overall, long distance friends= pointless...bit pathetic too.

Aka, no, you shouldn't worry. I mean all you did was text the guy, and even though its nice to develop feelings for the person behind the phone, no, you shouldn't put too much dice in worrying when they stop texting you.[/quote]

this sounds like a really stupid point to make but we talked on the phone/Skyped a lot too.

regardless, I know it's stupid to care about someone I met online but alas, I do. I'm not asking if I should worry in that sense, because I already am, and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm asking, does this seem like a situation, with any friend, where one would worry?

ALSO, thats awesome that you think it's pathetic but I honestly don't care/understand how it is that different than an irl friend. we met on MySpace like 7 years ago.

10. #10 Prism Tino, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012

...you're asking if its normal to worry about somebody who is potentionally in danger?

Sure it is...obviously

but is it healthy to worry about somebody who is potentially a thousand miles away, potentionally not the person he showed himself to be, and potentially totally fine? And somebody who you have no way of contacting, or otherwise travelling to go see in person? and somebody you met online?

That is not healthy. Online friends are different than in-person friends just like phone sex is different than in-person sex. If I have to explain the details on that one, then it's no point for me to even type this post for it to make sense to you. I'd drop it and sleep safely until this dude contacts you back. If he doesn't, I suppose he isn't able to for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

I think it's pathetic not because you're worried about the dude, which shows you have nice empathy, but it's pathetic putting your dice into a bag that potentially has no bottom. You end up shooting yourself in the foot and wasting time for somebody who can vanish in a moment's notice (like he happened to do) without a way for you to GO to his house and check up on him. Like any normal friends do. You're trying to make connections through a fault. Which makes no sense in the long run

Worrying about that, which is essentially what you have no control over, is pretty pathetic to me. But not the fact you care about him. That's a good thing. I hope I made my points clear

11. [quote name='"PharCyDeD"']No need to worry yet. You could try calling instead of texting though...lol[/quote]

didn't wanna harass the person after 2 texts but I think I will call eventually

12. aww you're in love with him. caring about him and all that stuff.

13. bet hes still alive and just bullshittin you

14. whats with people saying you shouldn't care about someone you met online? people you meet online are just like people you would meet anywhere else? I don't really have any long distance friends but if I did and I thought he/she was in harm I would care.

15. [quote name='"cannabis1990"']whats with people saying you shouldn't care about someone you met online? people you meet online are just like people you would meet anywhere else? I don't really have any long distance friends but if I did and I thought he/she was in harm I would care.[/quote]

fuckin exactly. he's been there for me through any of the shit any of my friends in real life have been. I don't get what the difference is that he's not physically here for me.

16. Just be cool, occupy yourself. Must be stressful to not hear from an unstable friend, but theres no point in dwelling. youll find out whats up from him, or the newspaper, eventually

17. I had a similar situation, except that id recently had an argument with my long distance friend and then they wernt replying, or been on facebook recently.

I was getting a little worried so i rung off a withheld number to see if they would pick up.

18. [quote name='"Thewastedyouth"']

I had a similar situation, except that id recently had an argument with my long distance friend and then they wernt replying, or been on facebook recently.

I was getting a little worried so i rung off a withheld number to see if they would pick up.[/quote]

yeah I was considering that but felt like itd be obvious it was me and seem creepy idk

did your friend end up being okay?

19. Idk, something about long distance friends (especially random people who add you on social media sites *weird...*) makes me think the people in the friendship cant handle face to face interactions on a day-to-day basis. I've known a couple of people with distance friends, they were either overweight, insecure, creepy, or a combination of three. :p
    call me crazy but theres really no reason you should seek friends that live 2000 miles away, what's the point of that? all you can do is text back and forth. can't go to the beach with em, movies, out to eat, etc.

nothing you can do with an online friend that you can't do, and more, with a real one...

20. so what if it was obvious? wouldn't you want it to seem obvious that it was you? lmao

and no friendship should be creepy.

Unless it's an online friendship.

...oh