Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Old school strains - Where are you??? Acapulco Gold, Pananma Red, Columbian...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by FreeMJ, Sep 28, 2009.

1. And that was after 30 years of degradation. Potency drops over the years as THC and some of the other good cannabinoids oxidize and otherwise degrade.

2. haha, well it served it's purpose, it got me and her really toasty.

3. That was my point ;)

They've found high measurable levels of THC in weed that was found in tombs that were thousands of years old.

Our weed is no more potent that that of previous years. Tomatoes aren't more tasty either; in fact the recent craze for 'heirloom tomatoes' should be a testament to the fact that modern commercial tomatoes were bred for high yield and good looks, just like most modern cannabis.

There's been 'bomb' weed for as long as we've had civilization. It's just a lot easier for people without the inclination to grow it to get now. Ah, the spoiled generation who thinks they have got it better when they don't.

4. haha, i comepltetly understand, i dont really care what kind of herb it is, if it does the job, it's grade A by me, unless it's laced or something horrible like that. i have some Sativa Seeds from Mexico that my dad got me, idk what they are, but the leafs on the one that i germinated are Skinnier than my pinky finger. they're beautiful :smoke:

5. Mexican sativas are very very potent. They only ship crap up here these days; I cherish my Oaxacan genetics that I got when I was down there. If you have good Mexican seeds you are blessed with a truly strong sativa. Hard to grow indoors; you'll need to LST it.

6. i'm growing it indoor under a 400watt MH, along with a Afghan Kush, i'd love to grow it outdoors next year, but idk if oklahoma light scheduals can do it? considering Most Land Race Sativas take a long time to finish flowering.

7. Yeah many take up to three months. It's hard to grow them alongside Indicas because of height problems too. Good luck.

Depending upon the specific genetics you might just get away with an outdoor Sativa grow if you get a late frost.

8. the frost this month is coming this weekend
    perhaps i might beable to pull it off if i Veg it early on indoors, so it's strong enough to survive the somewhat cold weather leading into the growing season.

and yeah, my Afghan shot up during flowering, but not nearly as much as this mystery Sativa did, i cant wait for it to fill in with bigger buds also, i topped it twice, so i have 4 long Tops coming from it. it used to be the runt (only like 5 inches at 1 1/2 month vegging) then topped it and it flourished.

9. You can hit your head on the wall and kill brain cells. I'm all pro-marijuana, but honestly, you are killing brain cells. You kill brain cells everyday. And smoking a shit ton more of weed isn't helping decrease the death of the cells.

10. This man speaks the truth lads. I'm older than him and can vouch for what he says. We had "3 hits & you were on your way to dream land" weed back then too. Yes it was hairy looking, so what. It had seeds too, ouch! I'm a bit fatigued reading posts from people who weren't there & thus have no fucking reference point, yet assert that somehow because the weed of old wasn't manicured (sometimes it was though), had seeds and was mostly imported it couldn't POSSIBLY be as good as it is now. Great weed was not as widely available as it is now, but I assure you it was there.

11. In case anyone, for some crazy reason, doubts this man:

2,700-year-old marijuana found in Chinese tomb - thestar.com

Haahhaha...

Lab Man 1: "This shit is smokin goooooood."
    Lab Man 2: "Sure is. Should we test it now?"
    Lab Man 1: "Nah fuck it."

12. Exactly, only so much THC and other cannabinoids can pass into your alveoli at a time through gas exchange, so at a cellular level, after about 7 seconds, your alveoli are at full capacity for holding anything that will get you high. At this point, it's pointless to hold your hits longer.

13. i still say the longer one holds a hit the more gas exchange...hence..the higher one gets

14. But once your alveoli are saturated no more gas exchange can occur, thus holding in the hit past that saturation point does nothing extra.

15. Exactly. It is fundamental biology.

16. Hey, you're BOTH right.
    I kind of stirred up this argument with my angry observations about a world gone to hell, so let me say , cool your jets, you two.

I'd heartily agree that smoking much less weed is better for every part of the body.

But so many strains of newer weed (as opposed to less cultivated stuff in the early 80s and before) simply yields a different high, with different side F/X, regardless of how much one smokes. (Now, that's ME, and a lot of others, but Everyone knows their own body and experience, and I really do believe those of you who say the high THC stuff feels good to you). Otherwise, why would you partake of it? Damn you, I WISH I could enjoy that stuff.
    I am also sad to say I think I'm gonna' give up my search for medicinal weed here in Colorado at least for a while.
    The reason is, I've come across more research that supports my experience that pot can ramp up pain, by blocking endocanabinoid receptors.
    Please look at this article:

Discovery That Active Ingredients In Marijuana Spread And Prolong Pain Has Implications For Medical Use Of Drug And Concepts Of Chronic Pain

This, a few other pain studies, my experience, and the annecdotal reports of many friends and posters, seems to confirm that weed may not be the medicine for me...at least not the weed I've been able to obtain.
    So Here I stand, ready to get my legal card. But I've spoken to about a dozen dispensary folk, and consulted two doctors directly. I really am not trying to be mean here, but I must say that the dispensary people (a lot of them) are liars, and pretty damn skeevy at that. They want money. They act like deaf dumb and blind monkeys when I ask the question (as if I didn't know the answer) "So, have you ever heard a patient complain of amplified pain (myalgias, arthralgias, whatever), when they smoke?

Seriously, I could gather at least a dozen quotes from posters right now that voice this issue...but the dispensary clerks (usually stoned) just give me that lame disguised blank face, while I watch their eyes wiggle and shift ever so slightly from side to side....LIAR, LIAR. So stupid that they think I wouldn't notice it.
    I spoke to a very vociferous doctor, who so far, has disappointed me even more. He acts like a Sheister lawyer. You just want to take a shower after wittnessing his sales pitch. It's like, in the rush to make sure MM stays legal in CO (which I fully support, even if it won't work for me), this doctor, and all those dispensary people are pretending that pot is all good, no matter what. That's even more bullcrap than the claim that prescription antidepressants are a miracle cure. No doubt they help a lot of people , and some have few if any side FX. But millions of people are really troubled by the way the pills affect them.
    I just wish these pot docs and dispensary dealers (they really are mostly just peddlers) would have the ****** integrity to tell the truth, and the wisdom to look into the issue.
    (Can you tell I'm in a lot of pain, and really in need of helpful medicine?)
    Thanks, folks. Really, I've seen more honesty and brains on this forum than at all the "medical" venues I've gone to.
    I am rightfully afraid (not paranoid) of toking up again, or of ingesting tinctures, because my recent experimentation has ramped up my pain, so I'm feeling sick and achy. I know it will pass, and I know it can take many weeks -even three months for THC to clear the body, but I really don't want to smoke or eat, only to find I'm extending my present mysery for longer.
    Hints, advice?
    Thanks.

17. After taking a hiatus of 25 years due to a job requiring random drug testing I believe I'm in a good position to evaluate old school weed with the stuff around today. No doubt today's weed is better looking than the old school weed from Columbia, Jamaica, Mexico or Thailand. For the most part in those days, they just dried the weed and then sold it in bales. Some of the real high quality weed like Jamaican Lambs Bread was manicured and cured properly...therefore remained green not brown. One Jamaican Grower I knew said they used to "dew" their weed to cure which amounted to putting it out at night for the dew to settle, then inside during the hot sun. It turned the weed brown and smelled like earth. Columbian weed varied from schwag to awesome depending on who you bought from. The best of the gold and red Columbian although not as pretty as todays individual manicured buds would rock my socks off....one or two hits from a pin joint would do it. Now, 25 years later I enjoy the weed today but not as much as primo Columbian Gold or Thai Sticks which were bright green and perfectly manicured and cured just like today's weed. Back in the day, good Thai Sticks sold for $200/oz. Jamaican commercial was $175/lb., Lambs Bread was commercially not available except to those who had friends who imported direct from the grower. Columbian Gold and Red could fetch close to $300/lb depending on quality.

Whenever I had some weight of Columbian Red or Gold, I'd always pick thru and get a stash of buds minus the shake that would fall off the buds. Shake and seeds were always present in those days but those in the business would always have their stash of beautiful buds.

The quality of taste and high was at least as good as todays weed but the average quality of weed wasn't as good in those days. You had to have good connections to get the best. Even today I long for a smoke of some excellent Columbian Gold or Red, a real Thai Stick or some killer Jamaican Lambs Bread.

18. that sounds real cool man :smoke:

19. His tolerance was lower than it is now.

/thread

20. Puppies don't get to end threads, and despite what the kids are all saying the best then was the as good as the best now. Y'all really, really need to get over that fact and move on. Yes I've said it a dozen times in numerous threads but I'll keep on sayin' it until it sinks into stoned skulls ;)