Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Older Tokers

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by wmassguy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hey buds,  66yo guy in western mass here.  I used to know a lot of people who liked to smoke, but the list of like-minded people has dwindled to almost nothing.  The few I know are not that reliable and not much fun to be with.  Always looking for new friends of any age.  Any help networking is much appreciated.

2. Welcome to GC :wave:  from a mature lady who enjoys the canna community ;)   

3. And my nickname is "Granny". I am 66, a regular here, and sort of the "school marm" at GC! lol.

And here is your first lesson!  :laughing:  May I strongly suggest that you start taking Omega 3, if you are not taking it already!  THC gets you high by activating CB1 receptors. Omega 3 is needed to "glue down" a part of the receptor, or as in a machine, a loose part means it is not going to work right, if at all! These dudes just were looking at the psychological effects, but the bodily effects are even worse!

(Where you see “n-3 PUFAs”, read Omega 3.)

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.    (abst – 2011)           http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21278728

The corollaries of the obesity epidemic that plagues developed societies are malnutrition and resulting biochemical imbalances. Low levels of essential n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFAs) have been linked to neuropsychiatric diseases, but the underlying synaptic alterations are mostly unknown. We found that lifelong n-3 PUFAs dietary insufficiency specifically ablates long-term synaptic depression mediated by endocannabinoids in the prelimbic prefrontal cortex and accumbens. In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins. Finally, the dietary-induced reduction of CB(1)R functions in mood-controlling structures was associated with impaired emotional behavior. These findings identify a plausible synaptic substrate for the behavioral alterations caused by the n-3 PUFAs deficiency that is often observed in western diets.

Translation for those who just lit one up  :smoking:  -

"The US diet sucks big time! We are fat, undernourished and crazy because of it. We get WAY too much Omega 6, and not enough Omega 3. Not getting enough Omega 3 can make you a bit crazy because without it, the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in your brain can be deformed or broken! Broken CB1 receptors were associated with "impaired emotional behavior". This study shows a reason why our low Omega 3 diet is making us sick and crazy!"  :cry:

Anyway, welcome to GC!   :gc_rocks:  There are a few others around who are not "spring chickens" any more- I expect they will wander in pretty soon! And if you ever need medical studies, or are just interested in the medical uses of cannabis, I have a collection of studies and articles that I give away for the asking. For a peek at an older version, just click that first link in my sig. If it interests you, send me an email (bottom of my sig), and I'll send you over 1000 pages of links all nicely sorted. :yay:

Granny

4. [​IMG]

I'm graybeard and I'm one of those, "few others around who are not "spring chickens" any more", I'm 68.

Granny's advice on Omega-3 is great BUT if you are taking blood thinners, at our age there is a good chance you do, it will increase the effect of the blood thinners.

"warfarin ? omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
    Applies to:warfarin and Fish Oil (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids)

MONITOR: Large doses of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (e.g., fish oil) may potentiate the hypoprothrombinemic effect of oral anticoagulants. The exact mechanism of interaction is unknown. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids may possess mild antiplatelet and hypocoagulant activities. In some studies, these substances have been shown to reduce thrombin generation and plasma levels of fibrinogen, prothrombin, and coagulation factors V, VII, and X. The interaction was suspected in a case report of a 67-year-old woman treated with warfarin for 1.5 years who exhibited an increase in INR from 2.8 the previous month to 4.3 approximately one week after doubling her fish oil dosage from 1000 to 2000 mg/day. Prior to the increase, her INR had been stable and therapeutic for 5 months while on warfarin 1.5 mg/day. The patient was advised to reduce her fish oil consumption to 1000 mg/day, while her warfarin dose was withheld for one day and then reduced to 1 mg alternating with 1.5 mg per day. Eight days later, her INR was subtherapeutic at 1.6, so the warfarin dosage was increased back to 1.5 mg/day. The patient's INR has been within therapeutic range since that time."

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/fish-oil-with-warfarin-1749-3873-2311-0.html

5. I am one of those spring chickens running around. Only 56, Welcome to the City. :smoke:

6. 54 on the 29th!

7. I'd scream "You young whipper snappers get off my grass". But I don't mind sharing. :smoke:

8. #8 inb4bud, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
    :eek: Never seen so many old people in a thread ( no offence )

Its hard to imagine, iv spent half of my life with the internet around, and as the years pass it gets better and better.

But for you guys, your minds must have been blown xD before all this facebook/twitter/snapchat/smartphone bs we have today :)

I honestly never knew the older generation used internet forums (except granny, she was one of the first members i noticed, i first thought she was in her 20's lol)

9. LOL, none taken.

Put it in perspective. 30 years ago, as a young adult i purchased my first computer, the C-64. Shortly after that I got my shiney (actually dull plastic) new 300baud modem. You could go make a sandwich while downloading that 10KB file from a BBS site.

I guess what I am trying to say is many of us were coming of age as all this new technology was entering our lives, work, reading materials, etc. Those just a bit older were the ones inventing it. :smoke:

10. I was born before mainstream internet use...does that make me old? Does anyone remember Heman?

11. I'm only 29.  i hope I'm puffin tough when I'm in my 60s.

though I'm still young i do know quit a bit of geezers.  i worked for all of them in nor cal.  crazy as hell but good people.

12. My father is 60 and has been toking since he was 13... he opened the first disp. in california in 96

13. #13 AlphaOmega420, Nov 7, 2013

I always hear how much stronger cannabis is today compared to say like 30 years ago, does this hold any merit?

Obviously just through genetics growing has gotten more advanced but has the top shelf from back then compare to now? Or was it just completely random?

14. [quote name="4 Four 2 Twenty 0" post="18947465" timestamp="1383809094"]My father is 60 and has been toking since he was 13... he opened the first disp. in california in 96[/quote

That's bad ass

15. #15 4 Four 2 Twenty 0, Nov 7, 2013

Yes weed was absolutely terrible up until the mid 80's my father and uncles have said.
    But there was this stuff called thai stick which was considered good then. but considered pretty bad now, and it was rare to get!

[​IMG]      Good weed before the mid eighties... <

16. hey there not an older toker but welcome to the community. 

17. That looks nothing like the Thia stick i would get in the 77 -  78 time frame. That's some bricked shit. The ones we got were individual sticks about the fatness of your index finger. A good one hit bowl would be pleasant for hours.

There was also some other great sativas from deep in Mexico, Jamacian, etc.

There was weed as good as some of the near top shelves of today. It just wasn't readily available to many folks. :smoke:

18. #18 4 Four 2 Twenty 0, Nov 7, 2013
    [member="ICGreen"]
    Just going off what my relatives tell me :)

19. Welcome! I am in my early 20's and finding bud for me is hard too... It's illegal where I live so that doesn't make it any better. If you have time on your hands, join NORML or any other organizations that help with its legalization.