Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Old school strains - Where are you??? Acapulco Gold, Pananma Red, Columbian...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by FreeMJ, Sep 28, 2009.

1. took the words right out of my (fingers?)

2. you can talk potency in terms of head high or body high...If your going to argue you better understand that potency is only defined by the effect recieved by the user and we know that effects very from person to person. Thats why if you ask 100 people the best strain you will get 50 different answers.. That may be one reason for this phenomenon. Also there was more sativa going around back then. Now the market is dominated by the indoor grown indica and that is for obvious reasons. Its for money not getting the best high. The best highs ( not stones) come from sativa in my head

3. i was being sarcastic. cbd protects the brain and shifts the high to the body rather than having a strong haze like head high. its pretty much sativa vs. indica. thc can potentially cause those psychotic symptoms in some, cbd counteracts it, but if we breed out cbd and other cannibinoids, then thats not very pleasant for alot of people

4. standing ovation.

5. I'll be honest with myself and the rest of GC. I think you're nuts. I think the old shitty weed has gone to your head. When you started, you had to smoke 4 times as much as we do now. I'd much rather smoke a gram as opposed to four, get the same or possibly even better high, and save my lungs and brain. The more oxygen deprivation, more brain cells are killed. It's just a fact. I see where you're going, but I'll be honest it's completely out of whack.

You do realize that the THC:CBD ratio in many strains are actually balanced right? People who grow for medicinal dispensaries not only do it for the money, but I'm sure they have the same mentality as doctors. They want to help people. If you can show me research you've done showing that these 25:1 ratios are true, then maybe I'll take back my words.

But is it us who are falling into mental "retardation" so to speak, or is it you? Just a question.

By the way, it's still possible to get the old stuff. I've tried it, hated it, threw it away. It gave me a headache, and I had to smoke so much that I didn't smoke ANY weed for a week.

6. I agree with you OP. Too many people think THC is the only thing that matters.

They fail to realize there are other cannabinoides and terpenes that contribute just as much if not more to the effects than THC.

7. oxygen deprivation? killing braincells? from holding your breath for 5 seconds? :eek: :rolleyes:

idk about those cbd:thc ratios, but i think the way you smoke it also affects how you feel as well. For example....from what I've gathered, in the 60s/70s people smoked mainly joints. In my experience, joints give a much stonier, relaxing high, not quite as intense....as opposed to a bong or piece, which most people (at least here in the US) use today, which give a more intense, buzzed, "HOLY SHIT IM FUCKED UP" feeling. Also, (again, in my experience) the less fucked up I am, the more euphoria/happiness I can feel.

So basically, the stonier/relaxed/happy side could also come from the fact that people used to smoke more joints.

8. Yes, I understand holding your breath constricts the oxygen levels in your blood. But smoking tons of ANYTHING will deprive you of oxygen. Thus, creating oxygen deprivation. Honestly, I don't know how you can argue that man. If you actually do disagree with that, hold your breath for about a minute and a half. See how you feel.

9. who holds their hits for a minute and a half? unless you're taking several hits in a row without breaths in between, you'll be fine...

10. Truth^^^

11. I have Blue Dream, 100% sativa strain bred from landrace sativas, and it is the best bud I have ever smoked (second to Monkeys Paw).

True landrace sativas grown around the equator... they're amazing.

When I get to amsterdam I must sample Malawi Gold from Greenhouse Seed co....

12. A couple months ago I received an eighth of Malawi Gold Hash.

Probably the headiest but at the same the most relaxing high that I've ever experienced.

13. Did you not get what I was saying? If you need to smoke about two grams to get a pretty good high going, you need to smoke eight to get that same high. In turn, you're KILLING your lungs. Do you not get it? No one holds their breath for a minute and a half. I know. I'm saying that if you smoke as much as you would need to with Old School Shit compared to the modern strains, you'd be killing more brain cells. If you pass a gram blunt around in a cyph, you aren't taking as many hits. If you pass around 4, gram joints, there is more smoke involved, and more time holding your breath. Therefore, it creates a longer time of not breathing or breathing in something other than oxygen. It creates oxygen deprivation. Just stop arguing dude, you're wrong.

14. you do realise that after you take a hit you exhale and breath fresh air back in.:rolleyes:

15. The lungs have a limited capacity for gas exchange. After the first handful of seconds you're not absorbing anymore cannabinoids. Holding hits for a long time won't help you absorb anymore of the good stuff; you just cause the levels of CO2 and CO in your blood to rise.

16. Hey, buddy. Once brain cells die, they don't come back.

17. Somebody still has some they have to, and think about if they grew it like they grow nowadays shit would be bomb. And some of those strains were close to 100 percent indica and sativa.

18. hey bro, weed doesnt kill braincells, the test they did on those monkeys back in the 50's or whenever, they suffocated the monkeys for 5-10minutes pumping avg 60joints per sesion through a Oxygen mask 20 times a day.

19. Nobody is going to kill brain cells from holding a hit. It takes roughly 4 minutes of oxygen deprivation before neuronal damage sets in.

It isn't good for your lungs or heart though, and it won't get you any higher. None of that is the topic of this thread.

Contrary to what some are asserting in this thread the old strains when well grown were every bit as potent as today's strains. Today's strains are bred with profit in mind. Quicker finish, good bag appeal, and higher yield. That's all. You kids who don't like to hear that because you buy fancy 'medical' bud or have what you think is a bomb ass connection need to just get over it and live with it.

I was there. Most of you weren't.

20. exactly, my mom still had some Acapulco Gold in a Glass jar from over 30years ago. she said she was saving it to smoke with me when she first foundout i smoked. it was pretty bomb...